Create a Sprouting Melodies 1 Framework

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies – September 2023 Week 6 Create a Sprouting Melodies 1 Framework

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author

Julie Palmieri

Participant

Sprouting Melodies 1 Framework:

Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 1.

Write 5 sentences you can use when speaking with parents about musical responses of children in SM1.

Create a plan for songs and music experiences to use in a SM1 session.

Lydia Westle

Participant

5 Words: Gentle, Cuddling, Joyful, Bonding, Swaying (Not using words from the slide, the words “tender,” “snuggly”, “special”, “connection” “fun” came to mind as well.

5 Sentences: In sprouting melodies 1, a Board Certified Music Therapist will demonstrate ways that you can use music to help support your child’s development, as well as to bond and connect with your child in a meaningful way. At this young age, your child is just starting to take in the world around them. You may notice the ways in which your child might turn their head as they hear your voice singing to them, as your voice is a safe and familiar voice, even if you not consider yourself to be a singer. You may also notice how they look attentively as they hear the gentle sound of a maraca or the swooshing of a baby ocean drum. While very young infants will initially participate receptively through listening as they adjust to stimuli, gradually, children will begin to explore playing instruments and engage in more interactive movement experiences as time progresses.

Session Plan:

Gathering / Hello Song – Good Morning Song, Followed by Hello Song

Bonding / Lapride Songs – Tickle Song, Row Row Row Your Boat / Wiggly Jiggly Car

Instrument Play – In My Little Hand

Movement Song – Adapted lyrics to “Wheels On The Bus” Tune (We are swaying in music today, music today, music today, we are swaying in music today, swaying in music today) – then would shift lyrics to “we are dancing music today” ; would encourage caregivers to rock their babies from side to side, and gradually shift to standing up to holding babies / “dancing” with them gently, if appropriate

Cool Down Song – Would improvise a snuggle song for a tender moment to end (Ex: “We are snuggling in music today, snuggling in music in such a special way) – tune of initial part of initial ABCS, then repeat it

Transition Song – Goodbye song

Maura Nicholson

Participant

5 words for SM1: Supportive, nurturing, intimate, home, present

5 Sentences for parents: 1. This is about the two of you. 2 Give yourself the space to slow down- nothing outside of this room matters for the next 30 minutes. 3. This is also about you so let this experience be whatever you need it to be. 4. Feel free to sing along if and when you feel comfortable. 5. Feel free to position yourself and your baby so you are the most comfortable.

Sprouting Melodies 1 session Plan:

Hello Song-Today’s a beautiful Day

Bonding- Wiggly Jiggly car

Songs about me- That All Makes Up Me, All of the Raindrops

Instrument song- I like this Song

Movement Song- Open shut them

Goodbye- Music Time is Done

Camryn Gallagher

Participant

5 Words: Welcoming, bonding, exploration, observation, joy

5 Sentences: 1) I would introduce the purpose of the group as a means of connection, education, and developmental stimulation as a shared experience between parent and child. 2) I would stress that the group is all about pausing to watch and listen to your child’s responses to music – I like Maura’s comment above about mentally storing away any other thoughts/concerns other than you and the child. 3) Parents may notice their child’s movements changing in response to the music they hear. 4) I also encourage parents to listen for purposeful vocalizations from the child; some infants may even be matching our pitch. 5) For a group of this age range, repetition is key, and as a result we will be hearing a lot of the same tunes multiple times and I encourage families to continue singing these tunes at home in between sessions.

Embedded song during instrument exploration: I like to use an adaptation of “You’ll Sing a Song and I’ll Sing a Song” by Ella Jenkins. “You’ll bounce around, and I”ll bounce around, and we’ll bounce around together!”

Opening “Hello Song” – we use a melody I picked up during internship, not sure who the original writer is! Frequent repetition of the word “Hello” and emphasis on the motor action of waving

Bonding: Row Your Boat/Row it Faster

Instrument song: In My Little Hand

Movement song: “Will you Come?” (I have been using this in individual sessions lately and loving it!!)

Cooldown – Something familiar/can be adapted to be relaxing – “Twinkle Twinkle” is one we use a lot here.

“Goodbye Everybody”

Lydia Westle

Participant

Maura and Camryn, I love both of the ideas you shared, as well as some of the language you’d use with patients! Particularly loved the emphasis on reminding caregivers this experience is for them too. Camryn, I appreciated the reminder to let caregivers know that songs may be repeated / why.

