3 questions

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

Caroline Gillott

Participant

I have questions that popped up as I was listening to the videos:
      1. You might cover this again in a future week but I didnt’ want to forget to ask: In the first video (I think) you said that during “instrument exploration” you check-in with families or register with families and accept payments. But, in SM1 you skip this step. When does all that take place for SM1?
      2. Song question–approximately how long does each song last for SM1?–Having a young-one I know that she could listen to the same song over and over again. How do you know when to move on? I’m figuring that it really depends on the group and the children’s responses but, what cues have you seen (to either continue or end) from the children? Is this decision usually initiated by the therapist or is it usually group/child initiated?
      3. In Video 1 13:45-ish I couldn’t hear what Meredith said in regards to family sprouts. She said something like someone can’t take the same class because… I just couldn’t hear who she was referring to and what the answer was.

Thanks!

Meredith Pizzi

Hi Caroline,
      Thanks so much for posting all of these questions “Before you forget!” I love that!
      So let’s go through each one.
      1. In Sprouting Melodies 1, you are correct there is no instrument exploration. However, they come in with a lot of stuff, a baby who needs to be unbundled or taken out of their car seat or baby carrier, they have a diaper bag to set down, and maybe get out a baby blanket. While all of those things are happening, the parents will naturally engage in conversations with you and other parents. During this time, I do have recorded music on in the background and I use some of Beth’s embedded songs to engage the babies and the parents. I will also check in with them, register or take care of payments during this time. With all of the classes, the registration has to take place before the official start time of the class. For example if the class is scheduled to begin at 10:00am, the live music-making and interaction has to begin at 10am. Not later! With Sprouting Melodies 1, it’s also good to have them last so parents can take their time with feedings, diaper changes, or just packing up their stuff. I often do a lot of registrations and conversations for this group at that time as well.
      2. How long does each song last in SM1: This question made me laugh, because Yes! You can do the same song for 20 minutes sometimes!! There have been times when I will look at my watch and realize we have been on the same song for 15-20 minutes, and by that time I can usually point out to parents, “Look what they are doing!! They wouldn’t be doing that if we had moved on after just a couple of repetitions.” Usually on the movement songs when we are clapping, patting knees, and stamping, or even the Nordoff Robbins Hello Song which I use a lot when you stretch it out and get them vocalizing with long pauses in the music, it can go on for a really long time! I know it’s time to move on when one of the older babies seems to be getting antsy or bored or when after multiple repetitions with good engagement, I sing through the same song 2 or 3 times, and I haven’t gotten any new responses. So for example, I’m singing a Gathering Song, or an Instrument Play Song, and the babies are looking, making eye contact, moving their bodies or the instruments and after 5 or 6 times, I notice that I didn’t get an new responses, there was no movement to the next level. I will try again with slightly different musicality trying to draw them in to playing, or singing, or moving, and if there is still no significant movement from the babies, I may end it there, or I will say out loud, “Ok, we are going to do this one more time to see if any of the babies want to add something new, and if not, we’ll move on.” I often use the sign language also, for “one more time” and that keeps the parents engaged, teaches them a new tool and sometimes the kids respond really well to that as well and will refocus their attention.
      3: What was Meredith saying??? 🙂 I will apologize in advance for my fast speaking, and please know that Beth and I are working on having a professional videographer join us soon so we can re-record some of these videos that are harder to hear! And I know you can’t always see the power point, just consider it a guide for us! About what I was saying,I will go back and listen again, but what I think I was probably saying is that in Family Sprouts, it is a chance for parents who know each other and want to take a class together, but have different age children to participate in Sprouting Melodies together. Sibling pairs also work well for this class, but we’ve had cousins, neighbors, and friends sign up for Family Sprouts just so they could be in the same class with a friend, even though they weren’t in the same age grouping. Does that make sense?? I will go back and check the video too, but I think that’s what I was probably trying to say!
      Thanks again for posting your questions! Any other questions that folks have at this point in the training?? Post them here!

