How are you planning on sharing this information with colleagues, administrators and families?

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies Training – July 2014 Week 10 How are you planning on sharing this information with colleagues, administrators and families?

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author

Meredith Pizzi

Keymaster

Kerry Cornelius

Participant

Throughout this process, I’ve been sharing materials, songs, video clips and readings with the two music therapists I work with. We hope to schedule a day where I can provide an in-service training for them based on the knowledge I’ve learned, which I have a feeling will encourage them to take the SM training themselves! I plan to generate some handouts regarding current research, topics of interest and community events to distribute to families, as well as to reach out to more community organizations to provide trainings and volunteer at community events. Because we are a new private practice, it is so important to put ourselves out there and build a strong reputation as a go-to provider in Maryland.

Christina Wensveen

Participant

For me, the information about developmental stages and the activities that go with them will be shared with classroom teachers, SLPs and OTs who I work with. In talking to administration or other therapy team professionals using specific examples of why we are doing activities is so beneficial to them understanding the role music can play. The activities from SM are so great because they are created to be in tune with developmental stages.

Katie Romano

Participant

When I first started the Sprouting Melodies training I told my old college professor about it and encouraged her to look into it. I thought that the songs or resources (books) would be a great addition to the developmental music therapy course. The songs would be great to use in the clinic too!

Katherine Sestrick

Participant

My current facility has a music therapist and unfortunately, I am not that person (I fill another role as a Special Instructor). The music therapist at my facility does programmatic music therapy as well as individual sessions. Also unfortunately, the facility and the music therapist just started their own early childhood music program (without my knowledge) that the music therapist is developing herself. I don’t see the music therapist very often, but when I do, I plan to talk to her about SM and let her know how good the training was and that it would be a good program to offer at our facility and that I would be available to lead additional classes if the need arose. I plan to use the information and some of the songs in my existing work as an Early Intervention Special Instructor and to share all of the valuable information about child development and musical development with the families that I currently work with.

Kathryn Costanza

Participant

I plan on sharing this information with every person I know or come into contact with who has young children. For years, I’ve been sharing resources about music therapy and advocating for the profession, but always in the context of therapy and the populations we can potentially work with. Now, the advocacy for music therapy can go much further than that by extending into the community at large. ALL children can benefit from music therapy, and ALL families can benefit from our techniques and skill-set. I plan on creating separate handouts with an overview of what Sprouting Melodies provides for the community for families, what Sprouting Melodies emphasizes in development and therapeutic application of music for other therapy modalities and administrators, and how Sprouting Melodies is an important step forward for the profession of music therapy for other music therapists.

Anonymous

Inactive

Kathryn, since you will be becoming a provider. Meredith and Beth have already done a lot of the leg work in creating handouts with the information you are talking about. Once you are an official provider you will be getting a Provider Manual and Meredith will be talking with you further about the resources and documents that were created for providers to use in their practice.

Katie Bagley

Participant

At Roman Music Therapy, we have Meredith and 3-4 other certified Sprouting Melodies providers who run classes. I feel fortunate to be able to have these colleagues to bounce ideas off of, as well as share provider materials like handouts and informational material. In regards to sharing information with families, I am excited to use the pointers and facts I have learned in this course pertaining to childhood development, addressing them specifically during and after sessions to help educate and include parents. I have already talked to other friends and colleagues in our field, specifically working in early childhood, encouraging them to be a SM provider!

I will be happy share this information with the music therapists in my community as well as some of the other professionals with whom I periodically network. Since there are no SM providers in my area, I would certainly encourage other MTs who work with young children to consider taking the course and becoming a provider in order to incorporate SM into their own companies or the organizations for which they work. Should I find myself in the future working with very young children, I certainly will consider becoming a SM provider.

Jonni Fogerty

Participant

I will be sharing this information with my colleagues. We hold regular inservices and have been doing a sequence on development, in which some of these concepts may be included. We have recently developed a new contract with an early childhood development center. This training has helped to advocate for the benefit of music therapists providing early childhood music programs. The information has also been helpful in explaining to families why their children behave or respond to music in certain ways. It has reminded me to keep in mind the need to explain developmental rationale to families, teachers, and administrators.

Kasey Sollenberger

Participant

Sharing this information with colleagues should be easy! I would certainly reccomend this course to any one of my MT colleagues. If I do decide to become a SM provider, I think that Beth and Meredith have created some information materials that I would be glad to have and distribute.

Nicole Sanabria

Participant

The Sprouting Melodies training has been invaluable to me as a music therapist. It has encouraged me to review my work and understand how I can provide musical interventions with a measureable outcome that are developmentally appropriate for a young child individually and in a group setting. With the training experience from Sprouting Melodies, I feel more confident in my clinical rationale in my personal work. I’m hopeful that CTMTS will be able to begin Spouting Melodies classes soon, where I can share this experience and information with caregivers and children alike.

Nicole Sanabria

Participant

I accidently wrote my response in the wrong post. Anyway, I plan on sharing this information with colleagues by word of mouth. I feel as though every music therapist should have this training if they are providing services for young children. I feel as though it is one way to be on the same page regarding how we as music therapists may reveal possibilities in our clients if we are able to approach the work in similar ways with a similar foundation. Secondly, I plan on sharing this information with my community during various events where I may advocate for the field and for my place of employment by talking with others that share an interest in partaking in classes or receiving music therapy services.

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content