Create a plan for songs and music experiences to use in a Sprouting Melodies 2 session.

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies Training – April 2013 Week 7 Create a plan for songs and music experiences to use in a Sprouting Melodies 2 session.

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author

Meredith Pizzi

Keymaster

Megan Goddu

Participant

Preclass/Instrument Exploration: Let the families get settled to begin music.
      Hello / Gathering: Hey! Hey! Come and Play! (EKS)
      Body Percussion: All of this is Me (EKS)
      Lap Ride: Wiggly Giggly Car
      Instrument Play: Dancing in the Middle
      Gross Motor Movement: March with My Baby (really enjoyed this song)
      Cool Down: Just Like Me
      Goodbye: Thank you for the Music

Emily Seymour

Participant

Pre session-  Instrument exploration
      Hello/Gathering:   Hey Hey Come and Play! (EKS)
      Body Percussion: There’s No One Quite LIke Me  (Margie La Bella’s Music Therapy Tunes) 
      (I would add movements to this based off of the text of the song)

There’s no one else quite like me. 
      Like Me.  Like me.
      From the top of my head all the way to my  toes. From the back of my ears to the tip of my nose. 

Lap Ride/ Bonding Song: Hold on Tight (EKS)
      Instrument Play:   Sit with Me and Shake  (MRP)
      Gross Motor Movement-  Move Your Body Along  (Rachel Rambach) http://timetosinghello.bandcamp.com/track/move-your-body-along
      (^ I would adapt some of the commands for this population.)

Cool Down- Pick Your Hands Up High (EKS) with scarves at a slow tempo.
      Goodbye- Goodbye Song (MPR)

Emily Seymour

Participant

Here are my questions for week 7:

Would you be willing to share the guitar chords for Sit with me and Shake?
      What do you use to clean your instruments?
      Besides Imagine, where can I find current research on this population?  What are the most interesting studies you’ve read?

Kristen Macleod

Participant

Instrument Exploration: Let families settle in.  Hello/ Gathering: Hey Hey Come and Play (EKS).  Body Percussion: All of this is me (EKS). Lap Ride: Wiggly Jiggly Car (EKS).  Instrument Play: Sit with me and Shake (MRP).  Gross Motor Movement: March with my Baby (MRP). Cool Down: Where is my face (EKS) with scarves. Goodbye: Goodbye (MRP)

Anonymous

Inactive

Welcoming– instrument exploration,  Hello/Gathering:  Hey Hey Come and Play (EKS),  Body Percussion:  I Can Clap My Hands (Learning Through Music), Lap ride/bonding:  Hold On Tight (EKS), Instrument Play: Play Your instrument With The Music (Learning Through Music), Gross Motor Movement: Using Scarves, a song I wrote “Up and Down,” Cool Down: As Big As Can Be (EKS), Goodbye: Good-bye (MRP)

Words to “Up and Down”
      And up and down, And up and down
      To the side, to the side, to the siiiiiiiidddddddeeeee
      And up and down, And up and Down
      To the side, side, and Stop
      (lots of room for slowing down and speeding up, anticipation, and surprise)

Elizabeth Schwartz

Keymaster

Thanks again for sharing so many new songs with the forum! Margie and Rachel have great resources on their web sites. Erika, could you share the melody of your Up and Down song with us?

Great questions for the week, Emily. Imagine is a terrific resource for current practice. Dr. Kern also shares the full text of a number of her studies on her web site.  At the end of a number of the blogs on http://www.RaisingHarmony.com there are research citations. One of the benefits of being a Sprouting Melodies provider is access to a member research site with info and practice suggestions from the newest articles.

Lauren Bevilacqua

Participant

Inst./Room Exploration  while families settle in.
      Gathering – Hey Come and Play (EKS)
      Body Percussion- All of this is Me (EKS)
      Lap Ride/Tickles – Wiggly Jiggly Car (EKS)
      Songs About Me -That All Makes Up Me (EKS)
      Instrumental Play – Shake your Shaker! ( Parody of Belafonte’s “Jump in the Line”)
      Gross Motor – I Can Move around (EKS)
      Cool Down- Thank You For the Music
      Goodbye – Goodbye (MRP)