Nancy Bair

Participant

1-The question I had is (maybe you’ll cover this later…and I haven’t gotten there yet), how do you structure you time if you are doing back to back classes, of varying ages/levels. Do you allow 15 minutes in between classes? It’s been my experience in the past that if you have extra time in between classes, many times they parents want to come and talk to you–which is fine–but makes set-up/clean-up hard. I’m thinking if I did two classes back to back, how would that work.

2-Also, if I was using instruments would I need to purchase more so I have them all sanitized and ready for each class or would there be time in between to clean them? (sorry, after the last few weeks we’ve had with illness, sanitizing is high on my priority list right now).

3-I love how you referred to sign language teaching. Although I’m not an expert AT ALL in this area, I have found that signing has greatly increased my capacity to communicate with my children. My twins did their first sign (more) at 10 months!! (ok, sorry for the brag, I just love those two!). Do you recommend adding signs or perhaps creating a song to help teach and facilitate a sing for the parents to take home with them?

Also, unrelated, I had a hard time hearing parts of this video too, I didn’t write down the specific time (sorry! I will record them if it happens again).

Nancy Bair

Participant

oops! I forgot, I do have one more question…You mentioned about helping recognize potential delays in the babies and/or postpartum depression in the Moms. Have you ever had this type of conversation with the parent? How did it got and how did you approach them about it?

I am wondering because after I had my second and again (much worse) with my twins, I sunk into postpartum and I put a strong face for EVERYONE. Sometimes you are soo tired that one more person suggesting that something is wrong with you is just too much. It’s a fine line. Speaking from personal experience, it is hard to have someone tell you that something is wrong with you, or with your child. You get that “ooohhhh” that is so awkward when they ask, “are they doing ___ yet?” and you answer “no.”

I’m thinking perhaps maybe to have (I know there are several resources through early intervention, etc.) some printed literature available for parents to take if they feel they need with resources on them to contact?

Kristina Rio

Participant

Hi Nancy.

1- I usually leave 15 minutes in between to transition families out, wipe off instruments and set up again. Luckily I have help at our office, so there is always someone else at the front desk helping families out the door or taking registrations. There is no wrong way to structure it. If you need more time in between classes, then see if you can shift things so you have a little more time.

2- I usually clean the instruments in between because I have up to 12 families in one class that’s 24 people minimum in the group, and grown-ups play the instruments too. I do however usually keep a clean bin of maracas handy so if I don’t have time, I can just swap them out.

3- For sure I would recommend you use sign language. I only know a few signs such as “music”, “more”, “clean up”, “all done”, “fast”, “slow”, “stop”, “thank you”, and “time”. Those are the signs I use most often in my groups. A song to teach the kids and parents functional signs that they can implement at home and with a song is a wonderful idea. Go for it!! Share with us what you come up with!

Your last question would be best answered by Beth or Meredith. I will email them to let them know so they can hop on and respond!

Let me know if you have any other questions. You can email me at kristina@romanmusictherapy.com

Elizabeth Schwartz

Keymaster

Hi, Nancy. Thank you for your thoughtful questions and for sharing the often hidden struggles that parents (okay I am really talking about moms) have every day. As I read your posting, pictures flashed in my mind of the many moms that I have had that really hard conversation with. One of the reasons we are so passionate about qualified people such as music therapists running early childhood programs is because we have the skills and the responsibility to be an honest and intuitive resource. After 25 years of working with families and little children, I firmly believe that, as painful and uncomfortable as it can be, it is best to speak up when we see significant issues with either the mom or the child. Here are some of my strategies for making that ‘talk’ go as best that it can for all involved.
      * When starting any new group, I work hard to create a non-judgmental and supportive community. I will often joke with the parents and say “Look, the door is closed and it is just us. Be who you are and let your child be who they are. And what happens in this room, stays in this room.” I take this confidentiality very seriously and never discuss issues about the parents or kids outside of the room.
      * It is so important to develop really good observation and assessment skills. That is why knowing development and red flags is so important. Sad to say, I have gotten really good at assessment of difficulties. I often wish I were wrong, but I rarely am.
      * I choose the time and location to speak with a parent very carefully. If there is no privacy during the group, I might call them on the phone later.
      * I never start by telling a parent there is a problem or what they should do. Instead I ask them how I can do my job better. What can I do differently that will help them or their child? For a mom who seems to be depressed or exhausted, I would first thank them for making the effort to come to group, and then ask them what I can do to make it easier for her to get in the door, or chase after her child or…whatever seems to be the hardest. I might follow up with a statement like “We are all in this together. It takes a village to raise a child.” I try never to ask leading questions, but to make statements that lets them know that I am ready and willing to be supportive and accepting.
      *Your idea of printed resources is great. Giving the parent some time to think and then come to asking for help on their own is ideal. Often I will give them out to all the parents so I am not singling out one person.
      *What I have experienced is that often moms know when something is not right, and underneath it all they welcome the chance to unburden themselves to another person who can offer help.
      Thanks again for opening up this thread of conversation. Please add any ideas or comments from your own experience. I know it will be helpful for your fellow course members.

