Discuss Traditional and Cultural Music

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies – June 2021 Week 3 Discuss Traditional and Cultural Music

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Anonymous

Inactive

Discuss the traditional and cultural music in the community where you work. Be sure to come back and respond to others as well.

Maria Ramey

Participant

One place I work at is a somewhat traditional community music school and the music everywhere there is predominately classical. I feel at home in that myself, having grown up always listening to and playing classical music, but what I have loved in this particular community-within-a-community, is that there are a lot of mixed cultures concentrated in the neighborhood area and families from other countries bring their own interpretation of classical music, their art songs, folk songs, etc., and some of the concerts there have been so incredibly and beautifully varied within an overarching umbrella of “classical”.

Combining and utilizing so many different kinds of music under the umbrella of classical music sounds so fascinating.

Mikelia Wallace

Participant

The music culture where I work mostly centers around children’s standards, Disney songs, and classic rock/pop favorites, like “Yellow Submarine” and “On the road again.” As far as cultural music, we are looking to incorporate more Spanish favorites, as a majority of families we work with are part of the Latinx community. We don’t use a lot of Classical music as it isn’t client preferred music for most the kiddos I work with.

The music culture I work in is predominantly American children’s standards, folk songs, Disney music, and classic rock. I also have the joy of working with families who are Mormon and have their own children’s music. Since I am in Arizona, I have also used traditional Mexican folk music with a few of my families. Some of my families also want to incorporate Christian children’s music into sessions to increase social interactions with the whole family. Many of the songs I use are focused on goals and preferences of my clients. I also had the honor of completing my internship with Laurie Farnan so many of my songs are instrument/sensory specific.

Samantha Springer

Participant

I love Laurie Farnan! She is a phenomenal musician and music therapist. I use many of her instrument based and sensory based songs as well!

Samantha Springer

Participant

Manny of the songs that I use at my place of work are sensory and instrumental based. I write a lot of my own songs and use a lot of traditional folk songs in my work with the clients I serve. Many of the clients I serve enjoy children songs, 70’s/80’s songs, and pop songs. Besides sensory and instrument based music, I play a wide range of music every day based on their preferences and personal/family culture.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content