Create a Sprouting Melodies 3 Framework

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies – January 2022 Week 8 Create a Sprouting Melodies 3 Framework

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Erika Svolos

Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 3
      Create a plan for songs and music experiences to use in Sprouting Melodies 3

Amy Brownell

Participant

Words
      Active, Emotions, Deliberate, Personality, Creative

Plan
      Set out instruments on the floor in a circle and play recorded music while families enter the room. Allow children to explore the instruments.
      Hello/Gathering Song – Sing ‘Sit Down With Me’ while performing different actions (pat, stomp, etc.) to the beat. Have the children come up with different actions to add to the song.
      Songs About Me/Body Percussion – Chant ‘Where is the Music?’ while patting and incorporate other actions from the greeting song.
      Lap Ride/Bonding Song – Have children sit in adult laps to sing ‘Swimming Together’ and move side to side with the music. Children may move to the middle of the circle to perform the movements there if they wish while the adults continue to model.
      Instrument Song – Sing ‘You Play a Little’ while holding a frame drum and playing back and forth with each child. Have adults do this as well with the children around them.
      Movement Song – Have children and adults stand in a circle while singing ‘Will You Come?’ and moving around the room (march, run, etc.). Play a steady beat on the drum to indicate the tempo.
      Cool Down – Chant the book ‘Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb’ by Al Perkins and encourage the children to follow along with the finger play.
      Goodbye – Sing ‘Time to Go’ and ‘Thank You Very Much’ while encouraging the children to shake hands

Emily Fabian

Participant

WORDS: Creativity, Activity, Strength, Personality, and Deliberate

PLAN: GATHERING/GREETING: Sing “sit down and join my circle” while children and caregivers gather, singing to each individual child. BONDING: Sing “my brand new friend” while parents/caregivers guide children around the space allowing them to introduce themselves. SONGS ABOUT ME: Sing “I’m glad you’re here today”. Take pauses during singing to hear from each child how they are feeling and what they are looking forward to in music. INSTRUMENT: Sing “you play a little” while inviting children and caregivers into the middle of the circle where the gathering drum is located. Allow for turn taking. MOVEMENT: Sing “jumping up and jumping down”. Guide the children through the movements of the song. GOODBYE: Sing “time to go”.

Jessica Gelineau

Participant

Experiences in Sprouting Melodies 3 are active, strong, intentional, accepting and creative.
      Plan for SM 3:
      Gathering: Set up the room for instrument play and exploration. Allow children to move freely around the room. Then sing a Hello Song, singing each child’s name during the song.
      Bonding: Sing Hold On Tight, and encourage parents and caregivers to use musical cues and silly play to encourage parent bonding.
      Songs About Me: Sing Sit Down With Me. As you are singing this song, encourage each parent or caregiver to give their child a gentle squeeze during the lyric “me” to reinforce the concept of self.
      Instrument: Sing I Like This Song while using a drum in the middle of the group. Encourage children to come to the middle of the circle, and play the drum.
      Movement: Sing Jumping Up and Jumping Down as children jump.
      Goodbye: Sing Thank You Very Much as children leave the room. This is a nice opportunity to encourage multimodal learning, and model sign language as children exit the room.

Anne Reed

Participant

Experiences in Sprouting Melodies 3 begin to show personality, show intent, are creative, with more emotion and push and pull.

Play music in the background as families arrive and get situated. Turn off the background music and encourage families to join the circle area once they are ready to start. Sing a gathering song “Sit Down with Me and Play This Song” while the participants join the circle. Allow the children to move around the room. At this stage I may begin to be more selective as to what I leave out and what I keep in bags or containers to bring out later especially if you have some walkers. For example if I am playing the gathering drum for the gathering song I will leave out some mallets inviting the children to play along. Once the group is all in the circle I would do a traditional “Hello” song. Next move on the the bonding song. With the increase in activity keeping a child in ones lap may be challenging so at this stage try some leg bounces (parent lays on their back, place child over on the lower part of their legs between knees and feet- gently bounces). You can use a song like “Listen to the Horses.” Add a “woe” and lift the child up with your legs for couple of seconds. Put you legs down an begin singing again. Or, parents can have their child stand on their feet, hug their legs and the parent marches around to the tune “We are the Dinosaurs (Laura Berkner). Do a transition allowing the parents to sit back (We are the dinosaurs and it’s time to sit down). Move to songs about me- Shake your sillies out, clap your sillies out, stomp your sillies out, sneeze your sillies out, blink your sillies out, etc. Conclude the song and pull out the instruments. I have a song called “Instrument Rumba” that highlights the sounds of the various instruments as the children play. Next is movement, meet the children where they are at playing a drum to the rhythm of the motion while chanting “I can ___ I can __ I can ___ I can ____/and slowly start slowing them down and preparing them for the closing goodbye- Running, jumping, marching, walking, swaying, touching toes, sitting down. Finally, do the goodbye song. I like what Jessica said about including some sign language at this point.

Hannah Floyd

Participant

Words: Activity, Personality, Accepting, Creativity, Emotions

PLAN: GREETING: Sing “Sit Down With Me”. Have the children interact with each other and their parents to follow varying different actions. SONGS ABOUT ME: While singing the song “I’m Glad You’re Here Today” having each child and adult say how they are feeling today. BONDING: Have the children move to their parents and sing the song “Hold On Tight”. Have them interact in fun play. INSTRUMENTS: Place 2 gathering drums in the middle of the circle and have the children and adults take turns going forth to play them. Use the song “You Play Alittle”. MOVEMENT: Sing Jumping Up and Down to have children jump and do specific movements. GOODBYE: Sing goodbye.

Aliza Llovet

Participant

Words: Creative, Playful, Collaborative, Active, and Deliberate

Plan: Have music play during check in procedure and encourage exploration
      Greeting: Sing “Sit Down With Me”. Time for parents and kids to follow varying different actions.
      Songs about me: Group can sing “I’m Glad You’re Here Today” having each child and adult say how they are feeling today to increase emotional vocabulary.
      Bonding: Group can sing “Hold On Tight,” you can use the musical cues and silly play embedded into the song to encourage bonding.
      Instruments: While group sings “I Like This Song.” Place 2 gathering drums in the middle of the circle and have the children and adults take turns going forth to play them.
      Movement: Sing Jumping Up and Down to have children jump and can change the lyrics to encourage following directions and provide physical outlet.
      Goodbye: Sing goodbye song like “Thank you very much.” This can provide structure and set up expectations of the transition.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content