Create a Sprouting Melodies 1 Framework:

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies – January 2022 Week 6 Create a Sprouting Melodies 1 Framework:

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

Anonymous

Inactive

Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 1.

Write 5 sentences you can use when speaking with parents about musical responses of children in SM1.

Create a plan for songs and music experiences to use in a Sprouting Melodies 1 session

Aliza Llovet

Participant

Experience: Giggles, Soothing, Closeness, Cuddling, and Calm (Appropriate) Environment

Musical Responsiveness: I see that “Name” is turning their gaze towards the singing. Look at “Name’s” big reach towards the the maraca shaking. “Name” calmed right down to you rocking them.Look how strong “Name’s” grasp was when you placed it in their hand. I think that’s the first time I’ve seen “Name” move their entire body.

Plan: Allow for some instrument/physical surrounding exploration during check in procedure to let caregiver and child acclimate
      Hello/Gathering Song: simple rhythmic pattern gentle timbre and can provide that steady beat somewhere on the child’s body like pat on knees and sing hello to each child with the caregiver giving pat on the chest when it’s their name being sung.
      Songs about me: Depending on motor ability can be laying in lap looking back at parent or be seated in a supported position. Provides lots of information about themselves and others. Ex. Just Like Me
      Lap Ride Bonding song: Allow this to be responsive to the stimulation needs of the group starting with swaying, rocking at slower pace to faster and then bring it back ex. Trot Trot to Boston
      Instrument play: Think about the instruments that you present at this age. One instrument that would be good is a maraca that has a ring to grasp or flat head drums with bigger drums being given to younger infants and smaller drums to those who may be hold it. ex. In My Little Hand
      Gross motor movement song: Provides stimulation in all planes by lifting them up in the air and those who are ready for frolic play can stand up and throw them up. Children who want to be standing can be lifted from the standing position or whatever position they prefer at this age. Ex. As Big as Can Be
      Cool down: Could be books, scarves, animal song something to bring group to floor ex. Brown Bear Book
      Goodbye Song: Provides closure and transition to leaving group.

Anne Reed

Participant

Describe the experience: soothing, awakening, bonding, discovering, embarrassing each other in the music

Musical responsiveness:
      I see [___] watching with their eyes as you move the instrument.
      [____] is vocalizing with the music as you sing.
      Your baby is smiling with you as you sing the hello song.
      I saw [___] swipe at the maraca as you were playing it.
      Notice how your baby’s body calmed when you rocked and sang that soothing song.

PLAN:
      1. Check-in
      Calm music playing in the background as people come in a get situated- Instrumental “All the Pretty Little Horses”
      2. Hello- Song “Hello Little Child”
      If a baby is upset, it is alright for the parent to stand up and hold the baby.
      Otherwise have everyone sitting with the baby in their arms singing and patting the rhythm on their back (1 2&, 1 2& – when
      I worked on the infant unit in the hospital I found this rhythmic pattern promoted engagement and soothing)
      Substitute the babies name in the song, touch the babies chest when saying their name
      3. Gathering- “The More We Get Together”
      Place baby on knees and rock back and forth
      A little older- place baby in lap, leaning against chest facing the group- sing the names of the other babies in the song
      4. Bonding- “Love You Baby, Yes I do”
      Touch chest on their name or word “baby- little snuggle and wiggle on the word “do”
      Substitute name or body parts for the word baby- touch the body part with a wiggle on the word “do”
      5. Songs about me- “On My Toe There is a Flee”
      Baby on knees facing you, touch body parts as they are sung in the song- slowly, quietly
      clap babies feet together on the words “Take that flee.”
      6. Movement- “Let’s go Fly a Kite” refrain only. This song can be done sitting or standing.
      Basic rocking back and forth, gently and evenly at first
      After several repetitions add some expression- widen your eyes and smile use vocal glissando when singing to
      the word “up”
      If ready, begin adding upward motions leading to the word “up”
      7. Instrument- Twinkle Twinkle Little Star
      Finger cymbals- present the cymbals first and establish eye contact with the instrument before playing them while humming
      the melody. Move the cymbals around- looking for visual tracking and reaching
      Begin to play very slowly and quietly using a quarter note beat,
      Add in words,
      Fade out words,
      Fade out instrument,
      Hum to end
      8. Good bye. You may also want to sing this song as mom puts the baby back in their seat.

The session is structured is designed to acclimate/ transition the baby to the environment and each new experience by establishing their attention, engaging them through variation, relaxing them using repetition (both with melody and instrumentation), finally say goodbye. The height of activity is the movement song while the instrument song is used as a cool down- transition to goodbye in the example above. Potential for startling is there with the finger cymbals but by layering the song, you may prevent this.

Erika Svolos

Remember to save your responses so that you have them for future planning. Also, take a look at your co-participants responses for further ideas to support your work.