Michelle Muth

Participant

Instrument Explore/getting settled
      Continue with embedded music possibly Pachelbel Canon or some light African Drum music. Only instrumental no verbal as words can intrude in this instance.Gathering/GreetingHello to You song (from SM1) possibly more jazzed up with guitar. This would maintain continuity with SM1 and SM2
      Bonding Songs
      Wiggly, Jiggly Car: I love this song and think it would be so much time with lots of giggles taking placed
      Songs about Me
      Use Emily’s “Where is Thumbkin song” and introduce a scarf. Let it flow in the air and gently land on the child’s head, arm, whatever as the song begins. Then the parent can have the scarf over their head. Use the Peek a boo just like playing the peek a boo game. Where is “insert child’s name” Where is “insert child’s name” Here I am, Here I am I’m so glad to see you I’m so glad to see you Peek a boo/Peek a boo
      Instrument Songs
      I like this song: another of my favorites because the words are so easy. (I have a tough time memorizing words). Plus it’s just plain fun.Movement song Tune: Oh When the Saints go Marching in, I like to Move I like to (march, jump, walk) around the room I like to march, march, march, march I like to march around the room I like to march around the room
      Cool Down
      Introduce “The Hungry Caterpillar” book to group reading aloud while parents/caregivers use a scarf to be the caterpillar or move it in whatever way they wish. Child may still be up and moving around but parent should be on the floor and animate/move the scarf whether the child is in their lap or not.
      Good Bye Song
      Music Time is Done by M3

Michelle Muth

Participant

Love everyone’s session plans and ideas!  A question I have had and I’m not sure to post is how do you accommodate parents/caregivers with mobility issues that cannot be on the floor with their child (wheelchair bound, back issues, etc.)?

Elizabeth Schwartz

Keymaster

Great question, Michelle. I often have an adult or two who need supported seating, so I have small stools or lower chairs available for them to sit in. I think this is where we, as music therapists. shine. We know the importance of being flexible and adapting to the immediate needs of everyone in the group.

Lisa Klostermann

Participant

Instrument Exploration: Explore and settle in  Hello/ Gathering: Golly, Golly (see below).  Body Percussion: Can you See see see Lap Ride: Wiggly Jiggly Car.  Instrument Play: .Sit with me and shake  Gross Motor Movement:March with my Baby . Cool Down: Pick Your Hands Up High  Goodbye: Music is Over (Laurie Farnan.  I think it’s in “Music is for Everyone”)
      Oooooooohhhhhh (wiggle fingers way up high! hold!)  Golly, Golly, Golly Good morning, good morning, good morning. Golly, Golly, Golly Good morning, good morning to __you____.  (do do do re mi sol, sol re sol, sol mi sol.  do do do re mi sol, sol re sol, sol do)  I learned this at a conference a million years ago. Sorry, I can’t remember who it was, but I recall her being a “big name” in early childhood???   Kids LOVE it.

Vanessa Talbott

Participant

When planning for this age group I really focus on the flow of up and down. This is a flow that works really well in my groups.
      Gathering time
      Hello
      Lap Bounce to a gross motor of the chant/song such as Jack Be Nimble
      Focus on gross motor movements with movement elements like start and stop, fast and slow, etc.
      Instrument Play – example- Old Joe Clark
      Another movement piece with or without a prop (scarves, balls, streamers)
      Musical story time
      Rocking/Bonding song
      Circle Dance
      Good bye

Carla Carnegie

Participant

Musical instrument exploration with background music as people gather.  Gathering:Hey! Hey! Come and Play! (EKS), to Bonding: Wiggly Jiggly Car (EKS)to “Can You See Me?(EKS) introducing scarves with this.

Moving into Instrument Play: “In My Little Hand” (EKS) with instruments, then moving onto gross motor movements:  with “March with my Baby” (MRP)

moving on to a cool down: “Honey, Carry Me” (EKS) , followed by the Goodbye Song:  “Thank You Very Much” (EKS)

I would love  story time with music ideas—-I love reading to kids aloud, but at a loss for what to choose that is Musical story time appropriate!

Carla Carnegie

Participant

Michelle, I myself have mobility issues, and I use a low chair, or a stool that is just the right height for me to get up and down easily.  Getting up and down from the floor is way to slow and cumbersome for me to do with a group, especially with instruments…..I would like to be able to especially welcome any parents/caregivers who have mobility issues, or their children.  This is an area I feel is overlooked and forgotten in other programs.

Elizabeth Schwartz

Keymaster

One of the first things I bought as a new music therapist was a rolling stool. Carla, do you have any other tips for us on mobility?

Courtney Fanello

Participant

Sprouting melodies 2 Session plan

Instrument Exploration- Please sit down and play with me

Hello- Good Morning

Body Percussion Where is the music?

Lap Ride   Wiggly, Jiggly Car

Instrument Play All night, All day (Listen to the sound of my drum)

Movement Can you follow (Do as I’m doing)

Cool down Can you see me? (Scarves)

Goodbye Music Time is over

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content