Challenges of Providing Multi-Age Groupings

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies – January 2023 Week 8 Challenges of Providing Multi-Age Groupings

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Julie Palmieri

Participant

Share some thoughts about the challenges of providing multi-age groupings.

Jorden Liteplo

Participant

In my personal experience this is even harder if you have a small group. I have to be so intentional that my music choices hit multiple developmental levels and multiple points of engagement. There are way more challenging group dynamics with potential personality or logistical conflicts with the older kids, or with sibling dyads. I didn’t only find this with my “family sprouts” program, I also found this when I had tinier newer babies with older mobile babies which Is why I wound up making a choice to have a separate class for 0-6 month babies. I like what Elizabeth pointed out about having older siblings guide younger siblings or offer leadership to younger kids in the class. I will often utilize this tecnique in my school district groups when I have an older more verbal child in a group with younger/ less verbal/ lower developmental level kids, so that they don’t feel left out. I had also never considered things like placing an older child closer since a younger is not used to having a parent to themselves anyways, I will definitely be taking that into consideration going forward.

I always liken running a music therapy group to driving car; simultaneously paying attention to multiple incoming pieces of information at the same time. I would say that this is even more true of multi- age groupings because of the additional group dynamics, varied developmental needs/levels and also sensory tolerance, as these groups defininitely have the potential for more background noise and general chaos.

Sean FitzGerald

Participant

Mulit age groups are a tough task and I find that the best approach is to find interventions that meet the youngest kids where they are at but provide opportunity for the older kids to expand and not get bored. That being said, finding that balance is difficult. I run a few groups now that have a variety of functioning levels in them and what I generally try to do is provide an experience that allows for all of the clients to have a moment to shine. I also try to set them up so that those who can, have the opportunity to model and assist other clients in the group. With the older kids in a multi age group, I would definitely work to provide opportunities for modeling so that they could feel a sense of connection to the younger kids through helping them. The biggest emphasis would be on connection and providing an opportunity for all to be able to contribute and participate at whatever level they are able.

Kayla Stubblefield

Participant

Totally agreed on it is tough to find the balance sometimes!

Erika (TeamRH)

Keymaster

Great insights and points. I hear a lot of responses about finding the balance of meeting each child’s needs.

Kayla Stubblefield

Participant

Multi age groupings are both challenging and beneficial. It is challenging because you have to be even more intentional about the interventions and songs used and making sure that they are developmentally and age-appropriate. However, they are beneficial because oftentimes older kids can model appropriate social behaviors for the younger kids to see. It is good to consider various adaptations with interventions planned when working with a multi age group. For example, how can I make this more challenging to fit this child’s need? How can I adapt the music here? How can I be even MORE prepared with adaptations if need be?

Angie Snell

Participant

Yes and the benefits can be so wonderful. There is the art and the science of facilitating multi-age groups. I think this training provides some great approaches and strategies.

Leah Strand

Participant

I think the challenge with in multi age groups when the ages aren’t balanced out. What if there is one 4 yer old in a group of 1 and under because that’s who showed up. The intentional decision one has to make so that everyone is included at their developmental level could be tricky. It could also be challenging if it was a huge group of varying ages. Either way the MT will have to adapt to fit the collective group. So many options, so many faces, so munch music. This scenario could also call for sensory overload and stimulation as the more there is the more noise there is to be made. Many things to think about.

Angie Snell

Participant

Multi-age groups are one of my favorite types of group sessions. There are challenges in meeting multi-level abilities and the various needs for different pacing and energy. I have found these challenges are best met by defining some roles and responsibilities so the older children know when there are opportunities for modeling and leadership. It helps the adults and the children to know how healthy and fun it is for human beings to engage in music together. I like to find music that appeals to the older children and the adults that have musical structure that allows for multiple developmental responses/abilities to contribute to the shared music making experience. Focusing on relationship building helps me when I am planning and in having realistic expectations.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content