What value do music therapists provide to young families?

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies – September 2023 Week 4 What value do music therapists provide to young families?

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author

Julie Palmieri

Participant

What value do music therapists provide to young families?

Olivia Todd

Participant

Music therapists provide many things to young families. One thing that music therapists provide is a safe space to have fun and bond with their child. It is more than okay and encouraged to be silly with your children! Music therapists can also provide assurance to young families. It can be an intimidating time to be a new family and there are so many things to keep track of, a music therapist can assure a parent that it is okay that their child threw an instrument or is putting it in their mouth.

Amy Calderon

Participant

I completely agree Olivia! Silliness is so important and learning how to play in general! So many adults have forgotten how to play.

Elmira Abasova

Participant

I agree with Olivia that music provides a safe space and fun for families. Group sessions give a sense of community and bring like-minded people together. Music therapists can assist parents by showing them different than verbal ways of communication with their children. Also, therapists provide caregivers with ideas of how to teach through music.

Erika (TeamRH)

Keymaster

This is a wonderful question to remember when you are presenting your work to families and organizations. It helps remember the unique service we provide and how we can be a resource to to them.

Thank you for each of your insights. I highly recommended reading fellow participants submissions as it can support you as you advocate in the future.

Lydia Westle

Participant

Agreeing with all of the sentiments above, music therapy can provide opportunities for bonding, connection and developmentally appropriate stimulation, especially for young families. In a time of so many transitions and adjustments that can often times feel overwhelming, music therapists can help provide opportunities for empowerment, structure and routine, while also helping families to experience meaningful moments together.

Daniel DeLucia

Participant

Echooing from what other members have mentioned, I would say that music therapy provides and opportunity for creative engagement and bonding between parent(s) and child. It offers opportunities for development through different mediums (singing, playing, dancing, listening) and above all, is a space that is safe and fun for both parties. I think music being that safe space is important within the Western cultural context as many parents now often have busy lives working and might not have time to engage and play with their child through the medium of music therapy. So, music therapy can in addition to being a safe space for families, often provide moments of catharsis and deepening of relationships.

Maura Nicholson

Participant

Everyone has identified some really thoughtful values that MTs bring to the families we work with. Personally, what comes to mind first is creating a safe place for children to express themselves creatively without judgement and too much restriction. I feel that this kind of outlet is so crucial in building the foundation of a child’s confidence and self-esteem as they grow into their own person.

Kate Jihye Choi

Participant

I strongly agree with you all above. In addition, I would say Music Therapists can allow families to build a relationship between the children and parents/caregivers. I see various types of families, and sometimes, it is not just the form of the mother, father, and child. It could be legal guardians, foster parents, and other family members. Music can bring a playful atmosphere to get along with each other spontaneously, interact naturally, and share the exact moment of being present. Through that moment, the parents/caregivers could learn about their children and how to interact with them.

Courtney McDonald

Participant

Music can provide so many opportunities for young families. I agree with everything said in the above posts. Particularly, I have seen music provide safe spaces for families to experience positive participation in a group with their children. Music can provide deeper bonding and connection within all types of relationships. Music also fosters different types of healthy interactions.

Camryn Gallagher

Participant

Music therapists provide a safe space for young families to connect with other families in similar situations. I also love the idea of music therapy spaces offering a space where children can just be themselves and have ALL of their contributions and behaviors celebrated. There is no “good” or “bad” behavior, just communication of need and responses to the environment. I remember my favorite part of being an intern in pediatrics was having the opportunity to show families not just where their child is “failing,” but the areas where their child shines.

Amy Calderon

Participant

Music Therapists create an opportunity for families to bond together by having them collaborate in song. Music therapists are also helpful in having parents understand what is normal in development. They can teach parents the importance of allowing for transitions and maybe families can incorporate these songs into their daily routine. They teach young families tools to use music in order to structure their day.

MacKenzie Lyons

Participant

Similarly to what many have already shared, music therapists are able to provide young families a safe space to explore and learn in a judgment free environment. These days many new parents are bombarded with “advice” and criticism from other people, but in music therapy we are able to provide helpful tips for new parents and give them the opportunity to implement it in their own way in their own time.

Jessica Solimini

Music Therapists create a safe environment for children and their caregivers to play, learn, and explore. They allow children and their caregivers to bond and have fun together! They can also provide parents with tools to support their child’s development, as well as reassure them that the development they are seeing is appropriate.

Reagan Rademacher

Participant

Music Therapists provide opportunities to explore and play in a safe, supportive environment. They can allow for flexibility and exploration in instruments, movements, and songs to help foster the children’s creativity and natural musicality. Music Therapists also provide a wonderful opportunity for children and caregivers to bond through silly and playful fun! Music Therapists can also provide parents with musical tools to use outside of sessions and information on their child’s developmental level.

Erika (TeamRH)

Keymaster

This is a great question to save when you are sharing with others about how your work is unique and meaningful.

Mark Dunford

Participant

Music therapists provide a unique space for total expression and acceptance. Kids are praised and encouraged to be express themselves and allow their unique musicality to develop as they are. Music therapy meets kids and their families where they are and seeks to understand what the parents may want to get out of music therapy. While also illuminating parents/caregivers to all the wonderful and significant musical interactions their kids are engaging in within music therapy sessions and how those can be indicators of development/growth/self-expression, joy and anything else a child may experience in music therapy and/or over the course of treatment. Music therapy can also be a unique and fun bonding experience for kids and their parents/caregivers.

Billie Junget

Participant

Music therapists provide a different way of looking at early childhood development and music. With the knowledge and training, we can point out those “musical milestones” and teach parents more about their little ones from a different lens. We also provide a safe space for young families to learn, grow, play, and do it all together! We bring lightheartedness and music to families, as well as education, fun, and bonding.

Lincoln Bowen

Participant

Music therapists, as many have said, create and hold a unique space. Within this space, every response is the correct one. Families only need to be. We provide a non-threatening environment where families can play and explore at their own pace- and create connections through that process. While facilitating that space, we possess particular insights as to possible meanings behind behavioral responses- and are able to validate caregiver’s experiences alongside their children’s developmental experiences.

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content