Create your own Developmental Sequence of music responses

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies – September 2023 Week 4 Create your own Developmental Sequence of music responses

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author

Julie Palmieri

Participant

Using the Developmental Sequence Worksheet as a guide, create your own developmental sequence of music responses for each of the four music experiences: Sing Play Move Listen.

Lydia Westle

Participant

Singing:

Awareness – coos on a pitch
      Trust – Typically vocalizes in a descending melodic contour
      Independence – Uses varied vowels and consonants when vocalizing
      Control – Sings intervals of 2nd, minor and major 3rd, 4ths, and 5ths
      Responsibility – Uses dynamics in singing (Ex: Shout vs. whisper)

Playing Instruments:
      Awareness – N/A
      Trust – Brings shaker to mouth
      Independence – Grasps or shakes maraca
      Control – Bangs on instruments
      Responsibility – Is able to maintain playing in a steady beat

Move:
      Awareness – moves head towards source of sound & reaches towards music source
      Trust – Movements are rhythmic, but not synchronized
      Independence – Starts to match intensity in movements to intensity of the music
      Control – Dances spontaneously to music
      Responsibility – Uses musical movements in sequence

Listen
      Awareness – Prefers higher pitches & familiar vocal timbre
      Trust – Focuses inwardly in response to sedative / lullaby style singing ; outwardly to play-songs
      Independence – Enjoys crescendo & musical surprises of glissando, silence
      Control – Recognizes & associates favorite songs
      Responsibility – Listens to others play

MacKenzie Lyons

Participant

Singing: (A) A child will turn their facial attention toward the source of the singing → (T) A child will make purposeful pitched vocalizations in response to singing → (I) A child will babble using melodic intonation → (C) A child will sing two words in phrases using pitched intervals → (R) A child will sing familiar songs using melodic contour.

Playing: (A) A child will turn their eye gaze toward the source of the sound → (T) A child will reach out to touch the instrument → (I) A child will explore an instrument with their hands, feet, or mouth → (C) A child will use a familiar instrument functionally → (R) A child will alternate beating tempo from fast to slow and slow to fast.

Moving: (A) A child will calm to rhythmic rocking → (T) A child will move their entire body rhythmically in response to music → (I) A child will clap their hands → (C) A child will stop movement when music stops → (R) A child will imitate movements of others.

Listening: (A) A child will tolerate live music in the environment → (T) A child will adjust vocalizations to indicate happiness or displeasure → (I) A child will attend to favored music despite extraneous sounds → (C) A child will tolerate playing instruments along with peers and others → (R) A child will follow a session routine.

Courtney McDonald

Participant

Singing: A- turn eye gaze toward the source of singing. T – show pleasure when hearing a familiar song. I – display attention toward familiar songs when contour and range are preserved. C – use gestures or words to request a favorite song. R -sing familiar songs using melodic contour.

Playing: A – turn facial attention toward source of sound. T – reach out to touch instruments. I – explore instruments with hands, feet, or mouth. C – use familiar instruments functionally. R – maintain grasp on a mallet to play an instrument.

Moving: A – alter movements in response to changes in movement. T – tolerate movement of body parts rhythmically. I – use hands to move strings on a guitar or autoharp. C – start to move in response to music. R – recall and reproduce simple learned movement patterns.

Listening: A – tolerate live music in the environment. T – initiate vocalizations in response to silence in music. I – use hands, feet, or face to touch instruments. C – stop action to listen to music. R – listen to the music of others.

Camryn Gallagher

Participant

SINGING: Awareness – movement changes in response to hearing singing. Trust – matching pitches accurately about 50% of the time. Independence: Playing with/finding humor in vocal glissandos. Control- Independently singing and or/requesting to sing songs. Responsibility – Singing familiar songs with melody and rhythm.

INSTRUMENTS: Awareness – Look towards the source of a sound. Trust – reaching out to touch an instrument. Independence – Using hands to strike percussive instruments. Control – Playing instruments with varied dynamics. Responsibility – Using instruments in a call-and-response style musical game with others.

MOVEMENT: Awareness – Repetitive, rhythmic movements. Trust – Purposefully moving body along to music. Independence – Clapping hands. Control – Starting and stopping when the music starts/stops. Responsibility – Recalling and reproducing simple movement patterns.

LISTENING: Awareness – Increased attention in response to consonance. Trust – Responding to sudden silence by turning to look for the source of the sound. Independence – Attending to preferred music. Control – Anticipating the end of a familiar song/musical phrase. Responsibility – Listening/attending to the music of others.

Maura Nicholson

Participant

Singing: Awareness-Make sounds of different and varied durations. Trust-If a melody is changed, a child may shift their attention. Independence-Imitation of short vocalizations. Control- Singing a phrase with 2 or more words using pitched intervals. Responsibility-singing a familiar song while playing an instrument.

