Archived Conversations

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies Providers Archived Conversations

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

Meredith Pizzi

Here are some older tidbits from conversations that are worth holding on to…

Have a question you would like us to answer? Would you like to see if anyone else has some experience to share related to a struggle you have had in Sprouting Melodies groups? Post your questions here!

Michelle Muth

Participant

Hello all,
      I’m finishing up my first SM session and one of the big challenges has been encouraging the parents/adults to sing. They may be doing this on their own but I often the only one really singing in the sessions. I have one dad that comes and he sings the most! The women seem much more hesitant to do so.

Any tips on this one other than the existing SM sayings?

Thanks – Michelle

Anonymous

Inactive

Hi Michelle,

I like to tell my parents how children are most comfortable with their parent’s voices and love to hear their parents sing.

There are also a few SM sayings I found: *All through history singing to a child has always been a way to create and strengthen the loving bond. *When you are involved in music you support your child and show that you respect music and being in the music.

It seems like a lot of parents think they do not have great voices and that they are supposed to follow the “leader” and the leader does all the singing.

I’d love to hear how your groups are going! I just started running my first groups this month.

Erika

Elizabeth Schwartz

Keymaster

Hi, Michelle. Although we talk a lot about the child’s need for repetition, I have found that the grownups need repetition even more! It amazes me when an adult tells me that they really tried to remember ‘that song’ but could only recall the first line. And that was about “Wiggly, Jiggly Car”! So I try and assure them that we will be singing the same songs long enough for them to remember them.
      A second idea is to make recordings or hand out words. You have my permission to use any of my songs to record for your families as long as you are not selling the recordings.
      The last thought is about culture. I work in an area of Long Island that attracts numerous immigrant groups. Parents from Hispanic or African background sing right away with no apparent self-consciousness. The ones who are most silent are the young mothers.
      Hope this help, and keep the comments coming!
      Beth

Sarah jane Mason

Participant

Is anyone else super frustrated at the business side of running a business?! Why can’t I just do music that I am really good at? Current frustration is trying to set up registration and online payments through my website. I’m pulling my hair out about it when really I should be focusing on the structure of what I’m going to be doing in my groups for demos next week.

Anonymous

Inactive

I have been feeling the same way Sarah Jane. Running a business is really overwhelming and I do miss just being responsible for the music! I try to view this as a learning curve and that I will develop a new skill as a business owner. But, I think talking here and being supportive of each other can help this!

Sarah jane Mason

Participant

Erika, I’m on my third business set up in a new town. If I can ever help, let me know and I’ll do my best!

Anonymous

Inactive

Thanks Sarah Jane! I will definitely keep you in mind!

Kathy Odenkirk

Participant

During the class I remember Meredith and Beth talking about a resource manual that providers receive. It was also described in the info I printed out to read when I was deciding to become a provider. I’ve looked at all the resources online (they are great ! Thanks for providing them) but wondered if I this resource manual was something that would arrive in the mail. If so, I haven’t received my copy yet. I found a place to hold classes and plan on starting in July and want as much info as possible before I start. Thanks!

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content