Song Sharing and Songwriting Support

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies Providers Song Sharing and Songwriting Support

Tagged: 

Viewing 25 reply threads
  • Author

Erika (TeamRH)

Keymaster

Are you looking for new songs to add to your repertoire? Did you have a really great experience with a song in your Sprouting Melodies group recently? Do you have questions about writing your own songs? Share with us here!

Christine Heaps

Participant

Did you know that Beth regularly posts “Sing at Home” videos on the Sprouting Melodies website? I love these videos! I have found the songs and explanations very helpful. You can also share them with your Sprouting Melodies families. Here’s the latest: http://sproutingmelodies.com/2015/01/18/hows-weather-today/. Enjoy!

Christine Heaps

Participant

Does anyone have any animal songs they would like to share? I can only think of Old McDonald;) There’s got to be more!
        Thanks and Happy Easter!

Sarah jane Mason

Participant

Here’s a blog post I shared recently about a song simply called “The Tambourine song”.
      http://liferhythmmusic.com/blog/music-tools-the-tambourine-song-for-improving-gross-motor-an.html

It is a hit with my little ones from infant to toddler. The basic idea is just to present the tambourine for the child to hit once. With the infants it has been fun to watch them go from a bit hesitant with some startle response to sitting up tall and ready for the anticipation and excitement to get to “play”. I start going in order, and then the second round mix it up so they are learning to not only take turns, but also wait their turn.
      For the toddlers we play standing with each child on their color square. We utilize reaching high and low, cross body midline, one hand or two, and only right or left. This has become a much anticipated song in my groups, and I hope it can bring some fun to yours too!

(Has anyone heard this song before? I learned it in school but don’t know its origin.)

Christine Heaps

Participant

I love it! Thanks for sharing, Sarah!
        P.S. I love your website!!

Elizabeth Schwartz

Keymaster

Another great one, Sarah Jane. I didn’t know this song, but I do now. Thank you!

Anonymous

Inactive

Sarah Jane thanks so much for sharing this!! You just gave me a nudge to get out of my rut! I am definitely going to use this and I have a song or two that does something similar! Thank you thank you!!

Anonymous

Inactive

What songs and experiences is everyone doing in their current sessions? I was just thinking how much that one song Sarah Jane shared gave me ideas and a new song. I wondered if everyone shared what they were doing if we all would get some ideas and new songs!

I’ll go first:

I am only running a Family Sprouts Class right now:
      Open with “Hey! Hey! Come and Play!” using drums (we improvise with loud and soft, fast and slow, but the older kids have been asking to use animal sounds too)
      Hello: Meredith’s Song “Hello Everybody”
      Body Awareness and Small Motor Movement: Beth’s song “Shake Hands With Me”
      Lapride: A song I wrote called “Sleigh Ride” (I am a bit timid about songwriting but got inspired to write one for winter. This song is super simple, but the kids including the babies love when the wind goes “whoosh” and the older kids like to add that we see different animals on the sleigh ride. Sometimes we hide from the bears or we leap like the deer)
      Instrument song: Beth’s song “Sit Down With Me”
      Movement Song: “There Are Many Different Ways We Can Move Around The Circle” (I think this comes from one of my early childhood music books. I am going to take a look and see. (I love this song because we can move in a circle or move freely around the room. I have sisters who are 4 and 5 who love to be able to move how every they want wherever they want, but also need to be prompted back in the circle. The song really helps this!)
      Cool-Down: Beth’s song “Then I Know It’s Winter” (we are using scarves, but we will be changing to something spring like since we are all tired of winter in NJ!)
      Good-Bye Song: Beth’s song “Music Time Is Over”

I would love to hear what everyone else is up to!

Christine Heaps

Participant

Thanks for sharing, Erika! That sounds great!
      I tend to get in a rut with the songs, but I try to add one or two every few weeks. I use mostly Beth and Meredith’s songs. I have yet to be brave enough to approach songwriting…I have found that the parents enjoy cuddling and singing with their little ones during “You are my Sunshine” for the cool down. I have also been using the parachute with “Pick Your Hands Up High”. They love it! One problem I have is trying to rush through the songs at times to try to keep the older kids from getting bored. Then, I find that I have too much time at the end. I am sure this was covered in the SMP training, but how do you know when it is time to move on to the next song? We talked about repetition, but sometimes I feel like the parents are bored and the kids just aren’t ready to be done! Or the younger ones are still participating, but the older kids are running around. I would love to hear what everyone else thinks!

