Create your own Developmental Sequence of music responses.

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies – September 2022 Week 4 Create your own Developmental Sequence of music responses.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

Anonymous

Inactive

Using the Developmental Sequence Worksheet as a guide, create your own developmental sequence of music responses for each of the four music experiences: Sing Play Move Listen.

Erika Svolos

If anyone has any questions regarding the Sequence, please send me an email and I can send you a sample response. I found this question to really help me think through how music development can move through the stages.

Celia Grove

Participant

Singing: react to familiar voices-> start recognizing familiar melodies-> start vocalizing to music -> start singing phrases with melodic contour->sing familiar songs independently or with instrumental accompaniment

Playing Instruments: turn eye gaze to instrument -> reach out to explore instruments or explore with mouth ->use hands to hit a drum -> grasp mallet to play -> play patterns with mallet

Movement: Move entire body with assistance through rocking or bouncing -> tolerate movement of body parts rhythmically -> clap hands -> continue hand clapping in a familiar song-> respond to cues to make certain number of movements

Listening: More attention to consonant pitches-> look towards the face of the singer->attend preferred music even with other sounds in the background -> anticipate the beginning of music -> listen to others making music maintaining attentive posture

Samantha M Lawrence

Participant

Singing:
      – Awareness: Make pitched vocalizations
      – Trust: Make purposeful pitched vocalizations
      – Independence: Imitate short vocalizations
      – Control: Match specific pitches
      – Responsibility: Sing familiar songs with melodic/rhythmic contour

Playing:
      – Awareness: Reach, touch, and explore source of sound
      – Trust: Play/strike an instrument to own rhythm
      – Independence: Bang two objects together
      – Control: Use familiar instruments functionally
      – Responsibility: Maintain internal beat when not playing

Moving:
      – Awareness: Calm to rhythmic rocking
      – Trust: Move body to own rhythm
      – Independence: Move body rhythmically to music
      – Control: Isolate body parts to move rhythmically
      – Responsibility: Learn simple social dances

Listening:
      – Awareness: Attention/enjoyment of consonance, inattention/displeasure of dissonance
      – Trust: Vocalize during the silence of music
      – Independence: Attend to favored music even with distractions
      – Control: Tolerate singing/playing along with peers/others
      – Responsibility: Listen to the music of others!

Hally Batterman

Participant

Singing:

Awareness – Alter vocalizations in response to singing voice
      Trust – Make vocal pitch changes in response to pitch changes
      Independence – Utilize melodic intonation when babbling
      Control – Match specific pitches
      Responsibility – Sing in varied pitches (high, medium, low)

Playing:

Awareness – Turn facial attention toward sound source
      Trust – Allow instruments to be played on different body parts
      Independence – Use hands to strike a drumhead
      Control – Grasp a mallet to play an instrument
      Responsibility – Maintain a grasp on a mallet while playing an instrument

Movement:

Awareness – Suck rhythmically
      Trust – Move entire body rhythmically in response to music
      Independence – Clap hands
      Control – Adjust speed of movement to reflect music
      Responsibility – Hop on one foot

Listening:

Awareness – Tolerate live music
      Trust – Display affect changes in response to emotional content of music
      Independence – Follow simple directions set to familiar music
      Control – Stop action to listen to music
      Responsibility – Maintain an attentive posture while listening

Grace Baer

Participant

Singing: A-Start making vocalizations to specific pitches. T-Start making adjustments to match leader’s pitch. I-Start using melodic intonations when babbling, more up and down inflection. C-Start matching specific melodic patterns in songs. R-Start matching both melodic and rhythmic patterns in songs.

Playing: A-React to and explore source of sounds. T-Experiment with rhythms. I-Try using instruments for intended purpose -tapping drum, shaking egg shaker. C-Coordinates experimentation with instruments with directions from leader. R-Keeps a steady beat internally and re-enters after rest on beat.

Moving: A-Sucking in rhythmic pattern. T- Swaying whole body or tapping hands or feet rhythmically. I-Making choice to respond rhythmically with whole body or with hands or feet to music stimulus. C-Listening and learning how to move in targeted manner – clap hands on beat. R-Following instructions for playing specific patterns on instruments.

Listening: A-Display of pleasure when hearing consonant music. T-Imitating preferred music. I-Follows directions in manner of singing or playing. C-Pausing own activity to hear music. R-Engaging by listening to others create music.

Brenna Sheaffer

Participant

Singing: Awareness-Vocalizations in pitch in response to music Trust- Starting to occasionally match the pitch Independence- Vocalizing in babbles in response to the music Control-Follows melody and pattern Responsibility- recognizes and uses pulse and meter along with melodic patterns

Playing Instruments: Awareness- exploring and responding to sedative vs. active Trust-begins to try out different rhythmic responses/patterns Independence: exploration of instruments purposefully Control: start/stop in response to the music (matching) Responsibility: Steady beat!

Moving: Awareness-movements are instinctual and used as a way to communicate/respond Trust-begin to display repetitive movements in response to the music Independence-Choices what body parts will move rhythmically (making choices of what they will move) Control-Mirrors modeled and repetitive musical movements Responsibility- Begins to move structurally in specific sequences

Listening: Awareness-begins to recognize differences in vocalizations Trust-Aware of familiar melodies, can be source of familiarity and comfort Independence- Mirrors the music through timbre, pitch, and meter (how are they moving/playing in response to the music?) Control- Meaningful pause to listen to the music Responsibility- Pausing to actively listen to the music making of others

Caitlyn Pawelek

Participant

Singing- Awarness- vocalizations corresponding to pitches in music T- matching the occasional pitch I- Responding to the music melodically with babbles C- Can follow patterns and rhythms R- singing familiar songs

PLaying- A- Looking to and away from sound sources T-exploring instruments with hands and mouth I- using hands to strike instruments C- folliwing directions with the music R-maintaining a steady beat

Moving- A- Rhythmic Sucking T- full body movements to their own rhythm/beat I- Full body movements to music rhythm C- Clapping/moving on beat R- Follows instructions to play

Listening A- Attention to music, pleasure while listneing T-positive affect while listening to familiar songs I-maintains engagement to preferred music despite distractions C- accepts music making with others R- listening to others make music

Leeann Mcmorrow

Participant

Singing
      Awareness: turning head toward the music.
      Trust: attempting to make a vocalization along with the song.
      Independence: Increased vocalization, using silence/space during music.
      Control: incorporates dynamics
      Responsibility: singing in full phrases

Playing
      Awareness: looking towards an instrument being played
      Trust: putting instrument in mouth
      Independence: Purposeful playing in short, non-rhythmic spurts.
      Control: shaking a shaker when the music provides cue to do so.
      Responsibility: consistent steady beat

Moving
      Awareness: the rise and fall of steady breathing from the chest in sync with music
      Trust: Some movement, not coordinated with music.
      Independence: Increased movement coordination with music.
      Control: Repeats specific movements.
      Responsibility: Able to move with a consistent steady beat.

Listening
      Awareness: Prefers familiar timbre of music/voice.
      Trust: May make vocalizations along with the music
      Independence: can follow directions (ex. clap hands) as instructed by the music.
      Control: listens through silence/spaces in the music
      Responsibility: listens to same songs repeatedly

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content