Create your own developmental sequence of music responses in each of the four music experiences: Singing, Playing, Moving, and Listening.

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies Training – September 2015 Week 4 Create your own developmental sequence of music responses in each of the four music experiences: Singing, Playing, Moving, and Listening.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

Meredith Pizzi

Keymaster

Create your own developmental sequence of music responses in each of the four music experiences: Singing, Playing, Moving, and Listening. Use the Worksheet provided. Share with the group.

Lauren Klimek

Participant

Singing

Awareness- identifying the musical source, ex) by making eye contact
      Trust- sings along with others
      Independence- spontaneous vocalization
      Control- engages in call and response
      Responsibility- can follow song structure with dynamics

Listening

Awareness- identifying the musical source, ex) eye contact
      Trust- remains in proximity to the musical source
      Independence- self expression in music
      Control-follows musical cues
      Responsibility- able to transition from one music activity to the next

Playing Instruments

Awareness- how does their music fit in to the musical structure
      Trust- group music play
      Independence- solo music play (strumming guitar, playing drum)
      Control-improvising
      Responsibility- fitting their music into the musical structure

Moving

Awareness- ability to move
      Trust- anticipated movement/prompted movement
      Independence- spontaneous movement to rhythm
      Control- ability to follow musical direction
      Responsibility- can listen throughout music and movement activity/impulse control

This was harder to do than I thought! Some of it may be a little advanced for the developing child.

Joanna Calahan

Participant

Hello, here’s what I have come up with. I found this assignment challenging. Sometimes I get so caught up in trying to make sessions happen that I forget that each client is at a different level. It’s nice to have a guideline of musical developmental stages, and to create my own version to become more aware of and help reach my clients where they are at in their musical development.

Singing:
      awareness- identifies a sound source, trust- sings with familiar persons (mom/dad/therapist), independence- spontaneous vocalizations, control- creates and/or imitates musical patterns, responsibility- adapts to sing with others (blends pitch, dynamics, timbre, etc.)

Playing Instruments:
      awareness: touches instrument but doesn’t necessarily play, trust- knows a sound will be produced when it is touched/played (not purposefully making sound), independence- plays the instrument with purpose, control- plays with two hands & can play with pulse/meter, responsibility- plays as a part of a group

Moving:
      awareness- moves slightly to music without control, trust- moves when prompted, independence- moves on own (spontaneous), control- synchronizes movements to the rhythm, responsibility- practices the movements & coordinates routine through music

Listening:
      awareness- identifies sound source, trust- turns towards/away pleasing or unpleasant sounds, independence- adapts or changes to music as it appeals to them (client/self), control- purposefully adjusts dynamics/timbre/tempo to fit the music, responsibility- seeks music for self enjoyment to listen to (for relaxation, stimulation, etc.)

Megan Calabro

Participant

Ok! Giving this a good try… I’ve been under a decent amount of stress this week, so I apologize if I sound a little flustered with everything. Hope this all makes sense!!

Singing:
      Awareness – child first becomes aware of their auditory world. The child will localize to the sound source, and may vocalize in response to sound/singing.
      Trust – the child may purposefully make pitched vocalizations, or may change their own pitch, in response to what is happening in their world.
      Independence – the child engages in tonal babbling, and may use word approximations when singing.
      Control – the child may begin to sing tonal phrases approximating the melodic contour of a song.
      Responsibility – the child may begin to sing songs with more tonal and rhythmic accuracy, following the contour and structure of the song.

Playing Instruments:
      Awareness – the child will localize to the sound source, and may begin to alter movements in response to what is happening within their musical world.
      Trust – the child may purposefully explore instruments, to figure out “what is this thing”, and begin to play based upon their own internal rhythm.
      Independence – the child may purposefully explore instruments to figure out “what can I do with this thing?”. The child may also begin to transfer from one hand to another.
      Control – the child may begin to use the instruments functionally, and utilize a pincher grasp.
      Responsibility – the child may purposefully utilize both hands to play a particular instrument, and alternate hands. The child may also demonstrate and ability to organize their musical responses when playing.

Listening:
      Awareness – the child will localize to sound, and demonstrate the ability to differentiate sounds / pitches / timbres. The child may also demonstrate a preference for a particular vocal timbre.
      Trust – the child may vocalize in response to a trusted and familiar voice, and may indicate awareness of changes in response to changes within the music (and emotional content of the music).
      Independence – the child may begin to seek out the source of sound, and attend to preferred sounds / voices.
      Control – the child may take an active interest in the music / sounds of others, and signal this by stopping what they are doing.
      Responsibility – the child may begin to take an active interest in how they are able to make music with others, and how those pieces fit together.

