Can't post to thread

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies Training – April 2016 Week 6 Can't post to thread

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author

Elizabeth Carras

Participant

I’m getting an error message when I try to submit to the “5 words” thread so I’ll attempt to post here:

Awareness; Bonding; Supportive; Adaptable; Trust

“[Your child] is doing some great watching as you move that [scarf, shaker, etc] for him/her to follow! You can tell s/he is really focusing on the music.”
      “Your baby loves your voice best. There is no wrong way to sing with your child. If you sing something different from what I’m doing, that’s not necessarily wrong it’s just a different idea, and this is a space where you can learn and practice songs to use at home.”
      “It doesn’t matter if your child is [moving, shaking, tapping] to the beat that I’m playing. She is doing exactly what she is supposed to do, and is exploring music in her own way.”
      “It is fine that he is mouthing on that shaker – I always make sure to clean them before and after each class, and babies learn about their environment through their mouths. He is letting us know he is curious about this music.”
      “Choosing not to look toward the sound of the music, or choosing not to play along with the rest of the group is a perfectly normal and acceptable response. At this stage in development babies can choose to look or not to look, and it is fine to allow them that choice to not actively engage.”

_Before You Start: Have recorded music playing to create a welcoming space and let new families know they are in the right place. Allow families to arrive and get settled, bringing in carseats and diaper bags _Hello Song: Sing hello to each child in the group, and encourage parents to gently touch their child somewhere on their body as the group sings their name. _Lap Bounce/Bonding Song: “Bumpin’ Up and Down in my Little Red Wagon” Have parents/caregivers gently bounce their child on their lap as we sing this song together. Easily adaptable for changes in tempo, dynamics, and articulation. Repeat. _Instrument Playing: “In My Little Hands” Provide chiquitas or baby shakers, and encourage parents/caregivers to stimulate the palm of their baby’s hand with the handle of the instrument to activate the grasp reflex. It is fine if the babies do not grasp the shakers the whole time, although some may. Grasping it briefly or watching their caregiver shake is also active engagement in music. Repeat. _Movement: “Little Green Frogs” song. This is a sort of musical peek-a-boo that also provides modeling for babbeling and facial expressions. The words to this song go, “Mmmm-AH! went the little green frogs one day, mmmm-AH! went the little green frogs. Mmmm-AH! went the little green frogs one day, and they all sang mmmm-AH-mmm.” Have parents and children facing each other, with the child sitting up facing the parent or lying on the parent’s lap with the parent bent close. On each “mmm” have parents cover their own faces, and on each “AH!” have them pull their hands away and make a surprised face. _Cool-down: “Twinkle Twinkle Little Star” Have the babies return to their parents laps and have each family sway together as they sing this familiar song. _Goodbye: “Now the Time for Music is Done.”

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content