Nancy Bair

Participant

Elizabeth-
      I agree with you completely. As a music therapist, I think we all develop very strong observation and assessment skills quickly and I can see how this can benefit the parents greatly when ‘potential’ issues (with Mom or Baby) are pointed out sooner rather than later.
      As far as postpartum depression, specifically in my case, I tried so hard to keep up with things. I told myself that if I could do this one thing (you fill in the blank–could be taking them to sprouting melodies) it would make up for the feelings of complete failure I had as a mother. Then to actually do that one thing and have it not turn out well or maybe the baby has a blowout or screaming fest while I am there, it would absolutely devastate me–especially since I made such an effort to go. I would be embarrassed, I would probably not go back, even risk losing the money I paid to participate in the one thing.
      All the other moms would be dressed (not disheveled like I was), hair done, make-up on, and seemed happy. It all was too much to take in. The thing I didn’t realize at the time is that many of those moms are in the same boat and need to have the same positive reinforcement as I did.

If I were to put myself as a parent with my child in a Sprouting melodies class, when I had postpartum, I would say the best approach to me would’ve been similar to what you have said above. “We are all in this together.” “Just being here is important.” “It takes a village to raise your child (believe me, with the twins this is SO true for us!)” I think these reassuring statements go a long way. Also, having the teacher come up to me after and tell me how happy they were to see me (regardless of what kind of day my child or I had in the class) would also be very helpful.

I like having resources available like early intervention as well as PPD support groups, etc. My twins are actually in early intervention and I have found the program to be absolutely wonderful. The social worker checks in with me and really helps me realize how far I have come.

I might have some type of statement like this if I notice someone with similar needs as I have had: “What a great opportunity you are giving yourself and your child. Do NOT underestimate how important you are and how special you are to your little one.” I would probably add onto this, but something similar, and I would say this at the end of the class so those that are late (that would have been me…) can still hear these words.

I feel really strongly that a program like sprouting melodies, provided by music therapists with the training to assess and observe so many development traits and psychological difference, will really be an assest to mothers who have PPD or children who need extra support through their developmental stages.

I feel like I’m going on and on. Hope this makes sense.

Sarah jane Mason

Participant

This brings up a point I have always wondered about. It seems in this day and age there are so many misdiagnoses and life changes because of a diagnosis. Because of that I have been hesitant to voice my opinion if I notice a child having issues developmentally for his age. I was told in school that it’s not our job to diagnose a child (obviously) but what if I voice a concern to a parent and then they go through testing and determine nothing is really wrong. Maybe I just need to trust my education and training more. This issue has always been something I’ve been uncomfortable about in early childhood groups that were not music therapy specifically. Is it my ethical responsibility as a MT to advise the parent of my observations?

As for cleaning instruments, Darcy Walworth highly recommended in her Bright Start session at conference, the use of Microban. She said it is sprayed on and creates an anti bacterial barrier on the instruments for months! It’s pricey but she stood behind it even for her work in hospitals where cleaning is extremely crucial. They even sell it on amazon. http://www.amazon.com/MICROBAN-221522000-Disinfectant-Spray-Plus/dp/B008699FZ8/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hpc_2/188-9435790-1938355?ie=UTF8&refRID=11F2VRG42JP4SFATW2XR

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content