Miscellaneous

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies Providers Miscellaneous

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • Author

Meredith Pizzi

Keymaster

Christine Heaps

Participant

Do you have a question that doesn’t quite fit into one of the other categories? Do you have a new topic suggestion? Join us here!

Christine Heaps

Participant

I can’t decide if this post should be under “MISC” or “Self-care”. I guess I’ll go with MISC although, it is about caring for yourself! Last week, I was sick with a bad cold. I haven’t been that sick in a long time. I am still getting over it! I had to cancel 70% of my lessons/groups, which meant I lost 70% of my income from last week. My business is just me right now, and I don’t have anyone else to cover for me.

As a business owner, how do you plan for sick days? My experiences last week made me really think about needing to add “Paid sick leave” or “Paid time off” to my budget even though it is just me. What do you do when you have to cancel because of illness, vacation, etc? I was also thinking about trying to find someone who could step in at the last minute if I needed to cancel.

What do you think?

Looking forward to hearing from you!
      Christine

Anonymous

Inactive

This is a really good question Christine! I personally have not done a great job of budgeting for my business, especially not for sick and vacation. However, I have tried to put some policies in place to help me out when I’m sick or have an emergency. I’ve schedule at least 3 or 4 weeks where I can do a make-up class for Sprouting Melodies. It came in handy for me in February because of weather and I got the flu. I was thinking about also deciding when I might want to “vacation” or just take some time off and maybe work that in between sessions too. I decided to run on a 6 week class schedule and that leaves me some room in the summer and towards Christmas time.

Definitely would love to hear what others are doing. Thanks for posting this!

Christine Heaps

Participant

As a buisness owner, how do you handle taxes? Do you hire an accountant? Do you do it yourself? I have decided that paying a professional to handle my taxes is worth it! Also, what programs do you use throughout the year to keep organized? (Quickbooks, Wave, etc.?) I would love to hear what you are doing. I am still trying to figure out the best way to organize everything during the year so it is ready to go at tax time.

Christine Heaps

Participant

One more question for today. How were reginonal conferences? Did anything stick out to you that would benefit us as Sprouting Melodies Proviers and/or business owners?

Anonymous

Inactive

Hi Christine,

I have an account for my taxes. It costs a bit, but it’s worth it since I would not know where to start to do it on my own and I don’t have much time either. I currently have an invoice/receipt system for all of my income, but I have to start getting it into a spreadsheet so it is more organized. I’ve thought about looking into Wave. I’ve heard it works well and it’s free. Good thing is my silent partner, aka my husband, is a great support, helper, and very organized. So, I am going to be turning over that end of the business to him.

Christine Heaps

Participant

I’m definitely learning things as I go! This summer I was excited about tweaking my schedule so I could start earlier in the day and be finished earlier in the evening. It has been nice to be home at dinner time! Now I am realizing, after hours of working on the fall schedule, maybe I should have left everything the same. Do you change your work schedule in the summer or leave it alone?

Anonymous

Inactive

I changed a few clients who requested earlier times for the summer, but for the most part I have left everything the same. Mostly because I do not have enough child care to do earlier times of the day.

Anonymous

Inactive

I am wondering if anyone wanted to start a conversation on how to best utilize this forum or staying connected to support each other. I know it is tough to get on and check the forum, but I also know how useful it is to have all the providers staying connected and using the forum or some other communication tool to support each other. What are everyone’s thoughts?

Kathy Odenkirk

Participant

When trying to et a new Sprouting Melodies Program started in the community how many times (Summer Session 1, Summer Session 2, Fall, etc) have providers offered classes with no response before deciding that it might not work? I’ve done a lot of advertising, posted flyers, etc. I also found out, right after I posted flyers for my 2nd summer session classes that the local library is offering a “music & Movement” class this month. I know that it’s not the same as the SM classes, but to read their description parent may feel like it is the same – and its Free. How do I compete with that?

