Great Success!

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

Elyse Suhay

Participant

Hi everyone! There isn’t particularly a “right” place to post about this, but I really wanted to share with all of you. Do you remember that I mentioned a 5-year-old boy that I work with? He was just recently diagnosed with autism, and he spent the first four months that we worked together generally running around the room and occasionally playing the resonator bells for two minutes at a time. Well! I have changed that (yay!!!). His dad sent me a video of him singing to Five Little Monkeys, and he has also shown in previous sessions that he finds breaking the rules very entertaining. So I brought a microphone and sang Five Little Monkeys at our next session. He wasn’t having it. But then the NEXT week, he sang it with me five times! He would pace around the room while I sang about the monkey falling off and Mom calling the doctor, then he would rush back over the mic and shout “No more monkeys jumping on the bed!” He was actively engaged for the WHOLE 30 MINUTES!!!! I’ll probably regret saying this when he’s 20 and still insists on singing this song, but I plan to ride this wave as long as I can 🙂

Caroline Gillott

Participant

wonderful!

Katie Maurer

Participant

How exciting! Getting those bits of engagement makes it all worth it!

I remember working with a little boy during my internship that had Down Syndrome. He had very poor muscle tone and very rarely sat up straight. We were doing a gathering drum song about popcorn and he ended up sitting up straight on his knees at the gathering drum for almost 10 minutes! It was such an exciting moment.

Cassandra Mulcahy

Participant

Hooray!

Anonymous

Inactive

Thank you for sharing this Elyse! Wonderful news!

Kristina Rio

Participant

That’s great! I’m so happy for you. There is nothing greater than finally feeling like you’ve figured out something that works with such a challenging client!

Kristina Rio

Participant

That’s great! I’m so happy for you. There is nothing greater than finally feeling like you’ve figured out something that works with such a challenging client!

Kate St. John

Participant

Awesome!

Sarah jane Mason

Participant

Thanks for sharing!

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content