Family and Community

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies Training – January 2013 Week 5 Family and Community

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author

Elizabeth Schwartz

Keymaster

• What are the needs of the families you work with? What  are the needs of your community? Share with the board how your families  and communities might be unique.

Laura Montesano

Participant

The truth is I would REALLY like to start some kind of community music group- ideally Sprouting Melodies group for the Mexican population of Boulder County, there is SUCH a great need, but it’s tricky because these are the families that most often do not have the funds or resources to attend a group like this- I could consider some grant writing- but this is something that I am so passionate about and I’m dying to figure out a way to make this work (if I could do it for free I would- but unfortunately I don’t have that luxury) so I would say that’s how the community here is unique, there is a high population of Spanish-speaking families, who have children that may fall into the “at-risk” category.

There certainly is another population here in Boulder (without a doubt) but I work with those families less often. The English-speaking families are very in need of music therapy, in my opinion ;). There are a lot of music together classes and I do have some speech clients that I work with that take their children with autism to the music together groups- which is great they are getting that exposure to music but, I just feel like they could be getting SO much more with a music therapist……so, yes, ….I’m working on starting some groups here.

Angie Carter

Participant

We have NO professional music groups of any kind in our community! There are little story time groups at the library, several Mom’s groups and a free music group led by a childcare coordinator. I initially encouraged many of my families to attend this group when it started a year ago as it seemed like an oppotunity. The reviews have not been good. Dull, slow, too repetitve, boring. The idea was to provide a non stressful environment where kids and parents could interact with music. Good premis!

The past summer I provided a music class for 18-3 yr olds 1 time per week for 8 weeks out of my home. It was successful, but limited because no one wanted to pay.

I feel strongly that the community needs opportunity for music and development classes. One of the biggest needs I see if the “discovery”, facilitating interaction between child and parent. So many social groups are encouraging independence and separation, but this class has really demonstrated the importance and opportunity of parent child interaction. I often feel like this is something that I missed out on with multiples, and that has made it difficult for me to realize how important it is to stress that to families.

I have concern with how to get this program up and running and funded. I looking forward to more info on marketing and program development.

Meredith Pizzi

Laura and Angie,
      You both bring up important points about funding for our services. Yes, funds are often limited, but there are ways to create ways that provide access to services and can provide you with a decent income. It’s not easy, and it takes perseverance, creative thinking, and a lot of networking with out passionate people, but it is possible! We will get into advocacy later and how being a Sprouting Melodies Provider will really reinforce your general advocacy as a music therapist, and will connect you a much wider network.
      Libraries often have funding reserved and may be very interested in partnering with you to meet a need that is clearly demonstrated by the community, for example, the Mexican families in Boulder. The free music group that you mention Angie, seems to be an attempt to meet a need in the community, but clearly it isn’t working if the reviews aren’t good. Maybe there are libraries in your area, or other community centers working with children and families who would want to contract with you to run Sprouting Melodies groups. This year, we were approved to be on the list of vendors for subsidized housing programs, so that we can bring Sprouting Melodies to parents and children who really NEED our groups, but don’t have the means to pay for a specialized music class like ours. We are really hopeful about how this will play out for us in 2013.
      Also, consider the possiblity of mixed programs. By running our groups as a community based class that families pay for, we have been able to offer classes to families on a sliding scale, and we’ve offered options to Head Start and agencies working with foster families to be able to take advantage of our classes as well. If you have 5 or 6 people paying full price for a class, you can afford to offer a mixed price to others.
      Laura, do you think there are more affluent families in the Boulder area who would want to participate in a bilingual Sprouting Melodies class which would then allow you to open the group up to families who maybe couldn’t pay full price? Or are the agencies that would be able to find the budget dollars to get you in the door?
      Thanks for your contributions, Ladies!

Amy DiLabio

Participant

The responses to this forum are very encouraging to me. I see a great need for quality parent/child programs in a subsidized housing community near to me. These children are at risk and in general their parents are in need of support too. I would like to provide a class for these families, but they are not able to pay and I struggle with how to network or who to contact with regards to funding for my proposed program.I have been considering offering a class at my local library too. I thought it would help me to be a visible part of the community as well as a recognized MT provider. I am looking forward to reading the other participants ideas and plans for programs in their communities. Thanks!

