Create your own developmental sequence

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies Training – April 2017 Week 4 Create your own developmental sequence

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author

Meredith Pizzi

Keymaster

Create your own developmental sequence of music responses in each of the four music experiences: Singing, Playing, Moving, and Listening. Use the Worksheet provided. Share with the group.

Alison Barrington

Participant

Can I ask what Beth/Meredith are hoping for here. thanks

I second Alison’s question. I’m not quite sure what I’m supposed to be doing for this one.

Elana Dietz-Weinstein

Participant

I understood the assignment as finding and listing other musical behaviors found in the various developmental stages, with the help of the book. I hope that’s right!

MOVING
      Awareness: Calms to rhythmic rocking
      Trust: Recognizes changes in rhythm in familiar songs
      Independence: Imitates clapping hands in response to music.
      Control: Starts and stops body in response to music.
      Responsibility: Demonstrates understanding of spatial boundaries when moving.

LISTENING
      Awareness: Increased attention to consonant pitches.
      Trust: Looks towards sounds source in response to silence.
      Independence: Enjoys musical surprises of fermata, glissando and silence.
      Control: Anticipates end of familiar phrases.
      Responsibility: Follows 2 and 3 step musical directions.

SINGING
      Awareness: Makes repeated sounds.
      Trust: Recognizes familiar melodies even when transposed. Detects changes in familiar melodies.
      Independence: Imitates animal sounds.
      Control: Increased amount of singing. Language and music is intertwined.
      Responsibility: Uses song lyrics along with melodic contour.

PLAYING INSTRUMENTS
      Awareness: Briefly grasps a musical instrument when placed in hand.
      Trust: Explores instrument with hands or mouth.
      Independence: Reaches for or retrieves instrument.
      Control: Able to used 2 handed instruments with “tools” (mallets, strikers and sticks).
      Responsibility: Groups simple rhythm patterns into sequences of patterns.

Alison Barrington

Participant

Elana – thank you for this. It makes a lot of sense and so I’m going to try to do something similar…

MOVING.
      Awareness: opening and closing fist in response to music. Trust: might turn away to unfamiliar or dissonant sounds. Independence: moving over to an instrument of choice. Control: begins to jump in response to the music. Responsibility: learning and repeating sequences of music in response to music.

LISTENING.
      Awareness: using eyes to track music when it moves around the space. Trust: calms to rocking music and might laugh to musical stimuli. Independence: will adjust affect in response to different mood of music, Control: can imitate rhythmic patterns. Responsibility: can hear contrast between own music and music of others.

SINGING:
      Awareness: vocalizing to show pleasure in response to music. Trust: makes pitched vocalizations. Independence: beginning to sing recognizable songs. Control: changes vocal timbre in response to emotional changes. Responsibility: can create own melodies and lyrics.

PLAYING INSTRUMENTS:
      Awareness: might lick or mouth an instrument. Trust: feel the vibrations of a drum by moving head/face near instrument. Independence: sustained beating of drums and tambourines using fists. Control: can play on same instruments as others. Responsibility: can alter own playing to match other players.

Thank you both, that does makes sense, here is my response.

MOVING: Awareness: alters movement in response to silence in music Trust: moves entire body rhythmically in response to music Independence: moves legs rhythmically Control: engages in movement with others Responsibility: Child can hop on one foot and move backwards and forwards

LISTENING: Awareness:shows decreased attention towards dissonant pitches Trust: displays affect changes in response to emotional content of music Independence: enjoys changes in dynamics, tempo or timbre Control: has ability to actively stop body and choose to listen Responsibility: adjusts quality of singing to blend with the group

SINGING: Awareness: uses varied dynamics in vocalizing and crying Trust: sings descending intervals Independence: Enjoys experimenting with melodic sounds Control: Sings two or three word phrases Responsibility: can coordinate breath, posture and muscle tone to sustain sound

PLAYING INSTRUMENTS: Awareness: Uses hands to touch the source of the sound Trust: plays simple, short, repeated phrases Independence: Initiates play Control: uses index finger to play keyboard or chimes Responsibility: alternates hands to play shaking instruments

Anonymous

Inactive

Thank you Elana for helping everyone. Her example is exactly the kind I would give. Looks like you all understand it now.

Elizabeth Schwartz

Keymaster

Thank you all for using this community in the way we had envisioned- becoming resources for each other! I know that this assignment has posed questions each time we have run the course, but we have found that after you ‘get it’ it becomes quite helpful in your practice.

Jen Hinton

Participant

Some different ideas really flowed for me and for some developmental areas I seemed to be focused on the same examples given…but, here goes:

Singing:
      A- produces different timbres in vocalizing
      T- more purposeful vocalization during music experiences
      I- matching breath and facial affect to timing cues
      C- repeat sort, melodic content
      R- singing whole chorus or song

Instrument Playing
      A- visually attend to the location of the instrument
      T- explore instrument through reaching, touching, holding
      I- play instrument while displaying awareness of intent
      C- play instrument in an intentional way (notes up or down)
      R- play melody (created, learned, or improvised)

Moving
      A- reaching, kicking
      T- moving head; bouncing body
      I- waving (hello!) in our gathering song
      C- clapping, stomping, wiggling
      R- recall sequence of movement (clap, stomp, wiggle)

Listening
      A- change in respiration to match or reaping
      T- change in affect
      I- showing body language to reflect
      C- active listening to directed listening (i.e. Certain instruments or sounds in music)
      R- ability to recognize a particular instrument by sound

Laura Pruett

Participant

I also was confused by what was being asked, so thanks for sharing your thoughts everyone!