Amy Brownell

Participant

Words: Gentle, Joy, Cuddling, Bonding Swaying

Sentences:
      Your child is watching me as I sing, they are demonstrating awareness and taking in so much information from the music!
      Your child is exploring that instrument by grasping it and putting it in their mouth – this is a safe place for them to learn more about the instrument that way!
      Your child is bobbing along in response to the music!
      Your child is showing anticipation that you are about to tickle them, and there is so much joy once you do!
      Your child is starting to wiggle around and look around them, it looks like they are ready to turn around on your lap and face the group so they can learn more about the music and people that are around them!

Plan:
      Play recorded music as caregivers enter and build their ‘nests’ with blankets, bags, carseats, etc.
      Have caregivers sit on the floor in a circle with their babies on their laps.
      Hello Song – Sing ‘Good Morning’ while caregivers hold their babies facing them and sway back and forth. Greet each baby and have the caregivers put their hand on the baby’s chest and apply some gentle pressure to indicate that they are being greeted.
      Body Percussion/Songs About Me – Have the caregivers put their legs straight out while sitting and lay the baby in their lap. Sing ‘Just Like Me’ while the caregivers point to different parts of baby (eyes, ears, nose, etc.) and then to themselves. Have the caregivers hold the baby up and extend the song to reach out to other members of the group.
      Lap Ride/Bonding Song – Sing ‘Wiggly Jiggly Car’ while caregivers hold their babies on their laps and wrap arms around the baby to pull them close before bouncing on their laps along with the music.
      Instrument Song – Have the caregivers hold the baby in their laps while singing ‘In My Little Hand.’ Caregivers hold maracas and shake them above and on different body parts of the baby. They also allow the baby to explore the shakers by grasping or putting them in their mouths.
      Movement Song – Have the caregivers stand with their babies while singing ‘As Big As Can Be.’ Caregivers can pick the baby up, moving from low to high, and may toss the baby up gently along with the music if they are comfortable.
      Cool Down – Sing ‘Twinkle Twinkle Little Star’ while caregivers hold babies in laps and hold scarves either above them so they can watch or allow the baby to explore through grasping.
      Goodbye – Sing ‘Bye Bye’ song while caregivers hold babies in laps or close to them and sway with the music.

Emily Fabian

Participant

Experience: Gentle, Bonding, Cuddling, Joy, and Calm

Responsiveness: Your child is turning their gaze towards the sound of me singing “hello”. They are swaying their body with you in response to the music. Your child is so joyful with a smile on their face and laughing when we were singing “wiggly jiggly car”! They followed the sound of the rattler you were playing and went to grab it from you. I see you bonding!

Plan: Allow for both parent and child exploration of the environment while arriving and checking in. Hello: Sing “today’s a beautiful day”, greeting each child and having the caregiver pat to indicate to their child they are being sung to. Bonding: Sing “wiggly jiggly car” for caregivers to give a lap ride by bringing the child up to their chest and back down to bounce along to the steady beat. Songs About Me: Sing “where is my face”, having parents and caregivers point out their face, their child’s face, and different features of the face. Instrument: Sing “sit with me and shake”, providing parents a small maraca to play and allow children to explore grasping and shaking briefly throughout the song. Movement: Sing “pick your hands up high” while parents can pick their child’s arms up high then low. Goodbye: Sing “goodbye” while parents return their children to their laps, singing along and swaying calmly to the music.

Jessica Gelineau

Participant

Music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 1 are: meaningful, novel, exciting, engaging and beautiful.

When speaking with parents about musical responses of their children, the following sentences can be used:
      “Wow, it was so wonderful to see your child smile at you during the hello song!”,
      “Did you notice how your baby reached out to touch your face during our scarf song playing peek a boo? How beautiful!”
      “Your baby clapped patted their legs during the song! What a lovely musical response”
      “I noticed that your baby was babbling during our cool down song, and that was so lovely to hear their voice”
      “That is so wonderful your child is looking right at you while you’re singing the lap song, that is so valuable and precious to see”

Plan for Sprouting Melodies 1:
      Instrument Exploration: Set up the room to allow for instrument exploration. Have two to three instruments/ props throughout the room that are appropriate for this age.
      Hello song: Sing to each child and encourage the caregiver to give light squeezes and gentle touches when their child’s name is called.
      Body Percussion: Using the song Just Like Me, have parents give a gentle touch to their babies as the song is sung to provide sensory input and tactile stimulation.
      Lap Ride/ Tickles: Using the song Wiggly Jiggly Car, have each parent turn their child to face them, and bounce them lightly on their lap.
      Instrument play: Using the song In My Little Hand, parents can use a shaker to grab their child’s attention visually. This can be very important as babies can look side to side and up and down.
      Gross Motor Movement: Using the song Pick Your Hands Up High, parents can have their babies sit in their lap (or stand), as they raise their child’s hands up and then down. They can also move their hands side to side.
      Cool Down: Using the song Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, vocalize on different vowel sounds while using the melody. Allow the musical dynamics to reflect the desired purpose of the song: to help infants self soothe/ calm down.
      Goodbye Song: Sing goodbye to each child and their caregiver. Have parents face their babies to other group members, and sway their children to the beat of the music.