Tamara Strom

Participant

We have Kindermusic locally as well as an arts studio that offers mommy and me classes in my town. However, none of them, (to my knowledge) offers classes that are music therapy based or run, nor do they offer classes for kids with special needs. I also used to volunteer with a music program called “Brudges”, which was run at one of the local elementary schools, and paired special needs preschoolers with typical third graders in an attempt to build a bridge through music. It unfortunately was eliminated several years ago. That program was great in its ability to create community and develop sensitivity and understanding among the preschoolers and the older mentors. It was also a joy to witness the children develop through music.

I think music therapy based programs would be a huge asset to the community, as it would benefit both typical children and those with special needs. It would also provide a fantastic network and outlet for the families.

Cindy Humphreys

Participant

The community where I work has been hit hard economically like the rest of the state of Michigan. All of our families have been touched somehow by unemployment, or loss of wages including both white and blue collar workers. I feel that because of the stress families have, our services are needed more than ever. I imagine a group that can help the entire family by promoting positive interactions within the family unit. Also, a time to get away, enjoy their children and network with other parents.

Before I started this course I talked with our Director of Special Education about her vision for implementing Sprouting Melodies. She feels that this should be a service that the school provides, under the umbrella of the 0-3 program. I feel fortunate that I have a supervisor who is supportive, forward thinking, and knowledgeable of the benefits of music therapy. She and the infant/toddler teachers are very excited about it.

Elizabeth Schwartz

Keymaster

Through this training and Raising Harmony, we are committed to creating a widespread but connected community of music therapists who are passionate about young children and families. All of us will be here to support you as you reach out to your own communities. Yes, there is strength in numbers!

Wei Ming Loi

Participant

The music therapy community in Singapore is very small. But as for music with early intervention, there are lots of music schools in Singapore running music and movement activities with the children.. In fact, most if not all playgroups and nurseries in Singapore has Music and Movement as part of their curriculum. There is also Kindermusik and Gymboree which acts as supplementary classes outside school. However, I work in a special school and the children here are deprived of those available services as the programmes do not accept children with disabilities. I feel that Sprouting Melodies can be a service that can be provided to the children in the special schools and especially when parents often find it hard to bond with their child. Music can be a powerful tool in that.

Alyssa Kereki

Participant

Cindy – that is amazing that your Director of Special Education and the teachers in your area are excited about Sprouting Melodies! I never considered going through the school, but I think it’s a great idea that I’ll have to keep in mind.

Since I am still new to my community, it is taking some time to find out what is offered and what the families really need. I do know that a local music therapy private practice offers weekly Music Together sessions and has had a great response to the program. In general though, there is little music therapy present in the community. This is actually why I moved to Newburgh, Indiana because when I was doing practicum work in the neighboring city there was a huge list of facilities begging to have us work with their clients. We could not possibly work with all of the facilities at once, so many were put on a rotation system and received services every couple of semesters. Most of these facilities have recognized the benefit of music therapy but are not able to afford to hire a music therapist. Right now, my former professor and I are working on creating affordable music therapy programs for these different facilities, even if it means I will only be running one session a week. Presenting music therapy in this different light has not only heightened the desire for services but is making the community realize that they CAN in fact afford it!

As for the families that I work with, most of them are just starting to hear about the new music therapy program for the special education classrooms. I am not quite sure what their needs are yet, but after giving an in-service to the teachers I realized that tips on incorporating music into the educational environment when I am not present is a great concern of theirs. They are seeing the benefits of music therapy and have agreed to come to me when they want to create a specific intervention. The teachers also asked me to create a pamphlet about music therapy and special education that they can distrubute to the parents when they start asking questions. I am very excited to see how the parents react and where their input will take the program!

Robin Jacobs

Participant

An early intervention provider has a music therapist on staff, and I thnk they bill through developmental play/social groups.