Singing
      Awareness: Pitched vocalizations when cooing or crying
      Trust: Can match pitches about half the time, may startle at surprise element of singing
      Independence: Sing to their dolls or cars
      Control: Puts on a show to sing their song
      Responsibility: Plays around with pulse and meter in familiar songs, resulting in some syncopation

Playing Instruments
      Awareness: Mouth or lick an instrument
      Trust: Uses fists or open hands on drums in random patterns or 1-3 beat patterns
      Independence: Uses a single finger to play a key on the piano
      Control: Plays two-handed instruments
      Responsibility: Keep a steady beat with others

Movement
      Awareness: Slow instinctual rhythmic movements in response to sedative music
      Trust: Pat knees in response to music
      Independence: Intentionally moves body parts
      Control: Jumps along to music
      Responsibility: Learns sequence of movements to music

Listening
      Awareness: Turns head toward familiar timbres of singing
      Trust: Looks where music had been when it stops
      Independence: Increases vocalizations or movements when a familiar song starts
      Control: Adjusts the speed of movements to match the tempo of the music
      Responsibility: Able to listen and wait for their turn to play within a group

Anonymous

Inactive

Hello Everyone. I am posting on behalf of Mabel Ortiz as our system has had some kind of technical glitch and her post is not posting.

SINGING: Awareness: Makes cooing sounds. Trust: Vocalize in an attempts to follow sounds. Independence: Utilizes intervals when vocalizing. Control: Attempts of vocalizing familiar melody. Responsibility: Adapts to sound/timbre when singing with others.

PLAYING INSTRUMENTS: Awareness: Instrument exploration. Trust: Child attempts to utilize instrument to make sounds. Independence: Better grasp and intentional instrument playing. Control: Adapts to tempo of the music with instrument. Responsibility: Responds or play when prompted.

MOVING: Awareness: Responses to rhythm or music are reflexive, come naturally. Trust: Stops movement when music disappears. Independence: Directs own movement in response of music maker. Control: Child has dominance over speed of movements. Responsibility: Learns patterns of movements and is able to maintain sequence with a group.

LISTENING: Awareness: Looks for sounds coming from facilitator or objects in visual range. Trust: Attention to consonant music. Independence: Positively responds and recognizes familiar music. Control: Listen and imitates patterns. Responsibility: Has the ability to think of melody of song before listening to it.

Carolyn Keenan

Participant

SINGING: Awareness – cooing sounds. Trust – pitched vocalizations. Independence – vocalization is a recognizable song. Control – Sings pitched intervals while putting words together in a short musical phrase. Responsibility – Uses change in vocal timbre to express emotion

PLAYING INSTRUMENTS: Awareness – mouth instrument. Trust – grasp maracas in both hands and shake briefly. Independence – Can sustain play for longer periods. Control – Uses mallet and crosses midline to play. Responsibility – Plays a short rhythmic sequence on cue.

MOVING: Awareness: moves arms and legs reflexively. Trust – reaches arms up. Independence – uses hands to touch various body parts during song. Control – adjusts speed of movements to match movements. Responsibility – performs learned sequence of movements.

LISTENING: Awareness – look at singer’s face. Trust – looks toward where music had been after a change/stop in music. Independence: response changes when child hears a familiar song. Control – maintains interest in music even when not in action. Responsibility – can listen to a pattern and repeat it

Claudia Eliaza

Participant

Singing: Awareness – Will cry with discomfort and make cooing sounds when content. Trust – Pitched vocalizations/imitates modeled pitches. Independence – uses melodic intonation along with simple words. Control – Uses clearly pitched intervals to sing. Responsibility – Singing and playing take on a style that is a combination of vocal timbre, accuracy of melodic intonation, and rhythmic freedom.

Playing Instruments: Awareness – Mouth/lick instruments. Trust – Enjoys shaking instruments (eggs/maracas), Independence – Begins to hold mallets or other musical tools. Control – Beginning to use 2 handed instruments. Responsibility – Can move instruments from one hand to another.

Movement: Awareness – Move arms and legs reflexively in response to music or the music provider. Trust – Can reach arms from side to side and up and down. Independence – Can cross midline to play an instrument. Control – Now able to jump. Responsibility – Able to do learned sequences of movement.

Listening: Awareness – looks at the musical source (where music is coming from be it the music-maker, an instrument, or a player). Trust – Looks toward the location of where the music had been. Independence – looks and smiles or increases vocalizations and movement when a familiar song is heard. Control – Alert to the musical actions of others. Responsibility – Can hear differences from his/her music and others’ music.

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content