Hannah Floyd

Participant

Experience: Exploratory, Soothing, Gentle, Bonding, Engaging

Responsiveness: It’s great that they turned to acknowledge me during the greeting song. They are watching you as you play the instrument too! When you play, I notice they are swaying with you. I think it’s wonderful that they reached towards you and smiled. The babbling your child made during the song is so nice to hear.

Plan: First introduce myself to the children and caregivers and bring them into the room where the session would be occurring. I would allow them to explore the space, finding spots that made them feel the most comfortable and safe. I would have the caregivers sit with the children in their laps. During this I would have instrumental calm music playing, having it at around half volume so it is not too overwhelming. Hello Song: Sing a simple, soft melody, and encourage the caregivers to lightly sway with their child. When the child’s name is called, I would encourage the caregiver to give the child a gentle touch or squeeze. Body Percussion: While I sing Just Like Me, Parents will lightly tap the backs of the child, then gradually move to different body parts (nose, ears, etc). Bonding: Have the child sway back and forth with their parent, adjusting tempos from slow, to faster, then back to slow. Instrument Play: Be sure that the instruments are appropriate for this age. Some of these I think of are maracas, finger symbols, and some drums. Sing in my In My Little Hand, shaking or playing the instruments on different body parts. Movement: Sing As Big As Can Be, moving the children onto different levels. Moving their bodies on these levels also. Cool Down: While singing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, sing through it in a gentle tone. While singing it normally one time through, then switch to a vowel sound. Goodbye: Have clients hold child and gently sway as you end the session.

Maggie Murphy

Participant

5 WORDS:
      Calm, Gentle, Stimulating, Meaningful, Connection

5 SENTENCES:
      -(Name of child)’s stillness is response to the music is reflective of his/her stage of development. This is a sign that he/she is listening.
      -(Name of child)’s vocalizations during the pauses of the song are his/her way of initiating and communicating “more.”
      -Did you notice how calm and relaxed (name of child) became was our cool down song? You will definitely be able to use this song/activity at home.
      -While I understand your concern, know that mouthing is (name of child)’s way of exploring the instruments and this behavior is to be expected of children (name of child)’s age.
      -It looks like you noticed (name of child) bopping in response to the music, I want to point out the rhythmic nature of his/her movements.

PLAN:
      Begin the session by allowing caregivers to settle into the room without feeling rushed. Have calm/relaxing children’s music playing in the background. While looking for options of music, I came across artist Elizabeth Mitchell. If you haven’t heard her music or recordings, I highly recommend.

Hello/Gathering/Transition Songs
      -One of the hello songs that I use for children within these developmental levels greets each child by name. This can be paired with a little squeeze from the caregiver, to help the child understand/make the connection that they are being sung to/about.

Body Percussion/Gathering Songs
      -“Hey! Hey! Come and Play!” (from E.K. Schwartz’s book “You and Me Makes… We”)- Not only is this a gathering song, but the lyrics of the song invite the children (and caregivers) to engage in body percussion (i.e. clapping hands- with the option of adding verses with additional body percussion). What I particularly like about this song is the “B section,” which encourages simple singing on “La.” This “B section” also give the young children ample time to practice/observe the body percussion being sung about (rather than moving on/jumping into another verse/action).

Lap Ride/Tickles/Bonding Songs
      -“Jingle Up. Jingle Down” (from E.K. Schwartz’s book “You and Me Makes… We”)- I haven’t used this song in any of my sessions yet, but I definitely love the idea of pairing a lap ride with jingle bells because the movement will naturally allow the bells to jingle with the beat. Jingle bells are a great option for children in SM1. They are one the easiest instruments to play, because they immediately create sound in response to movement. Velcro jingle bells that can be worn make this even easier.

Instrument Play/Instrument Songs
      -“In My Little Hand” (E.K. Schwartz)- Just like jingle bells (and the reasons identified above), maracas are another great instrument choice for these developmental levels. Beyond giving the children the opportunity to explore the maraca (and a context for doing so), this song allows children to practice retrieving/relinquishing items such as the maraca and explore ways to play the maraca (e.g. high/low, round and round, on various body parts).

Gross Motor Movement/Movement Songs
      -“Put Your Hands Up High” (from E.K. Schwartz’s book “You and Me Makes… We”)- I feel that this is a great fit for children in SM1/the awareness and trust developmental levels. As discussed in the book, this song can be paired with scarves. Because of transitory nature of movements among children in these developmental levels, the scarves can give the children something to right “up high” for. I was able to use this in a session yesterday and it worked out great!

Cool Down/Songs About Me
      -“Wind, Oh Wind” Scarf Song- We will keep the scarves out for our final cool down music experience. Similar to the “Colors Way Up in the Rainbow” sung by Meredith in this week’s videos, the scarf will be slowly waved (in a figure 8 motion) approx. 12-18in away from the child’s face, allowing the child to visually track this object.
      If you haven’t heard this song before, here is a link from youtube:

Goodbye/Transition Songs
      -Wrap up the session with a calm, relaxing goodbye song. Caregivers can sway the child to the beat of the music. Just like Anne mentioned, it may not be a bad idea to continue the song as the caregivers bundle up the children (during winter season) and/or put into carriers, as this transition is not always easy for young children.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content