How much stimulation is enough?

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies – January 2023 Week 7 How much stimulation is enough?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Julie Palmieri

Participant

How much stimulation is enough?

How much stimulation is too much?

Sean FitzGerald

Participant

I believe that stimulation level is variable from kiddo to kiddo. You will be able to tell when a kiddo is overstimulated by observing their behavior such as crying or trying to get away from the source of stimulation. Some babies will be able to handle more stimulation just due to the fact that they are exposed to more stimulation regularly than others so it really depends. After reading the prompt I thought of when Meredith brought up how hazy the boundary is between SM1 and SM2 because it depends on whether or not the baby can handle the increase in stimulation. All in all, it really depends from person to person so we need to do our best as the clinician to read whether or not there is too much or not enough stimulation and adjust!

Kayla Stubblefield

Participant

I agree with you that is changes kiddo to kiddo!

Angie Snell

Participant

Yes, that assessment in-the-moment is so critical.

Erika (TeamRH)

Keymaster

For anyone wanting to learn more about sensory processing this a link to the Star Institute in Colorado. It was founded by Dr. Lucy Jane Miller (OT). Although their institute focuses on sensory processing disorder, I find their resources to help with recognizing sensory processing in general and how to use music to moderate stimulation to meet all children’s needs in the here-and-now.

https://sensoryhealth.org/basic/star-certification-courses

Jorden Liteplo

Participant

Enough stimulation is when you see a child actively engaged in their class or therapy session. If they are smiling, laughing and making eye contact, or even just sitting calmly then its a good bet that the level of stimulation is appropriate. If they are crying, turning their head away, trying to escape or escalating their behavior then its a good bet its too much. You have to learn how to read the room, and walk it back when its too much because the balance can tip quickly. Some kids or babies might not have the same tolerance as the week prior depending on whether there is stress at home or school, they’ve had less sleep or they have been on holidays, etc.

Kayla Stubblefield

Participant

Agreed! I like that you gave example behaviors we might see.

Kayla Stubblefield

Participant

Determining too much vs not enough stimulation changes child to child. From my experience, I have seen children become very sensory-seeking if they are under stimulated. On the other hand, I have observed children who become upset, crying, cover their ears if they are over stimulated. Balance is key, and remaining observant at all times in order to see if you need to make a change during the session.

Leah Strand

Participant

I agree with other posts that enough stimulation and overstimulation can look different from child to child. It could be obvious disregulation such as crying, moving way from what’s making sound or drawing into themselves. It could also be seen as consistently seeking for that sensory input by actively doing something else or trying everything all at once. When there is enough stimulation you may see the child more clearly engaged, focused, and relaxed in their environment to explore. It’s important to recognize subtle or not so subtle switches in children to minimize too much stimulation or not enough.

Angie Snell

Participant

Our training in assessment is so important in determining when stimulations is enough and when it is too much. Knowing the developmental levels and the developmental framework presented in this course allows both the new and the seasoned professional MTs to make good clinical decisions in the moment. Relevant to the child, enough stimulation is when a child is calm and content; it is when they alert meaningfully to sounds, timbre, rhythm, and predictable song structures and meter; it is when the child is able to share meaningful moments within the music with their parent/caregiver. Over stimulation, again relevant to the child, will include a tense or stiffened body; it is when the child might recoil or turn away, it is when there are tears. A skilled music therapist will look for antecedent indicators and work to proactively manipulate the music elements to decrease the amount and type of stimulation; they will know when to stop and allow the child (and or parent) to take a break; and they will know how to make comments that indicate to the parent and child that the child is not bad for having that response.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content