Moving:
      Awareness – the child will demonstrate rhythmic sucking responses, and will demonstrate reflexive movement patterns.
      Trust – the child may move their body parts with their own internal rhythm. From what I understand, the movements are primarily bilateral, as opposed to single sided.
      Independence – the child may demonstrate rhythmic movements, particularly to the macro-best. The child may also after their rhythmic patterns in response to the music.
      Control – the child may begin to alternate their feet while stamping (when seated!), and may begin to combine two movements into a pattern.
      Responsibility – the child may begin to sequence movement patterns, and imitate the movement patterns of others.

Dina Breaux

Participant

Hi!
      Well, here it is. Honestly, I feel like I just re-worded and copied what I read in the book for this assignment. My hope is that I will be able to modify and individualize it enough to inform my work with the groups I will see for successful and effective musical development. Yes, my brain hurts a bit, but appreciate the return to MT terminology! It’s a good pain! ha ha ha 🙂

Singing
      Awareness: Turns body to caregiver’s singing and speaking voice
      Trust: Vocally imitates sounds during and after a familiar song or phrase
      Independence: Explores vocal range by imitating sounds in the environment
      Control: Intermittently sings along to a familiar song
      Responsibility: Sings entire songs independently and in small or large groups

Playing
      Awareness: Smiles and/or vocalizes towards a familiar musical sound source
      Trust: Momentarily grasps a maraca or egg shaker
      Independence: Purposefully shakes a maraca or strikes a drum intermittently during a song
      Control: Maintains a steady beat on an instrument during a short song
      Responsibility: Uses dynamics and tempo appropriately to accompany self and others

Moving
      Awareness: Reaches hand s or body towards a sound source
      Trust: Moves body for the duration of a short song
      Independence: Intermittently maintains a steady pulse on instrument or body for the duration of a short song
      Control: Moves to a strong pulse or beat for the duration of a short song
      Responsibility: Recalls a sequence of movements independently and with a group

Listening
      Awareness: Stops moving to locate a familiar vocal timbre
      Trust: Vocally imitates during a short call/response song or game
      Independence: Moves and plays along to varying tempos and dynamics
      Control: Purposefully sings, plays and moves during a call/response game
      Responsibility: Attentively listens while seated or still to longer pieces of music

Anonymous

Inactive

Hi Everyone- your answers all look great! In case anyone wanted an example, below is the sequence I created when I did the training.

Singing Awareness- Can discriminate pitches/ Trust- Makes vocal pitch changes in response to changes in pitch./ Independence- Strings two pitches together to form an interval/ Control- Generally matches selected pitches./ Responsibility- Matches discrete pitches in the high and low range.

Playing Instruments Awareness- Explores instruments with mouth and tongue./ Trust- Plays or strikes instruments with internal rhythmic beat./ Independence- Transfers instrument from hand to hand./ Control- Shakes instruments in a variety of tempos./ Responsibility- Alternates hands to play shaking instruments.

Moving Awareness- Moves entire body./ Trust- Moves entire body rhythmically in response to music./ Independence- Uses body to rock or bounce rhythmically./ Control- Isolates body parts to move rhythmically (head/feet, etc.)/ Responsibility- Recalls and reproduces simple learned movement patterns.

Listening Awareness- Prefers familiar vocal timbres./ Trust- Recognizes combinations of sound./ Independence- Seeks out source of music./ Control- Watches others as they make music./ Responsibility- Maintains an attentive posture while listening.

Gina Greeson

Participant

Yikes! I thought I posted but didn’t sorry!

Singing Awareness: looking in direction of singer/caregiver and giving a deep “sigh” Trust: makes a few similar pitch sounds to the singer or caregiver. Independence: Sings and imitates sounds of the singer/caregiver Control: Sings parts of familiar songs Responsibility: Sings most of songs and picks his or her favorite song.

Playing Instruments Awareness: holds instrument or looks in direction of instrument. My son is in this stage and puts the maraca in his mouth and hits it. Trust: shakes instrument to a beat or hits an instrument. Independence: shakes instrument to the beat and holds in both hands. Control: maintains the beat and follows changes in the beat. Responsibility: Can play instruments at given times (i.e. when cued) and follow dynamics and tempo changes.

Moving Awareness: moves body during music. Sometime my son will move in a “bouncing” motion and laugh. Trust: Moves body in response to the music. Independence: moves entire body and bounces during most of the song. Control: Can tap knees or head to the music. Responsibility: Can follow songs with different movements and chooses movements

Listening Awareness: looks in direction of caregiver singing/turn aware if does not like pitch. Trust: begins to recognize different sounds and attempts to imitate them. Independence: Listens to mother sing or possibly sits next to leader of group and listens to him or her sing pitches and possibly chords. Control: Watches others in group sing different parts of the songs. Responsibility: listens to others sing his or her own songs.

Kristina Rio

Participant

Great job with this everyone. Thank you for taking the challenge to dive into this post. Be sure to save/print your answers so this work is done for you and you can review it if you decide to take on your own Sprouting Melodies groups. Now the hard part is done and this will feel more solid to you as you run groups and can look back at it!

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content