Playing: Awareness-The child will reach their arms toward the sound. Trust-A child may grasp an instrument. Independence-Transfers an instrument from hand to hand. Control- Use a gesture to indicate instrument choice. Responsibility-Will use alternating hands to shake an instrument.

Movement: Awareness-An infant will tolerate and may calm to rhythmic rocking. Trust-Tolerating the movement of body parts rhythmically. Independence-Uses their own body to move rhythmically. Control- Will start and stop movement in response to music. Responsibility-Respond when cued to make 1 or more movements.

Listening: Awareness-Alter movement when the music stops. Trust-Looking toward the singer’s face Independence-will follow simple direction set to music. control-Will stop action in order to listen to music. Responsibility- Will follow along with routine of session.

Olivia Todd

Participant

Singing: A- Infant will vocalize on a pitch. T- Infant will vocalize on a matching pitch half of the time. I- Infant will vocalize with melodic inflection. C- child will recognize and sing familiar phrases with two or more words using pitched intervals. R- Child will sing familiar songs.

Instrument Play: A- Infant will recognize different types of songs, sedative vs. play. T- Infant will briefly play on a beat. I- will grasp a maraca and shake it. C- will participate in a start/stop song. R- play along with a song and maintain a steady beat.

Movement: A- Rocking will calm child down. T- will wiggle side to side to music. I- Will wave hands on a beat. C- will clap hands or stomp feet. R- will participate in a movement song.

Listening: A- will turn gaze toward a familiar voice. T-will face a familiar song. I-will react to a glissando, suddenly slow or fast music. C- will stop playing their instrument to listen to the guitar R- will follow the routine of the session.

Elmira Abasova

Participant

Singing: A – a child may look at the person singing; T – a child may longer keep attention to the source of the sound; I – a child may imitate sounds; C – sings familiar parts of a song; R – can sing a song together with other children.

Playing: A – a child may look at the person playing an instrument; T – can explore instruments with hands and mouth; I – may use hands to play drums; C – chooses an instrument to play; R – can play instruments in a group.

Movement: A – a child may instinctively move to rhythm; T – a child may respond to music with repetitive movements; I – isolates body parts to perform rhythmic movements; C – a child may dance to music; R – can learn movements to a song.

Listening: A – a child may look at the source of the sound; T – can concentrate on listening longer; I – enjoys dynamic changes in music; C – can choose a favorite song to listen to; R – can recognize a song by melody without lyrics.

Daniel DeLucia

Participant

Singing: (A) Alter movements in response to singing (T) vocalizes in response to singing (I) imitates vocal sounds (c) sings high/low pitches (R) sings melodies that are familiar.

Playing: (A) turns head towards source of sound (T) joins in playing instrument with another person (I) plays a steady beat on drum (C) able to alter dynamics on instrument (R) imitate complex rhythm patterns/melodies with intent to relate to others

Movement: (A) move whole body (T) synchronizes movement to rhythm of music played (I) clap hands (C) initiate own movements (R) hold hands and sway side to side with another child

Listening: (A) prefer different types of music/intervals (T) makes pitches in response to silence in music (I) selectively attend to specific kinds of music (C) can choose between three instruments (R) pass around an instrument to a peer.

Kate Jihye Choi

Participant

*Singing
      -Awareness: Physical reaction to the person who is singing.
      -Trust: Making sound in response to singing, trying to match the pitch.
      -Independence: Imitating back to the singing when MT imitates the child’s sound.
      -Control: Singing or humming small parts of the familiar song with a similar pitch.
      -Responsibility: Singing a familiar song.

*Instrument
      -Awareness: React to the different sources of the sound.
      -Trust: Reaching out to, grabbing, or putting the instruments in the mouth.
      -Independence: Watching others play the instruments and imitating to play them.
      -Control: Choose the instrument and be able to follow simple directions in the song, such as stop/go.
      -Responsibility: Imitating more complex rhythms and following directions in the song, such as fast/slow, loud/soft, etc.

*Movement
      -Awareness: Moving their body in response to music.
      -Trust: Intentionally moving their body in response to music.
      -Independence: Bouncing or waving their body spontaneously to the rhythm.
      -Control: Initiating different movements to the change of the music.
      -Responsibility: Imitating movement patterns.

*Listening
      -Awareness: Looking for the source of the sound.
      -Trust: Reacting differently toward familiar songs and unfamiliar songs.
      -Independence: will recognize the changes in the music. Catching the child’s attention with music.
      -Control: Song choice.
      -Responsibility: being able to fill-in-the-blank when the music stops.