A professor from UNC-Chapel Hill School of Nursing spoke to our staff meeting last Friday about a new grant-funded research study she wants the Raleigh Children’s Developmental Center, CDSA (state early intervention agency where I work doing office support) to help implement. The title of the project is “Exploration of Depressive Symptoms in Mothers of Infants or Toddlers at Risk for or with Developmental Delays or disabilities.”
      They want to see if interventions to reduce maternal depressive symptoms and enhancing parenting skills will improve outcomes of best-practice environment; federally required home-based intervention such as what the CDSA provides.
      They believe that mild to moderate depressive symptoms in the mother compromise the mothering of very young children with delays or disabilities because these children are so dependent on parenting for their well-being. The depressed parent may not have the energy or focus to apply daily routine-based developmental support and not seek out specialized community-based services.
      They have found that treatment for depressive symptoms using in-home delivery along with child-focused enrichment and disability services has reduced the stigma associated with mental health services.
      The first week of this training we were asked to say why we are taking this course. I didn’t have a clear idea what specifically I would do with this course then, although I knew it would add to my music therapy skills with the birth-5 population. My work as a music therapist and a Suzuki piano teacher has always included parent education to help generalize positive parenting skills into the daily life of the families. This particular research area I mentioned above is “calling to me!”
      I will keep you posted as this study progresses the next couple of months. The speaker seemed to think there will be continued grant funding for this area of practice through public health.

Laura Montesano

Participant

Meredith,
      Thank you for your encouraging reply! And yes, there most certainly ARE affluent families in Boulder that could be accessed. I’ve also been looking into other programs within the community, and will check out the library as well. I’m excited to have the support of this Sprouting Melodies community, as I feel this is the next step in my career. I am so grateful for this class which has truly been such a great motivator and support as I take these beginning steps in creating something new…and beautiful 🙂

Robin Jacobs

Participant

I don’t know if my intentions were clear in my last post. I intend to develop music therapy/wellness groups using the Sprouting Melodies model and have an additional focus of working with young families with caregivers that might have moderate depression.

Elizabeth Schwartz

Keymaster

What a wealth of creative and interesting ideas! I had the honor this past year (well that word might be make it sound more pleasant than it was 🙂 to write at length about music therapy in early intervention around the world. One thing that struck me was the widely held view in other countries that music therapy in early childhood was not fully about the child, and not fully about the grownup, but about the relationship between the child and the grownup. Our real client is that relationship that needs to be strong in order for the child to have healthy development. Dr. Amelia Oldfield from the United Kingdom has written extensively about this and some of you might want to read her work.
      Many of the mothers I work with have signs or symptoms of depression. The action oriented nature of music making sometimes provides these moms with an opportunity to ‘peer out’ of their inner window for just a few moments. I remember one mother who always came to group with her baseball cap pulled low over her eyes. She could hardly move, but somehow made the effort to make it to group each week. It was during the “Wiggly Jiggly Car” song that her little one began to tip over from side to side and mom almost fell over with him. The child laughed with glee and for just a moment, Mom and child made eye contact laying there on the floor and Mom smiled a genuine smile.

Leigh Giglio

Participant

The community I live in is a military town. Most people that come here are in the Air Force or Army and their stay is usually about 2 years for the Army and 3 years for the Air Force. Since families are always coming and going, there is a a great need/want for these families to get plugged into community to fairly quickly to help build relationships with other families, especially for “family-like” support. Also, there is constantly families with younger children dealing with deployments of at least 6 months up to 1 year. This is a great loss for the young child to deal with, as well as a difficult change for a parent to go from having a helpmate to being a single parent for an extended period fo time. Providing services through the Community Center, the deployed Spouses program with Hearts Apart, the Airman and Family Readiness Center and the Chapel would be beneficial. But, with the Sequestrian, I’m not sure if funding would be possible for these types of programs on base.
      There is a local University that is located in our town that has an early childhood education program. Providing presentations to these classes/professors would help to educate the benefits of a music therapy program in the earaly childhood field.
      There is also two strong MOPS (Mothers of Preschooler) groups that meet on a bi-monthly basis. These are mom’s that are looking for: 1. connection with other mom’s with kids the same age as theirs, and 2. something to do to get them out of the house. Presenting at least once a year, as well as offering a free session or a door prize of a free sign-up would also help to get them educated and interested in signing up for classes to be offered.

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content