Create a Sprouting Melodies 2 Framework

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies – January 2023 Week 7 Create a Sprouting Melodies 2 Framework

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Julie Palmieri

Participant

Sprouting Melodies 2 Framework:

Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 2.

Write 5 sentences you can use when speaking with parents about musical responses of children in SM 2.

Create a plan for songs and music experiences to use in a Sprouting Melodies 2 session

Sean FitzGerald

Participant

5 words to describe Sprouting Melodies 2 would be exploratory, playful, energetic, funny, lighthearted

5 phrases that I would use when speaking to parents are: I know that during SM 1 we brought our bags in but the kiddos are much more active in this group and anything that they can interact with, they will interact with so we are going to leave the bags outside! It’s okay if your baby doesn’t start and stop with the group, we are all learning and this is a new activity to them so we will get it down eventually, but no rush! It’s okay if your baby is up and moving around the room, that’s healthy and shows that they are comfortable with being more independent! It’s okay if your baby isn’t focused on the music the entire time, this is a safe space for them to explore their environment and be social! Did you see that, after watching you start and stop with the music, your baby followed you and caught on, what a fun moment!

To do a Sprouting Melodies 2 session I would start with a gathering song like gather round to get everyone situated to the music. Next we would do a body percussion song like come and sit with me and clap your hands (which AJ sang in the video) because the kiddos would be able to get their body involved in the music. Then I would move into a song about me like All of this is me, me, me which Liz sang in the videos because it would support the kiddos development of self while maintaining the body being involved. Next, I would do a shaker song like Come and Shake With Me (Favor presented it in the video) because it would allow the kids a chance to interact with instruments. Next I would do a movement song like I’ll Go Marching to the Music Will You Come to allow the kids to engage their whole bodies. Next I would do a cool down song followed by the goodbye song to wrap up the session!

Kayla Stubblefield

Participant

Love that you connected your phrases to parents to SM1!

Jorden Liteplo

Participant

Fun. Upbeat. Rhythmic. Engaging. Sensory.

I would say; It’s totally ok if your baby is exploring the room instead of drumming with us, that’s completely developmentally appropriate for them to want to explore separate from you. Look, he is shaking on the beat some of the time. She is able to shake her own hands and feet to the music now, you’re getting to be such a big girl! Just because your child doesn’t look like they are paying attention doesn’t mean they aren’t soaking in the information. I know in our last class we turned our babies to face us, but they are starting to get more curious about the world and may want to turn around and check everything out, that’s ok!

I would begin a session with a hello song and secondary hello song such as “oh clap your hands everybody.” Then I would usually follow with some kind of action song and move into an instrument song, such as the shaker one that was in the video, I think I will have to use that one with my daycare groups. Then I like to do some moving around the room or a go and stop song where the babies bounce. Next we settle in for a baby sign song and some bonding songs or songs about the world (animal sounds, body identification.) Depending on the group I would end with a lap ride song or a sensory song involving scarves and bubbles, do a gentle calm down song and then sing goodbye.

Kayla Stubblefield

Participant

I like that you said “shaking on beat some of the time.”

Angie Snell

Participant

Nice comments for parents, Jorden.

Erika (TeamRH)

Keymaster

Reminder: Please add the names of songs you would use for each experience of the plan you share.

Thank you 🙂

Kayla Stubblefield

Participant

Exciting. Grounding. Silly. Funny. Curious.

Phrases I would use:
      Look at how your child is moving their body to the rhythm of the music- move with them! It is totally appropriate that your child is exploring the space and stepping in and out of the music experience- it shows that they are being more independent. This is a great opportunity to use rhythm to bring them back to the music space. Did you see that your body started and stopped moving with the music! That was incredible.

My plan:

1. Hello Song
      2. “Do You Wanna Be My Friend?”- Songs about my world; I would implement this song to encourage appropriate social skills.
      3. “Wiggly Jiggly Car”- Bonding song
      4. “In My Little Hand”- instrument play song
      5. “Where Is The Music?”- Songs about me.
      6. Goodbye Song.

Leah Strand

Participant

Describing words: Louder, wiggly, fun, rhythmic, and explore

Phrases: Watch you child take in everything they see no hear! Don’t be afraid to explore along with your little one. You can start to think about how the songs we’ve already learned can grow with them developmentally. If your ever concerned that your child isn’t developmentally there yet that’s okay! I can answer any questions you may have about it! our child may have different ways of sharing their attention with us we just need to pay attention to see what they do that indicates they actually are.

Plan: Hello song- most likely the gather round song as it is still familiar and engaging to this group. I would then incorporate songs about “me” and then the world outside of themselves. After this I think it would be great to get out the scarves for a row your boat song incorporating them. As for instruments play I would probably use the song wiggle jiggly car and adapt it with tambourines which can also pair as a bonding song as well involving the parents and children to “drive” the wiggly jiggly car. After this I would use a transition song that includes putting the instruments away and gathering around for the goodbye song.

Angie Snell

Participant

5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 2: Fun, active, engaging, playful, and spontaneous

5 sentences you can use when speaking with parents about musical responses of children in SM2:
      1. Music prompts muscles into action, so it is expected that your child and others will move about the room
      2. Today is about sharing exploration together. Notice how your son/daughter moves when we play this on the drum.
      3. I see your child anticipates when your lap bouncing is going to stop. Smiles and then giggles!
      4. He’s singing the end of the phrase!
      5. It’s ok when the children don’t shake the maraca, make sure they can see you shaking it.

Create a plan for songs and music experiences to use in a Sprouting Melodies 2 session:
      A. Greeting/Gathering Songs: Come Gather Togethers; Sit Down With Me
      B. Bonding Songs: Hold On Tight: Wiggly, Jiggly Car
      C. Song About Me: All of This is Me; Can You See Me?
      D. Instrument songs: Sit With Me and Shake; In My Little Hand
      E. Movement Songs: March With My Baby; Pick Your Hands Up High
      F. Goodbye: Goodbye, Goodbye; Music Time is Over; All Done

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content