Share Your Strategies

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies Training – January 2015 Week 9 Share Your Strategies

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author

Meredith Pizzi

Keymaster

Share some strategies you have used to assure every child in your groups is successful.

Jessica Bogacik

Participant

In my limited experience with kids, I have found that the variation in timbre, volume, rhythm, or tempo can be very engaging for children who may be losing focus. My past work has mostly been with pre-school age children, so another fun tool to use was taking advantage of their very active imaginations!

Leigh Ann Walberg

Participant

One strategy I have used for those harder to engaged pre-schoolers…if they are only engaged if they are playing with one particular instrument or a prop like a scarf, I will let them have that earlier in the session or keep it longer to encourage their participation. I find usually after trying this a couple times that they become more engaged in other parts of the session.

Natalie Condon

Participant

Being 100% present is a great way to make sure your class is successful and every child is benefiting. If I can really center myself beforehand so that for that session my only focus is providing the best music therapy experience then I know I am giving the child the tools they need to be successful. Being in the moment allows you to be attentive and responsive to the needs of the group and I think it’s one of our most powerful tools.

Mikhala Majeau

Participant

I think one of the best strategies is to be prepared! Be over prepared. I always like to have three or four plans in the back of my mind so that I can be flexible in the moment, and I’m not lost as to what to do next. I also really enjoy using sign language with little ones. I use it often, mainly basic signs, but I have found that the visual and auditory cue can be extremely helpful, especially when working with toddlers and pre-school age. I agree with Natalie that being present and centered before a session is a huge strategy to ensure success. Without being present, things are sure to slip by unnoticed!

Melissa Hentges

Participant

One strategy I use, especially for older children, is to give them choices and control whenever I can during a class. They might choose the instrument they play, the tempo we play at, the dynamics we use, the topic we’re singing about, etc. I have found that the more choice and control they have, the more they will be invested in the activity. With younger children, I use a lot of actions, visuals, and props to add layers of stimulation to an activity.

Elizabeth Schwartz

Keymaster

I love that several of you have used words such as ‘centered’ or ‘in the moment’. This understanding of the need to ‘be present’ with our children and families is a quality that is unique to music therapists and why we are so valuable to our communities and our families.

Steven Clarke

Participant

I agree that being prepared is huge, especially when you are prepared to expect the unexpected. I have spent a lot of time preparing sessions, and when the group members arrive, everything needs to be adjusted to meet them where they are at in the moment. This could mean improvising activities based on their responses or making sure you have several things to pull out of your back pocket. I also find it helpful in mixed age groups to let older children take on more responsibility through modeling responses and behaviors. It is important to make sure that they do allow the younger children chances to respond and participate as well. I find it sometimes helpful to direct the group’s attention to a participant who may be loosing focus or is not engaged and shift the groups movement/activity to reflect what that child is doing in the moment. This way they are included and supported by the group as a whole and their current level of participation is reintegrated as a group experience.

Jamie Sacca

Participant

I use a lot of positive reinforcement in my groups, as well as peer modeling. I also use limit setting and redirection, which I have found are extremely helpful! I have play therapy training and this has been invaluable in my practice of music therapy with young children and with their families.

Amanda Goff

Participant

I have not had experience yet with running a Sprouting Melodies class, but the main strategy I would use is to always be prepared and know my session plans. My knowledge of what needs to done and confidence in the session plan will have an influence on every child in the group and that child’s success. If I start the Sprouting Melodies class and cannot remember the words to a song that will not help the children in my group. If I am confused, then they are going to be confused. Another major strategy mentioned in the video is to be consistent with how you redirect, discipline and structure your session plans. I think to ensure success in your Sprouting Melodies class you need to have both consistency and structure within your class and session plan.

Michelle Nettle

Participant

As many in the group have expressed, it is VITAL that you come in with a prepared session plan, BUT at the same time be able to stay “present” and “flexible” in making changes as needed within the session in response to the children in your group. Some strategies I use include setting up “clear” expectations and doing so in a “Positive way.” So instead of saying “no talking” or “no hitting”, ext., I like to use the strategy of “Whole Body Listening. So I start out by briefly explaining what this means at the first group session. 1. Use “Listening Ears” (to indicate following directions) 2. “Listening Eyes”(to indicate paying attention) 3.Listening Mouth ( to indicate no talking or to encourage singing during a song) 4. Listening Hands (to indicate hands to ourselves or to encourage doing the hand movements or playing the instruments during a given song)5. Listening Body (to indicate staying in their own body space/not hitting others and doing the movements that the particular song asks for)