MacKenzie Lyons

Participant

5 words to describe Sprouting Melodies 1: Nurturing, Bonding, Gentle, Joyful, Swaying

5 things to say to parents/caregivers: 1) This time is about you and your baby 2) Music is a very gentle way to help expand your babies world 3) This is a great place to connect with other adults/parents, this place is much for you as it is your little one 4) Feel free to make yourself and your baby comfortable, bring a blanket and use as much space as you need 5) Please feel free to sing along, this is a great bonding opportunity for you and your baby

Session Plan:

Hello Song: Hello Everybody

Songs About Me: Just Like Me

Bonding/Lap ride: Row Row Row Your Boat/Row a Bit Faster into the Tickle Song

Instrument Songs: In My Little Hand

Movement Song: I Can Move Around (I have been adapting this song to target gross motor movement such as clapping, stomping and patting knees, with little ones I have been telling caregivers that they can either model the movements or they can touch their babies hands, feet, knees, etc. to bring awareness)

Goodbye: Music Time is Done

Kate Jihye Choi

Participant

5 words
      – Banding, Calming, Connection, Responsive, and Adjustment

5 sentences
      1) I’d like to introduce you to a way to connect you with your child and your child with the world. 2) This music experience will expand your child’s world. And you are also part of the world. 3) Feel free to sing along with me. Your voice is always the best resource. 4) Let’s look closely at how your child responds to music. They have their way of expressing their level of presence in music. 5) Repetition is a key for them to learn new things.

Session plan

Gathering – Good Morning to you
      Greeting – Hello song
      Bonding / Lapride – Tickle Song, Row Row Row Your Boat / Wiggly Jiggly Car
      Instrument Play – In My Little Hand, I Like This Song
      Movement – Open Shut them, Baby Shark (lyric substitute the end of the song “We all done” then transition to the sitting position)
      Cool Down – That All Makes Up Me
      Goodbye song

Courtney McDonald

Participant

5 words – Caring, Calming, Bonding, Gentle, Exploring

5 Sentences – 1. Take this time to put the responsibilities of the outside world to the side and use this time to focus on you baby. 2. The gentle and calm music will facilitate your bonding relationship.
      3. Use your voice and body to join us in the music.
      4. Notice your child’s responses.
      5. Music is a wonderful place to connect with other parents/families.

Session Plan:
      Gathering – Hello song – Focus on waving and looking at care giver
      Lap Ride – Tickle Song
      Instrument Exploration – I like song
      Movement Song – Baby – adaptation of Justin Bieber song – replace baby with movement – clap, sway, bounce, etc.
      Cool Down – Just like me
      Goodbye/ Transition – Goodbye sweetheart – adaptation of Goodnight sweetheart

Olivia Todd

Participant

5 words: Gentle, touch, calm, joy, bonding

5 sentences: “We aren’t here to perform, we are here to connect!” “Your voice is safe and familiar to your child, you don’t have to be a great singer!” “The quiet and soft drum in the background can be used as something for your baby to focus on if the music becomes too stimulating.” “As your baby gets older, they may want to be positioned facing outward to see and hear all of the different things to take in.” “Hear how I emphasize the first beat of the measure? This creates momentum and helps your child organize.”

Session Plan:
      Good Morning (gathering song)
      O Where Is My Face (song about me)
      Wiggly, Jiggly Car (bonding/lap song)
      In My Little Hand (Instrument song)
      Pick Your Hands up High (movement song)
      Music Time is Done (goodbye)

Elmira Abasova

Participant

Five words that are associated with Sprouting Melodies 1 for me are:

Supporting,
      Safe,
      Warm,
      Fun,
      Gentle.

My five sentences will depend on the circumstances, and most likely, I have to start all classes with a presentation for caregivers introducing such topics as child development/ musical development/ music therapy / and telling about expected musical experience.
      Recently, I had a meeting with teachers introducing music therapy for early development. They were worried about starting such a program because:
      – it’s too early to teach anything at that age
      – young mothers want to spend time alone with their babies at home, they don’t want to go anywhere (no idea why)
      – after 5, children will have enough time to visit any classes they want

I told them that everyone needs a social community, including mothers and babies. The notion that a baby can’t comprehend a symphony doesn’t mean that a baby cannot enjoy simple vocal music. At that age music and development happens through play, and music is enjoyable for children and supports their development. The sessions are interactive (not just listening) and will show young parents new ways to communicate with their kids.

