Hello all

• This topic has 8 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

Jen Hinton

Participant

Hello all! My name is Jen Hinton. I worked as a Music Therapist in long-term care for the first 11 years of my career. I provided intergenerational groups during that time but felt that the work I connected most with to be serving residents diagnosed with dementia. Music so clearly connected with them and refocused them and I loved the spontaneity and challenges that these groups brought. Since becoming a Mom of a now 2 and 5 year old I have been re-creating myself in many ways…including professionally! The past 2 years I have been providing Music Enrichment services to an early learning center. I serve children ages 12 months-5 years of age. My classes are arranged in chronological order and range in size from 5 participants to 20. I have supportive teachers and aides present. I really enjoy being able to use my MT skills to improvise, compose, and connect with the kids. I am very excited to connect and be able to better ground myself in developmental milestones, especially related to music. I am excited to connect and apply what I learn here in my current position but am also dreaming and thinking about future possibilities! I was recently approached by our local civic center and see other community areas that could benefit from music and wellness for children and families. I live near a Lancaster, PA. I currently am also signed up with a CEU about starting your own business. Flexibility of schedule is key for me and for family as my husband is in school and working FT. Very excited and encouraged to meet all of you other amazing MTs and LOVE that this course is offered to MT-BCs!

Anonymous

Inactive

Hi,

I am the training Moderator. Welcome and thank you for introducing yourself. In the coming weeks please answer forum topic questions in the Topics created by Meredith. It is difficult for everyone and myself to keep track of everyone’s submissions if there are multiple topics. Thank you!

Elizabeth Schwartz

Keymaster

Welcome, Jen. Meredith and I are both mothers of three, so we know well the challenges of ‘having it all’. I look forward to hearing more about your inter-generational work.
      Beth
      PS. As Erika mentioned, please use the created topics for discussions, it makes it easier to keep track as the weeks go by.

Jen Hinton

Participant

Thank you! This is my first time using this sort of tech! ????

Anonymous

Inactive

Hi Jen,

We completely understand about the learning curve with the technology 🙂 I will be sending out a welcome email with a Tech FAQ, however if you have any trouble or difficulties do not hesitate to contact me and I will do my best to assist you within 24 hours.

Jen Hinton

Participant

???? thank you!

Meredith Pizzi

Welcome, Jen! I am so glad that you have found your way to our course. I think you will find that the materials will definitely reinforce your work in the early childhood settings. You will have a much deeper understanding of both the why and the how! Be sure to take the time on the videos and bring the new songs and interventions and even Sprouting Melodies Sayings that we share in the videos into your sessions, and then report back here to all of us how it is going. We just had an open house at our music therapy center, and I was singing and speaking with parents and little one. The mom commented at one point that her little one, a 9 month old, was doing everything I said he would do! It was like I could forecast his musical exploration based on what we know about music and development. It was a good reminder about just how remarkable what we come know is! This mom was amazed that her little guy could do all of these things – and that I knew he would do it! I look forward to seeing you grow in your work throughout this course!

Jen Hinton

Participant

Hi Meredith!

Trying to carve out some regular time to dig into this amazing course! Yes, I am loving the deeper understanding of “why” and “how” that the material is showing me already. The resources being so varied (book, PPT, video, sheet music) is great. I just had an open house at the early learning center that employs me and had a similar comment from a Mom that her son comes home and imitates me and hearing so many of them share that `”the rainstick is made from a cactus” was pretty cool. 🙂 They are catching it. I am excited to throw more their way. Looking forward to learning, growing, and being part of this community!

Anonymous

Inactive

Hi Jen,

So glad to hear you are gaining so much from the training materials and seeing results in your work!

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content