Challenges of Providing Multi-Age Groupings

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies – June 2022 Week 8 Challenges of Providing Multi-Age Groupings

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Anonymous

Inactive

Share some thoughts about the challenges of providing multi-age groupings

Elizabeth Bentz

Participant

I think Elizabeth and Meredith covered the main challenges in the video: how do we keep the older, more advanced children interested and engaged without losing the younger ones, and visa versa. I think the way to do this is to have many options. I would sit down and write out each intervention with steps on instruments and movements for each developmental stage, so we can all use the same music and do similar movements or skills.

Erika Svolos

Great ideas! Something that always helped me was to think about each song as an experience and what are things that will engage each child in my groups (or levels of developmental if the group is new). For my older kiddos in particular, I think about what helps them to feel independent and autonomous. So I would include giving them responsibilities and asking them for ideas of how we can do that music or a movement in a different way. One responsibility that was always a big hit was collecting the instruments and putting them in the bucket. With COVID that may not be something we can do now, but maybe they can hold the bucket and going around to let each person put their instrument in the bucket. Some of the ways they can make choices in the music is to choose between playing loud/soft, fast/slow, or movements what animal should we move like or what kind of movement should we do.

Holly Jurca

Participant

I like your way of thinking about how to lay out the lesson plan. You are on point about using the same music and staying consistent, but making room for all.

Diandra Doble

Participant

I agree that they covered key challenges in the video. I liked when Elizabeth said something along the lines of it is a challenge to try and find movements that everyone can participate in that can satisfy but not alienate any certain age groups. You don’t want any child being bored but you also don’t want them to be overwhelmed because they can’t do the action you’re facilitating and prompting them to do, for example. I think what is important to remember is keeping the repetition of music for the younger children, but also making sure to incorporate those opportunities for creativity for the older children.

Erika Svolos

Thank you for your insights. Good points!

Meghan Hanley

Participant

I like your point about needing a balance between new, challenging tasks for older children and repetition for younger children! I’ve definitely seen this in my groups.

Meghan Hanley

Participant

One challenge with multi-age groupings is keeping everyone engaged. I find that providing opportunities for older children to make decisions about movements or ways of playing instruments and encouraging them to demonstrate helps with improving engagement.

Holly Jurca

Participant

One definitely has to be mindful of the tolerance levels of the age range. Engaging rhythm + steadiness is something that Elizabeth mentioned in choosing music. We also have to make sure that the challenges are enough for the older ones. One might frame the easier more younger-age challenges to the sibling as a way to show competence and validate. On that same note, the song can be done in a sped up fashion for the older kids so that they can show their competence and show off just a little. Instruments prove to be more of a challenge, but being ready for any age to come in. As long as the instructor is ready for that challenge and solid in knowing what movements/instruments are appropriate for all, the music can be tailored to any group.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content