How much stimulation is enough?

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies – June 2021 Week 7 How much stimulation is enough?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Anonymous

Inactive

How much stimulation is enough? How much stimulation is too much?  Share your thoughts on the forum.

Samantha Springer

Participant

I often find that it is highly dependent on the specific child or person. I find that watching their reaction to the music and then changing the music accordingly is the most appropriate way to monitor the amount of stimulation the person is feeling in my music therapy sessions. I find it extremely important to watch for overstimulation (crying, closing eyes, moving away from group/space, etc.) or under-stimulation (falling asleep, finding other activities to do in the room, etc). These can both look similar, but knowing the child/person can assist you with determining the right amount of stimulation for that moment.

It’s always important to watch your timber of voice and energy level as these aspects can greatly influence stimulation. I wouldn’t recommend a high energy session for a child 0-9 months as this can lead to overstimulation. Being attuned to the individual you’re working with and changing certain aspects accordingly is the most important part of stimulation.

Erika Svolos

Thank you for your thoughtful response 🙂

I have found that the amount of stimulation is person specific. I have clients who have low arousal levels and others who are very easily overstimulated. It our job as therapists to be able to observe our clients signals such as lethargy, eye blinking, suckling, head banging, escape behaviors, etc. to provide the correct level and types and of stimulation they need to be the most successful. This includes the timbre of your voice, how fast your slow your movements are, the timbre of instruments, volume of voice and instruments, florescent lighting, traffic sounds, ceiling fan noises… I always say every behavior is communication especially when working with individuals who are unable to voice their wants and needs. Music is a wonderful medium to meet all sensory needs including auditory, visual, tactile, and proprioceptive. We must identify all of the sensory input that a client is receiving to fully adapt the environment to meet their needs in the moment.

Erika Svolos

Hi Debbie, wonderful insights! Thank you!

Maria Ramey

Participant

It is so important to watch for signs of overstimulation because we do not want music to do harm! Every person is different, not only in general, but day-to-day, in how much is too much. If a child is crying, covering their ears, hiding under a caregiver, etc. then it has already become too much. Also, children can really pick up on emotions you are feeling based on your vocal timbre, affect, and speed of movement/speech/sounds. So controlling these things is crucial to avoid overstimulating the child.

Favor Chujor

Participant

It definitely depends on the child. We know, as music therapists, that the same song can be adapted for various populations, and the same goes for the level of stimulation. What is just enough for one child can be too much for another. On the other hand, overstimulation can also present differently in each child, so it’s important for us, as facilitators, to be especially intentional with the musical experiences we provide.

Amy Berggren

Participant

I have often felt over-stimulation and under-stimulation are very child specific so it’s important to watch for signs of both in each child. One of the great things about music is that it is able to be adapted to best support the needs of the children in the room; for example, changing dynamics, tempos, and instruments.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content