Anonymous

Inactive

I always have something Meredith and Beth said, during my training, in my head. Repetition, repetition, repetition. After you have sung it many times and you are feeling like you have sung it so much, sing it one more time :) Another thing that I remember from the training, that is really helpful, you only need to start with 8 songs for about 8 classes. And even though we are singing the same songs we never do it quite the same each time. I have two sisters, ages 3 and 4, who love to change how we sing familiar songs. One week they want to do animal sounds, the next week funny sounds, the next week we change the dynamics and the tempo, and the next week we do all of those things. And I find that when I first introduce songs I may sing the song the same for several repetitions so everyone gets comfortable with the lyrics and the melody, but then I try to make small changes based on the energy in the room. I find that I need to remind myself to do some songs shorter because I always find I am running over on time. There are definitely times I will check in with the older kids and ask, should we sing it again or are we ready for the next song?

I also find myself easily getting stuck in a rut with songs. But, I find I get in even more of a rut with the experiences. Example, we may do three or four different movement songs over several months, but it feels like we are moving around in the same way. The parents and kids are pretty creative and come up with different ways to move, but essentially we typically move in a circle. But, I really want to do something different with the movement. I would love to know more about your parachute and how you are using the song. I’ve also been feeling this way at times with the cool-down song. Sometimes I will change and do a book, but we have been using Scarves for a really long time. The kids seem to love them, but I feel like maybe it is time to try something different.

One way I find I help the parents to stay interested is to involve them in making choices for the music too. Especially for the kiddos that are too young to say how they might want to play. I also try to make time to say “what do the mom’s like?” or “what do the dad’s like?” and get the older children to ask their parents. The older kids love to play the “adult role” and turn to ask their parents what would you like to do.

I have also been nervous about writing my own music, but Beth’s book has really helped and inspired me. I have two original songs now and one I adapted where I changed the words of a holiday tune.

I am looking forward to seeing what everyone else thoughts and ideas are!

Anonymous

Inactive

Hi Christine,

Happy Easter! Beth has a great song in her book I believe it is called “About A Cow.”

I’ve also adapted Laurie Berkner’s “Pig On Her Head.” I have a handful of small stuffed animals for the children and they get to pick the animal, the body part to rest the animal, and we make the animal sounds too. I changed the words of the song to this:

(Child’s name) has a pig on her head.
      And she keeps it there all day.
      Oink, oink, oink

or

I have a duck on my nose.
      And I keep it there all day.
      Quack, quack, quack.

Christine Heaps

Participant

I just checked out both of these songs. They are great!
      Thanks for sharing!

Christine Heaps

Participant

Hey Everybody!
      Do you have any ideas for Autumn/Fall songs? What about a parachute song? I think it is time to switch things up a bit in my SM classes!

Anonymous

Inactive

Hey Christine…I am late to the punch. My class is getting started a little later. I had to change spaces and I also secured a new contract for my business starting music therapy program in a private special education school. With that being said, I am starting 1 class next weekend on Saturday the 26th. I am only offering one mixed age class because my schedule is a bit over full (this is a good thing!) and that is all I can do.

I am looking to do all new songs this go around and hopefully, fingers crossed, write one or two of my own. I did a one or two parachute songs in the past. They are a big hit!! The kids love to climb on it and be spun around, crawl under and watch the parachute go up and down and shake it!

The one parachute song I used I adapted from a movement song “Move Around The Circle.” I am almost positive it is a Raffi song. I changed the lyrics from: There are many different ways we can move around the circle – to – There are many different ways we can move with the parachute.

I’ll check back and let you know what music and experiences I come up with.

Anonymous

Inactive

So, I am starting to plan ahead for my Winter session. It looks like I will have a SM 1&2 and Family Sprouts Class. I have tried, over the past two years, to bring in as many new songs and experiences every 8-16 weeks. And I have many families that have been with me for over a year or more. I have begun to hit a “rut” of sorts. I would love some ideas for a bonding song, instrument song, movement, and body parts song. I feel like we do movement the same almost every time, except when we used a parachute. I would love some ideas on how to encourage some free movement and dancing. Typically we are always marching, jumping, running, walking, tip-toeing, flying, and etc. Bonding we have done the car seat, bike ride, row your boat, horsey, sleigh ride, and this past session using bells. I look forward to new ideas and songs!!! Thank you 🙂 (PS- I’ve written a few of my own songs, but I am a bit overwhelmed with my business hitting capacity that I don’t think I will be able to write anything for this session coming up.)

