How much stimulation is enough?

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies – January 2022 Week 7 How much stimulation is enough?

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

Erika Svolos

How much stimulation is enough?

How much stimulation is too much?

Aliza Llovet

Participant

This varies so much child to child and even for an individual moment to moment.

This is one of the biggest values of live music where you can check the child’s response and adjust the music to meet their stimulation needs.

Anne Reed

Participant

I think the key is balance. Too much can be harmful as well as too little. With infants and toddlers the music can be used to help them learn self regulation. This can be achieved through the way the session is structured as well as being aware of the energy and engagement level of the children and adjusting accordingly. You can also use the foundation of the familiar to start introducing new songs and concepts, falling back on the familiar for grounding.

Amy Brownell

Participant

The appropriate level of stimulation is going to differ from child to child, as well as change as they age. It is important to look for signs of too much or not enough stimulation. When a child is stimulated too much by music, they may startle, cry, cover their ears, and try to leave the area. A child who is not stimulated enough may be less responsive, and may also try to leave the area while doing something new. The music therapist’s level of energy needs to be responsive to their observations of the children.

Aliza Llovet

Participant

Great child responses to stimulation levels and our job is too manage stimulation and educate parents to these responses as well

Emily Fabian

Participant

Echoing what everyone has stated, too much or too little stimulation is dependent on the child, varies by age, as well as the moment and the activity. Our job as music therapists is to recognize when it’s too much or too little and adjust what we can right then and there.

Jessica Gelineau

Participant

In my practice, as soon as a child starts to show signs of agitation or discomfort (or if a parent tells me they are becoming agitated), I pull back musically. This could mean I play slower, sing softer or remove an instrument from the therapy space. I think it is important to also educate parents that just because the child is playing the drum, it is okay if they play it in a non traditional way. I find a lot of parents use hand over hand methods to try to show children how to play the “correct” way, versus allowing the child to explore the music in their own way.

Erika Svolos

Great insights! As we think about the responses to overstimulation, we want to also consider the neurodivergent responses of dysregulation which may look different then our neurotypical kiddos. These include increased energy and activity level, easily falling over things, increased self-stimulation, difficulty controlling intensity in playing instruments and/or movement around the space, and difficulty taking in and following directions. These are just a few of the many other responses we may see. Each child will also have responses that are specific to them as all children are unique in the way their body responds to too much or too little stimulation.

As you consider stimulation in your work, I also encourage you all think about musical components, song choices,set up of the space, session structure, equipment, and direction to caregivers when we are looking to support stimulation levels.

Hannah Floyd

Participant

It all depends on the child. Some need more, some need less. It is important for us to watch their reactions and cues. We always have to be prepared to be flexible and change if a child is showing signs of agitation or discomfort. Not only that but our own energy can affect a child, not just the music. It’s important to recognize that.

Jessica Gelineau

Participant

Hi Hannah, I love what you said about allowing our music to match a child’s stimulation level, but also our energy and presence that we are bringing into the therapy space!

Amy Brownell

Participant

Everyone’s responses seem to sum up the same idea – balance is the key based on the needs of each child!

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content