How are you planning on sharing this information with colleagues, administrators and families?

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies Training – June 2016 Week 10 How are you planning on sharing this information with colleagues, administrators and families?

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author

Meredith Pizzi

Keymaster

Rachel Lighty

Participant

I would love colleagues to come to me and ask questions about how to run successful groups and tips for success if they have not taken this course. Having this information will also help when trying to start groups and when talking to administrators to demonstrate the significance and importance of these groups for this specific age group. I can always share the information that I obtained with families during groups and that piece is so important for these groups. I can also talk about these groups when working with families in other situations if they could benefit from attending a group like this.

Alison Albino

Participant

Since I am technically still a student, I definitely want to encourage all of my music therapy friends from school to consider taking this training. The Sprouting Melodies providers is a little community itself! The more Sprouting Melodies grows throughout the country, the more we can connect with one another as providers and learn from each other. I’m also at an age where more and more people I know are looking to grow their families and are looking to provide their children with as many opportunities for promoting development as possible. Just getting out there and spreading the word through social media, word of mouth, marketing materials, and even catching up with an old friend is a great way to inform people about this program.

As a side note, I have noticed whenever I go to an appointment, be it a doctor’s appointment or a haircut, I get asked what I do for a living. That’s another wonderful opportunity to get the word out to new people! You never know who is looking for a service like this!

Anonymous

Inactive

Alison- you are already doing one of the most important things we have to do in our profession, educate on what we are and what we do! I wish you the best as you transition into the professional world.

Jessica Triana

Participant

Being the only music therapist on staff at my current place of work, I often get to receive and answer all questions music therapy related. I am excited to be able to provide richer information given the knowledge I now have after participating in this training. I have already been able to share this information with my colleagues and administrators in a proposal to implement a new early childhood outpatient group at our hospital. I have also begun incorporating this new information into my sessions to educate and empower parents and family members of infants and toddlers. Similarly, I find myself constantly educating our nursing staff while seeing patients at bedside. I am grateful to have more information and a deeper understanding of my work to be able to share with them.

Tracy Schoenberg

Participant

I would love to share this information by word of mouth to administrators and families and also using newsletters and pictures to illustrate what kind of music therapy group this is and what it does. I also would encourage other music therapists in my area to get trained in this training since most music therapists do work with a variety of ages and stages. Child development was my first class I was required to take in music education and it’s just as important in music therapy, especially with the youngest kids and babies. Love that there is interest with other moms I know in my area and look forward to sharing this information to them. Alison is correct in that lots of doctor offices and other businesses can help share what you offer and always seem to have a place for business cards and pamphelets for prospective music therapy groups.

Gwendolyn Van Baalen

Participant

As the only practicing music therapist on staff, I often find it important to build a shared understanding of what music therapy is and how it applies to the population with which we work. The information in this training deepened my knowledge on this topic and also offered me language to use to share this knowledge with colleagues and families.

Elizabeth Ferguson

Participant

I can share the information I have learned when speaking to the music therapists that serve our community for my practice. When they ask my specific questions I feel I have gained more appropriate language to apply to early childhood development with music. I will also make sure to now tell in the moment why I chose to do something instead of waiting until after the class to answer the questions!

RaeAnna Zinniel

Participant

I have already mentioned this training to some of my classmates and this coming school year I hope to tell more. Since I am still a student I am constantly asked what I am majoring in and it is such a great way to advocate for Music Therapy even though it is often explained in the most simplest of ways.

Marchele Gilman

Participant

I am affiliated with a local music school in my area. They hold periodic open houses, which is a great opportunity to share. Our local Chamber of Commerce is another resource. I know of community meetings that I could present at, as well as simply sharing the information with parents through newsletters or in person.

Cassandra Reyna

Participant

I have actually already begun sharing this information with colleagues and administrators! I currently providing string lessons at a chain music school that has infant and toddler curriculum. We were able to have a frank discussion about how their curriculum does focus on learning musical skills, whereas this curriculum focuses on the development of the child. We determined that corporate’s mission is to have children learn musical skills but that my knowledge and experience as a music therapist makes me capable of running these “Mommy and Me” classes.
      I intend to continue studying the material we have learned about developmental milestones in order to “pitch” this information to potential daycares/preschools. I want to be able to show them that I know this information thoroughly and am providing a service beyond entertaining their students.

Flora Whitmore

Participant

I have been (and have continued) to spread the word through speaking to families at my local coffee shop (I work there part time and it’s a great networking tool!) I also have been talking up SM to all my parent friends and been utilizing some of the songs with my newest client’s family and spoken to other clinicians and mental health professionals (my partner is a social work and his colleagues work with young children and their families.) I spend a lot of time at my local library and know many of the librarians well and am hoping to try and pitch the library as another location for classes.

Beth McLaughlin

Participant

Since I retired, many of my colleagues from Wildwood School have asked me to do a music classes with their babies and toddlers. I have arranged to use my classroom at school to provide Sat. classes later this fall. I have also been invited to do a one time music class/performance at a local early childhood center for young children with ASD. As part of this experience, I will be sharing information about SM and invite staff to distribute to their families. I have also been involved with a small group of families from a local support group with whom I will share this information. Finally, within our local music therapy community there are several music therapists working with young children both privately and within their school programs. I plan on talking to them about the SM training and encouraging them to look into it for their own professional development.

Alice Sorensen

Participant

I’m planning on sharing this information with my boss at my parish, and we are hoping to start a Sprouting Melodies program in Brooklyn. He is excited for the opportunity for the parish to serve the community in this need, adn I am excited to help provide it!

Ayelet Weiss

Participant

Depending on where my next step of finding places that can benefit from this program leads me, I will share this information with other parents or the administrators that I come in contact with. I thought the suggestion of contacting libraries and daycares was a great place to start!

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content