Tell Us About Your Instruments.

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies Training – January 2015 Week 7 Tell Us About Your Instruments.

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author

Meredith Pizzi

Keymaster

What kind and brand of instruments are you using in your groups with children of this developmental level?

Jessica Bogacik

Participant

None yet! But I think that it’s definitely important to consider choking hazards with this age group. I also really like the idea of having a large gathering drum in the middle of the room to encourage the children to come away from their parent to explore an instrument and make musical choices.

Natalie Condon

Participant

I don’t have a very extensive instrument collection for this age range yet, but I am very interested to hear what the Instrument Kit is that the current SM Providers use. I would love a gathering and/or ocean drum, scarves, and the maracas are essential.

Leigh Ann Walberg

Participant

I have not worked with this age group yet, but when I’ve ordered for the toddlers I work with, I usually order from West Music and like their selection of instruments for the young. I did find it interesting, that jumbo chiquitas, vs. regular chiquitas work best.

Kayla Hamilton

Participant

We use baby tambourines and shakers (I can provide a link if anyone wants it). We also use the regular size chiquitas, frame drums, and bells.

Mikhala Majeau

Participant

I have a small music instrument collection, but I don’t have any for this age group yet.
      I would also love to know more about the SM kit!
      I would ideally want scarves, a remo NSL gathering drum, Hoerner Kids Tube Shaker, remo shape drums, ankle and wrist bells, hoerner kids Maraca, Remo kids hand drums.

Michelle Nettle

Participant

You need to use instruments that will allow the child as much independence as possible, so the instruments need to be easy for the child to grasp and not too heavy. I have always got my instruments for music therapy at West Music, but I do not currently have “Early Childhood” friendly instruments such as the maracas with the circle handle, or jumbo Chiquita’s. I do have a large remo gathering drum and the remo “tom-tom” drum that Elizabeth was playing . Like the rest of the group, I would LOVE to know what a good Sprouting Melodies Kit exactly entails and where to buy each of these instruments…Merideth or Elizabeth…could you provide the group with a list of instruments and where to buy them?

Amanda Goff

Participant

For this age group I have a number of small shakers and the small chiquitas as well. I have used egg shakers in the past, but with five year olds so I will take Meredith and Elizabeth’s advice and probably will not use those with this age group in order to be safe. I have a few large gathering drums and love the idea of having a gathering drum in the center of the circle in order to encourage participation and exploration from my group.

Melissa Hentges

Participant

The most common instruments I use with this group are jingle bells, chaquitas, drums of various sizes, and small tambourines. I have a large, flat, shape drum but would love to get a large gathering drum. I also use scarves pretty frequently. I’m not partial to any particular brand.

Lauren Servos

Participant

I often use instruments from the Hohner Kids Baby Band. I also love the Remo Radiant tambourine, which kids this age love to stare at, smack, and gently poke at the jingles. Another favorite is the Remo Kids Make Music Ocean Disc, with it’s shiny beads inside. Oh, and one bell jingles and jumbo egg shakers. It is so much fun to watch kids this age explore instruments!

Steven Clarke

Participant

I use a variety of colorful shakers, colorful jungle/animal print smaller drums including frame drums, paddle drums, bongos, djembes, tubanos, bells, small tambourines and cabasas. Appropriate and/or adaptive mallets. Takamine acoustic guitar.

Linda Madler

Participant

I generally use plain instruments–rhythm sticks, grooved rhythm sticks, jingles, shakers, drums–unpainted and natural wood finish and always have enough for all to play, though sometimes I will put out a basket of many kinds and we explore. With my older students, I don’t have to worry about who gets which color, etc., and all of the children seem to be more creative in their playing. I appreciated the discussion on the chiquitas, too. I will keep that in mind when I add to my collection.

Robyn Rutland-Coleman

Participant

I don’t have any instruments specifically for this age group yet, but I appreciate the suggestions made in the video this week. I was especially interested in the recommendation against egg shakers for this age, as I was given these, by my supervisor, for use in all age groupings of the Music Together classes I taught (before music therapy came into my life!). I do think these can be a choking hazard, and while I fortunately never had a problem in my classes, it did cross my mind that a particularly zealous kiddo could squeeze one into their mouth!

For an early childhood class, as well as a music therapy group for this age, I will definitely invest in a gathering drum, which is a great way to bring the children together and for them to gain a sense of grounding and community as they experience the drum and its vibrations together. I did have an ocean drum that was much louder than I had anticipated (a good reason to not go for the cheap option…), and has since been donated to the music teacher at my sons’ school. I have colorful scarves and would like to purchase either a parachute or a colorful stretchy band to use with a group.

Anonymous

Inactive

In my Sprouting Melodies classes I use a variety of children’s instruments that are accessible for ages 0-5. These include baby instruments such as the Honer Baby band and Nino makes some great things for babies. I also use a variety of children’s drums, maracas, tambourines, all different kinds of bells, rhythm sticks, and pitched instruments like resonator bells. I have also passed on to Meredith, Beth, and Kristina your questions about what they recommend. Check back to see their responses.

Kristina Rio

Participant

In my classes, I use a lot small percussion instruments. I have used maracas, a variety of different sized frame drums (Remo), bongos(remo), claves, rainsticks, jingle bells, triangles, castanets, guiros, lollipop drums, tambourines, floor toms (remo), cabasas, etc. I usually put out what is developmentally appropriate for each class. I also like to use mallets with a heavy rubber head so that it is durable when chewed on.

Jamie Sacca

Participant

I use instruments from basic beat and remo most. I use the chiquitas, the egg shakers, the small tambourine with the curved handle for easy grip, the ocean drum, lollipop drums (when they’re not mouthing too much), and a small rain stick and some small hand drums. I also use a remo bongo drum that is easy to play and has nice resonance.

Elizabeth Schwartz

Keymaster

Thank you for all the suggestions on instruments. This is certainly a topic we can discuss more during our Sprouting Melodies Training conference call tomorrow night, Monday March 9 at 8 pm EST. Hope you can join us!

Kathy Odenkirk

Participant

When I worked at an Early Head Start program a few years ago I a Kid’s Gathering Drum (Remo), a Wave drum (an early childhood version of an ocean drum), a rainmaker (colorful plastic rainstick), and shakers. I also have a set of the jungle themed Remo Nesting Drums.

Amanda Barnett

Participant

I don’t have any group sessions at the moment but I have a few teens & young adults that are in some of these developmental stages. We use a lot of guitar, egg shakers, small maracas, tambourines, a keyboard & paddle drums. We also use visuals, toys and books a lot when appropriate. I would really like to build my mobile ensemble and get more drums and small instruments but it’s hard to find things that are sturdy & affordable.

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content