The above strategy of “Whole Body Listening” is obviously for toddlers and not babies 🙂

Linda Madler

Participant

My favorite strategies are over-planning (being in the moment), having a consistent routine (handling and putting away instruments) and singing a phrase like, “Let us make a circle….all sit down” to aid in transitions. If I am trying a new song or activity, I may put a few key words on the board to help me get through it. Also, I try to look at the room like a toddler and remove any obstacles/distractions to be sure we have a safe but engaging environment. I like to have a few moments to prepare to lead class.

Robyn Rutland-Coleman

Participant

In my previous experience as a Music Together teacher I learned about the importance of being well-prepared, just in terms of knowing your songs backwards and forwards, as well as (and this is going to sound terrible) simply learning the names of everyone in the class! I am not great with names, so I have to make an extra effort to commit them to memory. I understand the importance of creating a safe physical environment for the class, because not only do you have to protect the children from harm, but you as the facilitator can better attend to the other needs of the children and caregivers if safety is not a concern. Lastly, I think it is important to consider the ability of the parents to move with their children during a movement song, in terms of marching while holding their baby, or planning in such a way as to bear in mind how the children at a certain developmental level will probably move around (because you don’t want crawlers to be underfoot if they are likely to be exploring and your plan is for everyone to move around the room…).

I love that Sprouting Melodies builds in great strategies for success, such as emphasizing then need for flexibility in session planning and having smaller windows of ages in the class levels. Some things I want to bear in mind when running sessions are to have a consistent routine for transitions (and music to go with them), feeling okay with having a potentially difficult talk with a parent when I see a possible red flag in their child’s development, and explaining/leading by example in how I relate to the children in the class that a range of responses are to be expected and are okay.

Kristina Rio

Participant

Robyn, I’m glad you talked about remembering everybody’s names! What helps me is we have a class roster that we have printed for attendance, so I always have that as a backup if needed. Also, the first few classes I like to give everyone stick on name tags including the adults. This gives the adults the opportunity to learn other caregiver names. That way they are more likely to make connections. Also, I write down the name of the caregiver on my roster so I can remember the next week. The name tags can be weened off after a couple of weeks. Also, if you have babies or toddlers that are distracted by them or peel them off, put them on their back!

Anonymous

Inactive

You’ve each pointed out excellent strategies that help to make groups successful. Finding that balance of creating a clear structure, being well prepared, and also being flexible and in the moment are a large part of making each group a success.

Kayla Hamilton

Participant

An important strategy is being flexible which includes having multiple instruments available, knowing additional rep, and being okay with things changing or developing into something else than you originally envisioned. It is also important to give children choices throughout the session. With my clinical experience, I have noticed that when children feel that they have a say/have control compliance and participation is increased.

Lauren Servos

Participant

I agree that taking a moment to center yourself before a group begins is vital to being present during the class. Beth, thanks for pointing out that being present and responding to the needs of the group is unique to music therapists. While other music educators might also respond to the needs of the group in some ways, they do focus on teaching what they planned to teach, whereas a music therapist has the ability to create a whole new plan on the spot if it would be better for the group. This is one of the reasons I was ready to stop teaching Kindermusik – I didn’t like feeling like I needed to stick to a plan because that’s what was in the book.

Amanda Barnett

Participant

I have not worked in a group setting since internship but when I work with kiddos in their homes I often have siblings include themselves in the session. I make sure to make eye contact with all involved, say their names when addressing them so they know that I know who they are and that they are recognized as part of the group and encourage all involved to share and take turns equally (wording may vary depending on the age of those involved). I also make sure to have extra songs or activities in my “bag of tricks” incase what I have planned doesn’t exactly fit the situation or catch the attention of everyone involved. Being prepared is a very good thing but I’m not sure that there is such a thing as being overly prepared in this profession as we never know what curve ball may be thrown our direction.

Kathy Odenkirk

Participant

To assure success for my Head Start preschool children during music therapy sessions I try to meet the child at their level -we start with what they can do (their strengths) and use those, along with the music, to work on their needs (why they were referred to music therapy). I am supportive and encouraging in all of their efforts. I support the children through praise, of course, but in other ways such as giving them an opportunity to contribute to the session by helping choose an activity or being helpful to a new peer.

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content