Session plan:
      Gathering song
      Hello song
      Bonding song (1-2)
      Sensory song (1-2)
      Calming down song
      Goodbye song

Daniel DeLucia

Participant

Five words for Sprouting Melodies 1: playful, cuddling, bonding, awareness, gentle

Five sentences: 1.) We’re all hear to create a safe and supportive space for you and your child. 2.) You don’t have to be a musician to make music. 3.) Music can be used to promote awareness and bonding for you and your child. 4.) Now is a perfect time to simply forget about the responsibilities of the outside world and just be with your child. 5.) Notice your child’s responses to the music

Session plan:
      Hello song: Good Morning

Songs about me: Just like me (can also be used as a warmup song but also helps facilitate awareness)

Bonding song: Hold on Tight

Instrument song: In my little hand

Movement song: Row Row Row your boat

Goodbye song: Music time is all done

Amy Calderon

Participant

Yes! I love “You don’t have to be a muscian to make music.” Humans are inherently musical. Our whole bodies are based in rhythms.

Amy Calderon

Participant

Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 1: Bonding, Present, Loving, Gentle, Calm

Write 5 sentences you can use when speaking with parents about musical responses of children in SM1:
      “It’s okay if your baby needs to sleep, eat, or is fussy. You can take these experinces and re-create them at home.”
      “We are here to connect, not to perform. Your baby loves your voice.”
      “If you don’t sing it here, you won’t remember it at home.”
      “If you get bored, repeat it 3 more times. Repetition is so important for you baby and they love it!”

Create a plan for songs and music experiences to use in a SM1 session.
      Instrument exploration: Allow families and babies to explore simple instruments while everyone settles in.
      Hello song
      Body Percussion: Just Like Me (Pointing to different body parts)
      Lap ride: Wiggly, Jiggly Car
      Instrument play: Sit with me and shake (egg shakers)
      Gross motor movement: Pick your hands up High
      Goodbye

Jessica Solimini

5 words to describe Sprouting Melodies 1: Gentle, Bonding, Joy, Cuddling, Swaying

5 Sentences to use with Parents: 1) This group is about coming together in a quiet, nurturing space. 2) The voice your child wants to hear is your voice. 3) It’s OK if your baby is asleep, you will benefit from the group yourself and take the experience home to your baby. 4) Music can be used to increase your baby’s awareness and your bond together. 5) Feel free to sit and position your baby whatever way is most comfortable for you and for them.

Session Plan:

Gathering Song: Hello Everybody
      Bonding Song: Little Red Wagon
      Songs About Me: Just Like Me
      Instrument Song: In My Little Hand
      Movement Song: Pick Your Hands Up High
      Goodbye Song

Billie Junget

Participant

5 Words: Soft, Gentle, Calm, Nesting, Bonding

5 sentences to use when speaking with parents about musical responses: 1. This time and space is for you and your baby. 2. Listening is doing, your baby here in the room is enough. 3. Your baby responds best to your voice, sing here so you can sing at home. 4. Notice your child’s response to the music and our voices. 5. Position yourself and your baby as you feel comfortable, I can give suggestions throughout the session.

Session Plan:
      Gathering – All Night All Day
      Hello – Today Is a Beautiful Day
      Gathering – Just Like Me
      Lap Ride – Row It Faster
      Instrument Play – In My Little Hand
      Movement – Pick Your Hands Up High
      Cool Down – Scarf Song
      Goodbye Song

Mark Dunford

Participant

5 Words: Cocoon, Calming, Joyful, Quiet, waltz

Feel free to sing and play along if and when you’re comfortable. Don’t worry about being a “singer” your baby is soothed and comforted by your voice so use these songs at home. This is a great opportunity to be fully present with your baby. Please bring whatever supplies you may need in the room so you and your child are fully comfortable. There’re no expectations of your baby, simply listening is totally OK!

Embedded song: Just Like Me, Transition song: Good Morning to You, Gathering song: I Can You Can We can Sing, Bonding song: Wiggly Jiggly Car, Instrument Song: All Night All Day, Song About Me: All of this is Me, Transition Song: Music Time is Over

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content