Christine Heaps

Participant

Hey Eveybody!
      During our December call, we learned some great new songs!The call recordings are on the Provider Resources Page (https://raisingharmony.com/memberships/smp/provider-resources/) I tried out “Jumping Up and Down” from the You an Me Makes We songbook. It was a hit! You should definitely add it to your repertoire especially if you have boys:)

Toni

Participant

Hi everyone! I’m glad to have finally become a SMP!! I have established a mini-trial contract with the local public children’s library for one session each of FS, SM1 and MM. I’m very comfortable with ages 12 months and up, but need ideas for working with 0-9 mos. and the brand new parent(s). Does anyone have tips & song resources to help get me started?

Thanks!
      Toni Neff

Toni

Participant

OK. I’ve got an outline of what I’ll do. I was hoping to be able to review the videos from when I took the training. Are they still accessible? I see updated slides – Nicely done!

Elizabeth Schwartz

Keymaster

Congratulations, Toni. I am so happy that you will be giving this service to your community. For your SM 1 babies and families you might try some of these songs from the Sprouting Melodies Sing at Home blog: http://sproutingmelodies.com/2015/02/11/really-like/; http://sproutingmelodies.com/2014/07/19/move-make-nicer/;http://sproutingmelodies.com/2014/06/18/im-glad-youre-baby/.

Michelle Muth

Participant

Hey everyone,
      I’m in a rut with the Greeting song, particularly for the Sprouting Melodies 2. I was using Beth’s “Good Morning” which works, but I’d like another song. For Sprouting Melodies 3 and Family Sprouts I use Meredith’s “Hello Everybody” and again, would like to find something new. Any suggestions?

Thanks – Michelle

Anonymous

Inactive

Toni the videos are available under the Provider Forum. I believe it says Sprouting Melodies Review. Each module is listed in order 🙂

Great question Michelle. I am also using Meredith’s Hello Everybody. In know Nordiff-Robbins has several Hello songs. I use to use a Hello Song to the tune Good night Ladies.
      Hello everyone
      Hello everyone
      Hello everyone
      And how are you today.

Love to hear other people’s suggestions.

Toni

Participant

Thank you, Erika. I had looked Under Sprouting Melodies review as well as under Sept. 2013 (when I took the training). I was letting you guys know that the videos do not appear to be available.

Thank you for the link Elizabeth. I had fun with 4 babies this morning!

Toni

Anonymous

Inactive

Hi Toni!

Thank you for pointing this out. I spoke with Meredith and she was able to figure out there was something missing so we can access the videos. She fixed the issue and they are up and running.

Christine Heaps

Participant

Hey Toni!
      Congratulations on getting your program going! I use many songs from the training as well as songs from Beth’s book (You and Me Makes…We). Good luck!

Christine Heaps

Participant

Hi Michelle!
      There was one song that I learned from a fellow MT-BC, but now I can’t remember it. If I do, I will let you know! Thanks, Erika for the Nordoff Robins suggestions. I have a book that I received many years ago but haven’t used yet. Thanks for the reminder that I should!

Kristina Rio

Participant

Hi Michelle! I am also using Meredith’s “Hello Everybody” in my SM groups. It has become a staple in my groups and a much loved familiar song by our families. One way that I have spiced it up to keep everyone engaged is by singing, “who is next?” IV-V-I. I then hold up my pointer finger and tell the kids and adults to blow on it like it’s a birthday candle. Then with a siren sound “whoooooo” I moved my pointer finger around the circle from where I am seated until it stops on the next child. This is a great way to keep the familiar but to add a bit of surprise and excitement to the song!

I know one of our other providers, Laura Micheli sometimes uses “Today Is A Beautiful Day.” in D Major
      “Hello, hello, today is a beautiful day.
      Hello, hello, today is a beautiful day.
      Hello, hello, today is a beautiful day.
      And I’m so glad you’re here.”

Verse: “Hello Kristina (musical pause wave and say hello)
      Hello, Hello, Hello.”

I hope this helps you out! I can’t wait to hear what other people are using as well!

Christine Heaps

Participant

Hey Everybody! Here is a song I wrote to use with shakers called “The Shakers Song”.<br />

Shake the shakers with me. Shake the shakers with me. (D-A7, A7-D)<br />
      Shake the shakers with me. Shake the shakers with me. (D-A7, A7-D)<br />
      Shake the shakers way up high (way down low, in your hand, on your arm, etc.)<br />
      Everybody shake.<br />
      Shake the shakers way up high. Everybody shake.<br />
      Shake the shakers with me. Shake the shakers with me.<br />
      Shake the shakers with me. Shake the shakers with me.<br />
      Shake! Shake! Everybody Shake.<br />
      Shake! Shake! Everybody Shake.

Christine Heaps

Participant

My apologies for the funky code stuff that appeared. Basically the chords are D & A7. There is a G during the second part (Shake the shaker way up high). I hope you get to use this! I am going to try it out this upcoming week!

Viewing 25 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content