Christine Heaps

Participant

Have you offered any free demo classes? Free classes are not my favorite thing, but it does help! One of our previous SMP calls was about demo classes. You can find it here. It also might be that your prices are too high. That happened to me, but I would try demo classes first if you haven’t already. Is there a location other than the library where you could have your classes? I have had demo classes at baby stores. Some of the SM Providers also provide a monthly library class where the library pays for it, but it is free for the community. Hope that helps!

Anonymous

Inactive

Hi Kathy,

I would second what Christine stated. Free demonstrations are really the best way to show how Sprouting Melodies is different and it gets people in the door which is 1/2 the battle. I have offered them in a variety of places. A music store, children’s consignment shop, and the space I rent. If you can hook up with your local Macaroni Kid, they are always happy to sponsor a free event for their subscribers. I also gave a free demonstration to a local post partum group at a local hospital. Meredith is also a great resource, you can schedule a 15-20 min phone consult with her. You just need to call Leslie so she can put you into Meredith’s calendar. Meredith regularly shares, in the training, how she really became recognized in her community by being involved with the local library, chamber of commerce, and other family friendly places. She has stated that her families loved that they would see her in so many places and it made them feel comfortable and wanting to be apart of her Sprouting Melodies program.

You may also need to look at your prices. I currently charge a about $2.38 more a class than the local Music Together and Kindermusik classes. I did a pretty extensive market research at all the early childhood classes in my area and found most were charging about $15-20 a class. Meredith has found that charging a few dollars more shows the value of the class and people see something slightly more expensive as more value.

Kathy Odenkirk

Participant

Thanks Christine & Erika for your input! My local library doesn’t rent space out to anything that charges for it’s events, only for non profit type meetings – which is why I asked my church if I could use space there. I do teach piano at the local music store 1 night/week but I didn’t ask them about doing classes there because there isn’t any extra space. (all of the studio space is small rooms). My original price was based on part research, part advise, & part the need to have $$ left after paying the royalty fees. I lowered my price quite a bit & figured some $$ was better than none at all. My church is suddenly wanting to help me promote my “ministry” (classes) in anyway that they can so I am currently looking at holding a demo class or open house (come check it out, try the instruments type thing) on one of the days that I have already reserved the room at the church.
      Erika – we don’t have a Macaroni Kid here, what is it??

Anonymous

Inactive

Hi Kathy,

Almost every state has a Macaroni Kid. They are a national and local online resource for families. I found this Facebook page
      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wooster-Macaroni-Kid/193094204176673?sk=timeline
      Not sure if this is your area.

You can also check out the National Page and look do a search for state and towns.
      http://national.macaronikid.com

In NJ they are usually run by county. In my county they actually have one for the Western and Eastern part of the county.

Good luck!

Kathy Odenkirk

Participant

Beth – Thank you for the surprise in my mailbox recently! I haven’t read the book “How Children Succeed” and am looking forward to checking it out!

Elizabeth Schwartz

Keymaster

And thank you, Kathy, for believing in Sprouting Melodies and Raising Harmony!

Kathy Odenkirk

Participant

Guess the “4th time is a charm” for me! I am starting 2 small classes tomorrow – one for the 18mos – 3 yr group and 1 for the preschool age group. Now I will also have some “word of mouth” advertising to help get this new program started.

Anonymous

Inactive

Congratulations Kathy, wonderful news! Let us know how everything goes and you grow. I think it will help other providers to know what has worked for others!

The book Beth sounds like a good read. I am going to add that to my list 🙂

Christine Heaps

Participant

Congratulations, Kathy! That’s fantastic! Yes, do let us know how it goes!

Christine Heaps

Participant

Hey Everybody! One of my PT friends and I were chatting recently about tummy time. There is one mom in my SM class who is concerned that her five month old baby isn’t holding his head up like he should. Her doctor has told her that he needs more tummy time. Apparently, the baby screams when put on his tummy. I mentioned this to my PT friend, and she had some great suggestions! She said that the mom could get on her tummy and face the baby so he could still see her. My PT friend also suggested using a therapy/exercise ball for tummy time. Have you experienced this? Do you have any recommendations? How do you incorporate tummy time in a Sprouting Melodies class?

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content