Amy Calderon

Participant

Singing: Awareness- calm to familiar melodies, Trust- show pleasure when hearing a familiar song, Independence- use simple word sounds in familiar songs, Control- use gestures or words to request a favorite song, Responsibility- sing familiar songs using melodic contour

Playing: Awareness- turn facial attention towards source of sound, Trust- reach out to touch instruments, Independence- grasp maracas or jingle bells and shake, Control- shake instruments in a variety of tempos, Responsibility- alternate beating tempo from fast to slow and slow to fast

Moving: Awareness- move entire body, Trust- move entire body rhythmically in response to music, Independence- use repetitive movement patterns, Control- isolate body parts to move rhythmically (head, feet, etc.), Responsibility- recall and reproduce simple learned movement patterns

Listening: Awareness- alter movement in response to silence in music, Trust- look toward sound source in response to silence in music, Independence- seek out source of music, Control- stop action to listen to music, Responsibility- listen to the music of others

Reagan Rademacher

Participant

Singing: (A) calms to pleasant, familiar singing (T) vocalizes in response to singing (I) imitates vocal singing (C) sings along to familiar songs (R) sings familiar songs independently.

Playing: (A) looks toward instrument being played (T) explores instruments with hands/mouth (I) imitates modeled instrument playing (i.e. shaking maraca, hitting drum) (C) alter dynamics/tempo of playing (R) maintains steady beat while playing.

Moving: (A) moves entire body to music (T) rhythmically moving body along with music (I) moves isolated body parts rhythmically (C) follows musical cues to move body (R) recalls and reproduces movement patterns.

Listening: (A) looks toward source of sound (T) vocalizes in response to silence (I) enjoys dynamic/tempo changes in music (C) chooses music to listen to (R) recognizes song by melody

Jessica Solimini

Singing: A) Child will coo/vocalize to a pitch T) Vocalize with matching pitch about half the time I) Imitates vocal sounds C) Singing with pitched intervals R) Child will sing familiar songs with a group

Playing: A) Turns toward sound T) Reaching out to touch an instrument I) Child may move the instrument from hand-to-hand C) Child will play an instrument and stop/start music R) Maintain a steady beat.

Moving: A) Moves whole body to music. T) Intentionally moves body to music I) Clapping hands to music. C) Child can start/stop moving their body in response to music. R) Recall and reproduce movement patterns

Listening: A) Recognizes changes in vocal timbre T) Recognizes familiar melodies I) Matches intensity of movement to intensity of music C) Stops their actions to listen to music R) Listens to the music of others.

Mark Dunford

Participant

Singing: (A) – Using pitch in vocalizations. (T) – Matches pitches at least half the time. (I) – Babbles with melodic inflection. (C) – Follows melodic contour of familiar songs.
      (R) – Incorporates pulse and meter with melodic contour

Play: (A) – Respond differently to sedative versus play song music. (T) – Briefly uses pulse and meter. (I) – Independently briefly and purposefully explores a variety of instruments. (C) – Follows music by stopping and starting with it. (R) – Maintain a steady beat.

Move: (A) – Instinctual Rhythmic movements. (T) – Repeated movement connected to external events, music. (I) – Able to isolate and move individual body parts. (C) – Imitates learned musical movements. (I) – Uses musical movements in a sequence.

Listen: (A) – Recognize change in vocal timbre. (T) – Recognizes familiar melodies. (I) – Begins to match intensity of movements to intensity of music. (C) – Stops action to listen to music. (R) – Actively listens to other’s music.

Billie Junget

Participant

Singing: (A) Vocalizing with pitch (T) Matches pitch half the time (I) babbling with melodic inflection (C) Follows melodic contour of a familiar song with intervals (R) uses pulse and meter within the melody

Playing: (A) Different responses to sedative and play songs (T) Exploring instruments with mouth (I) explores instruments with purpose/reach out to instruments (C) Start and stop play (R) Maintaining a steady beat

Moving: (A) Moves whole body with music (T) Intentionally moves body with music and repeats movements (I) Moving specific body parts (C) Starts and stop rhythmic movements (R) Can follow movement patterns with sequence

Listening: (A) Distinction with tone of voice (T) Recognizing a familiar melody (I) Following the intensity of the music (C) Stops to listen to music (R) Listening to their music or music of others

Lincoln Bowen

Participant

Singing: (A) Vocalizes with pitch. (T) Matches pitches around 50% of the time. (I) Babbles with melodic inflection. (C) Follows the melodic contour of familiar songs. (R) Utilizes pulse and meter within a melody.

Playing: (A) Reacts towards a source of sound. (T) Explores instruments through touch. (I) Reaches out to instruments. (C) Start and stops with musical cues. (R) Maintains a steady beat.

Moving: (A) Instinctually moves to musical stimuli. (T) Intentionally moves to musical stimuli. (I) Isolates specific body parts. (C) Imitates familiar musical movements. (R) Utilizes musical movements within a sequence.

Listening: (A) Recognizes vocal timbre shifts. (T) Recognizes familiar melodies. (I) Matches movements to musical intensity. (C) Stops an action to listen to music. (R) Listens to other’s music.

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content