Create a Sprouting Melodies 1 Framework

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies – March 2023 Week 6 Create a Sprouting Melodies 1 Framework

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Julie Palmieri

Participant

Sprouting Melodies 1 Framework:

Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 1.

Write 5 sentences you can use when speaking with parents about musical responses of children in SM1.

Create a plan for songs and music experiences to use in a Sprouting Melodies 1 session.

Kimberly Werner

Participant

Sensory exploration / Bonding / Touch / Regulation / Awareness

– Singing with your baby helps to strengthen the bond between you and your baby.
      – Developmentally appropriate sensory exploration helps baby to increase awareness of surroundings and self.
      – Vocalizing with your baby helps to develop language skills, no matter what your singing/musical skills are.
      – You can bring home the songs that you learn here and explore using them together with other family members/in other contexts (transitions, etc).
      – Whatever response to the music that your baby has is okay – there’s no right or wrong way to be in music together.

Kimberly Werner

Participant

Transitional: Welcome In (original)

Gathering Song: Sit Down and Join (original)

Bonding Song: Row Your Boat

Instrument song: I Like This Song

Movement Song: 5 Green Speckled Frogs

Cool Down/Goodbye: It’s Time to Say Goodbye

Maggie Johnson

Participant

5 words:
      Gentle, swaying, slower, in-the-moment, natural voice-like (pitch/tonality)

5 sentences:
      “Your baby wants to hear YOUR voice.”
      “What do you see changing when the music changes in this song? How does their attention shift?”
      “Your baby can hear the differences in pitch and changes in quality of voice/sound when we sing…[A] vs.[B]…”
      “We’re going to sing this song many times. Repetition is really important for babies to learn and integrate the benefits of the musical experience.”
      “Allow yourself to gently let go of the stream of outside thoughts and keep returning to this moment while you are singing and your baby is reacting.”

Session Plan:
      1. “A Place For Us to Be” (original, not fully written yet 🙂 but…) A transition song that helps welcome parents and caregivers as well as babies while everyone is setting up their “nests.”
      2. “On A Day Like Today” gathering song.
      3. “Row Row Row Your Boat/Little Bit Faster” bonding/lap ride
      4. “Wiggly Jiggly Car” bonding/lap ride
      5. I Like This Song – Baby Maracas/Jingle Bells
      6. “Pick Your Hands Up High” w/scarves
      7. “All Of This is Me” -Song About Me with parent/caregiver pointing to body parts of baby or self.
      8. “It’s Time to Say Goodbye”

Leslie Aldrich

Participant

I love your last sentence! A nice reminder to just “be” in the moment. 🙂

Leslie Aldrich

Participant

5 words: Gentle, Unhurried, Joyful, Inclusive, Loving

5 sentences:
      Your baby wants to hear your voice. Really take the time to enjoy this period because it goes by so quickly. Sing these songs slowly so your baby has time to respond. It’s ok to use your natural tone of voice to sing to your baby; they don’t care about a performance. We like to use a nice soft voice especially starting out so we don’t startle anyone.

SM1 Session:
      Gathering
      1. Hello song: original – Transition
      2. Sit Down with Me – Gathering
      Bonding
      1. Wiggly Jiggly Car – Lap ride
      2. Row it Faster – Lap ride
      Instrument Song
      1. I Like This Song – Exploring sounds
      Movement
      1. Pick Your Hands up High – Scarves
      Songs About Me
      1. Just Like Me – Touch
      2. That All Makes Up Me – Touch
      Cool Down/Goodbye
      1. Music Time is Over – Transition
      2. Goodbye Song: original

Melissa Neitzel

Participant

5 words
      Gentle, Bonding, Supportive, Present, Warmth

5 Sentences
      1) Your baby has known your voice before they were born and they prefer it over anyone else’s.
      2) It is okay if your baby falls asleep in session because you will be able to sing this to them at home.
      3) We will play through this song a few more times to support baby’s development.
      4) Let’s try gently swaying with your baby to the music. The movement will support their awareness to where they are in relation to you and within this space.
      5) Your baby’s responses to music may be subtle. They may follow you with just their eyes, turn their head, or snuggle in closer.

1) Transitional song “Welcome”- provided as parents arrive- lyrics designed to say hi I see you, come as you are. The pulse is slowly moving forward in a 3 / 4 to set the tone for session
      2) Gathering Song: Hello
      3) Bonding Song: Itsy Bitsy Spider- with other movements like “bouncy spider”, “dancing spider” with a sway. The tension would be in “the”.
      4) Instrument song- use of a maraca or something that isn’t too startling/loud, or gentle consistent finger taps on the drum- something predictable.
      5) Instrument song- Tickle Song- with scarves (original)
      6) Movement Song: Wheels on the Bus (some traditional: wipers, doors, some non traditional: feet/ kick, hands/clap baby/bounce)
      7) Cool down song: Snuggle in (original)
      8) Goodbye: Goodbye Friends (original)

Christine Wick

Participant

I really like the idea of embedding a welcome that includes a ‘come as you are/I see you’ right from the beginning within the 1st song and experience. Such a meaningful way to begin and create that safe space.

Katelyn Caruso

Participant

5 Words: Gentle, presence, connection, joy, bonding

5 Sentences: Do what is most comfortable for you and your baby. – Singing to your baby will strengthen your connection, they know your voice and want to hear it! – Take as much time as you need to get settled and feel comfortable. – Thank you for taking the time to connect through music – Your baby is listening and taking it all in, you can tell by these slight changes in body movement/facial expression/sighs/ etc.

SM1 Plan: 1. Welcome/gathering song – 2. “Good Morning” – gathering song #2- 3.”Just Like Me” – touching and interacting with baby – 4. “I Like this song” – shakers and bells 5. Wiggly Jiggly car – bonding/lap ride song(I used to do this one at the preschool, I didn’t know it was a music therapist’s song! No wonder the kids loved it!) – 6. “Twinkle Twinkle” with scarves 7. “I Like Blowing Bubbles” Sing/listen while watching bubbles – 8. Goodbye Song

Christine Wick

Participant

Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 1.
      Gentle, connection, bonding, joy, touch

Write 5 sentences you can use when speaking with parents about musical responses of children in SM1.
      Position yourself and do what feels most comfortable for you and your baby / Your baby is most interested in hearing your voice / If you see your baby’s responses are small, it’s okay, they are taking it all in and connecting with you through the music / I welcome you to slow down and be present in these moments / All of these repetitions help your baby become familiar and comfortable where learning and integration can happen!

Create a plan for songs and music experiences to use in a Sprouting Melodies 1 session.
      1. Welcome/gathering song: Original 2. Transition song: invitation to sit how is most comfortable for caregiver/baby 3. Bonding song: “Row it Faster” 4. Movement song: “As big as can be” 5. Instrument song: “In My Little Hands” 6. Song about me: “Where is my face” 7. Goodbye song: Original

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content