Create a Sprouting Melodies 2 Framework

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies – June 2022 Week 7 Create a Sprouting Melodies 2 Framework

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Anonymous

Inactive

Sprouting Melodies 2 Framework:

Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 2.

Write 5 sentences you can use when speaking with parents about musical responses of children in SM 2.

Create a plan for songs and music experiences to use in a Sprouting Melodies 2 session

Meghan Hanley

Participant

Playful, surprise, energy, free movement, exploration

It is great for children to face parents to see them as well as their peers.
      It is okay for children to move in and out of the activity.
      It’s ok for your child to be sitting still. They are just observing and taking it all in and observing.
      It’s great to tap them on their bottom of their feet to provide extra sensory input.
      When jumping, make sure their feet land firmly on the ground.

Hello, Wiggly Jiggly Car, Shake Down, March with my baby, all of this is me, Goodbye

Diandra Doble

Participant

Exploration, surprise, spontaneous, timbre variety, observation….also wanted to add in authenticity. That word jumped out to me when they said it in the video.

Children love surprises that they know are coming (anticipated surprises)!
      Children’s brains are processing on the inside in those moments when they are sitting and staring on the outside! Their brain is just processing what is happening.
      Keeping and holding your child close is great, but also letting them go is just as important. They’re not rejecting you (parent), they are developing their own identity. Also make sure to provide that feeling of “coming back” for your child once they venture off and explore so that way they feel that they can come back to you.
      When your child is on your lap, positioning your arms and hands around and underneath the child’s shoulders is vital so that way when you clap, they can join in with your clapping movement if they are holding on tight to your hand or whatever it be.
      The bottom of your child’s feet is a great way for them to take in information and can help them process. It helps them to organize their body through the rhythmic movement by using the bottom of their feet to stomp, for example.

Hey! Hey! Come and Play!, Hello, Hold On Tight, Can You See Me?, In My Little Hand, March With My Baby, Music Time Is Over

Holly Jurca

Participant

Spontaneous, timbre variety, free movement, exploration, surprise

I think the general theme I took away from this is that there is competence in spontaneity. Your children are observers and are absorbing everything to later show us that they’ve understood and mastered what we have showed them. At this stage, children are transitioning from the cradling position to the seated lap position. They want the secure base of coming back to you, but they want the freedom to go where they want to go. Peer-to-peer interaction is not as commonly explored at this stage. Keep them close, but let them go and explore their own identity.

“Hey! Hey! Come and Play!” , “Wiggly, Jiggly Car” , “Can You See Me?” , “Sit With Me and Shake” , “Music Time Is Over” “Thank You”

Elizabeth Bentz

Participant

5 words: exploration, play, energetic, sponge, move

Sentences:
      “One of the choices your child can make is how to explore the instruments, and that may include putting it in their mouth.”
      “We want to leave room for your child to respond, so an easy thing to do is count slowly to 10 in your head.”
      “We take in a lot of processing through the bottom of our feet, so when your child is standing for movement make sure their feet are flat on the ground”
      “If your child is quiet and still, that is okay! They are taking in everything around them, including the music”
      “Remember we want anticipation surprises, not real surprises!”

Session Plan: Hello song, Wiggly Jiggly Car (lap song), Just Like Me (song about me), I Like This Song (instrument song using maracas or drum), Can You Follow (movement song with scarves), Goodbye song

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content