Introduce Yourself To The Group

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies Training – January 2014 Week 1 Introduce Yourself To The Group

Viewing 28 reply threads
  • Author

Meredith Pizzi

Keymaster

Tell us about your professional experiences and what motivated you to take this course. Be sure to include where you live, if you are already doing work in early childhood and how you would like to make this information part of your practice.

Elizabeth Schwartz

Keymaster

Elizabeth Schwartz

Welcome! We are so excited to begin this journey into early childhood music and early childhood music therapy with you. My name is Elizabeth Schwartz, but most people call me Beth. For the past 25 years I have worked with very young children through Alternatives for Children on Long Island, New York. We provide comprehensive services for children with special needs, children at risk, families, early intervention and typical children. I also teach music therapy at Molloy College which is here on Long Island. Meredith and I founded Raising Harmony early in 2012 because we were so passionate about sharing our work with young children and families. I am lucky enough to have been able to put many of my ideas and music down on paper and in cyberspace. Please take a look at the blog I write for Raising Harmony when you get a moment.

I am also the mother of three grown children, and so have lots of personal knowledge of the ups and downs, joys and challenges of young kids.

I look forward to getting to know all of you.

Beth

Meredith Pizzi

Hi Everybody! I’m thrilled to be on this online course with all of you! I am Meredith Pizzi, proud to be a Board Certified Music Therapist and excited to see so many other wonderful music therapists interested in learning about early childhood music therapy and Sprouting Melodies. Here we are about to embark on a 10 week journey together and I know we are all going to learn a lot!

I am a graduate of Duquesne University’s Music Therapy Program and I had the joy and honor of working with Beth Schwartz as my internship supervisor. I learned so much from her in my internship and really developed a love for working in early childhood. After my internship, I had a very successful private practice on Long Island, NY before moving to Boston in 2006. Once settled into Boston, I founded Roman Music Therapy Services, and in 2009 Sprouting Melodies was born! Since 2009, we have seen our revenues at Roman Music Therapy Services skyrocket, more than tripling in 3 years and a lot of that has to do with the growth of Sprouting Melodies and how well it has been received in our community. What brings me here is the desire to share with others what I have learned about early childhood and music making. And with all of the effort that has gone into growing Sprouting Melodies, I want to give other music therapists the opportunity to now make it part of their practices. I’ve learned so much, and the branding and program development is done! I just want to get it out there to music therapists and families all around the country! So what brings you here??

Kate St. John

Participant

Hi Meredith! I met you in a group setting at the business meeting at conference in November and was so glad to chat with you a bit over phone and email about Sprouting Melodies! I am excited to learn more from you and Beth about it as well as getting to know everyone else and learning from their experience and wisdom!

Dany Orozco

Participant

Hi!
      I’m Dany Orozco, I just graduated from Berklee College of Music in Boston, got certified and moved back to my hometown Guadalajara, Mexico. I’m opening a company here called Interludio, its purpose is to promote music therapy in Mexico and open a couple of programs in different hospitals. I figured it would be easier for them to start with one day a week of MT so they see the benefits, and it’s better for me because I can work in different hospitals before hiring other music therapists as needed.
      That was my main idea when coming back home, but I started being interested in early childhood when my cousin asked me to do music therapy at her C section. I want to open a program that supports the mothers before the child is born, and I want to take this course so I can also have a program that continues to support the child as they start to grow.
      I’m excited to take this course! I don’t know how to put my picture up there like Meredith and Beth, but I guess you can imagine a Mexican girl and you’ll be good.

Kate St. John

Participant

Wow Dany, what a cool and unique thing you have going on there in Mexico!

Caroline Gillott

Participant

Hi I am Caroline Gillott. I graduated from Mansfield University, Pennsylvania and completed my internship at Finger Lakes Developmental Disabilities Service Office with Donna Polen. I’ve been a professional in the field of music therapy for almost 7 years. I live in Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania with my husband, 14 month old daughter and another daughter on the way. I currently work in Harrisburg for a small agency that provides music therapy to primarily (but not limited to) children on the autism spectrum. However, since becoming more recognized in the PA Early Intervention program, we have received more referrals for our young ones with developmental delays/global delays. I have many reasons for taking this course but here are the top four:
      1. I had the honor of taking one of Beth’s CMTE courses at a national conference (Beyond The Bus) several years ago. Since then, I’ve been a repeat audience member to her other presentations. I felt like I finally met someone who says what I feel and believes what I believe when it comes to music therapy, childhood, development and play. For that reason I knew I needed to continue to “follow” her and her endeavors around. So when i found out about this course and she was a part of it I enrolled before even knowing what I was getting in to. Meredith–I am not as familiar with you, but definitely look forward to getting to know you!
      2. I am looking to market myself and my services. I needed something to jump start me and motivate me.
      3. I am a mother of 1 and soon to be 2 so I needed something with a lot of flexibility
      4. I’m going to be brutally honest–my passion as a music therapist is with adults with ID and if funding was available I’d be right there working with them. However, since having a child a new interest in early childhood development is emerging. I want to learn more!

Katie Maurer

Participant

My name is Katie Maurer and I live in Evansville, Indiana. I graduated from the University of Evansville and did my internship at Fraser School in Minneapolis with Kay Leudtke-Smith. When I finished my internship a little over 5 years ago, I moved back home for family reasons. A lack of MT jobs in Evansville combined with needing insurance, I took an office job where I still work full time. I’m working on getting back into the field and taking this course is a part of that.

Early childhood has always been my preferred population. I started my first job in a preschool/daycare when I was only 13 years old and when it came time to apply for internships, I was so convinced that early childhood was for me that I only applied at Fraser School.

Like I said, I’m working on getting back into the field. I have a single geriatric client, and am hopeful that this training will allow me to start some early childhood groups of my own.

I’m looking forward to the rest of the training.

Anonymous

Inactive

Hello everyone. My name is Erika Svolos. I am the online moderator for this training. I live in New Jersey with my husband, my 3- month old daughter, and four cats. It is a joy to be apart of this fantastic program and to join in your Sprouting Melodies journey. I am a graduate of Marywood University and have been a music therapist in New Jersey for the past 14 years. Over that time I have worked in a variety of settings including in-patient child/adolescent psychiatry, a private clinic for autism, a large urban public school, private practice, and a private special education high school for individual’s with emotional and behavioral disorders. I recently started my own business/private practice; Music Therapy Services of New Jersey, LLC. I completed the April 2013 Sprouting Melodies training and I am very excited to add Sprouting Melodies to my practice. I am offering my first demonstration class on January 18 and will be offering my first 8 week session starting February 1.

I will be assisting with any questions and/or technical difficulties and can be reached via email at erika.svolos@gmail.com.

Kristina Rio

Participant

Hello everyone! My name is Kristina Barbo. I graduated from Anna Maria College, and I currently work at Roman Music Therapy Services(RMTS) with Meredith Pizzi as a music therapist, Sprouting Melodies Provider, and practicum student supervisor. I have been a Sprouting Melodies Provider for a year and a half. I participated in the live training in NY with Beth and Meredith in June of 2012, and completed the online training in November of 2012 after I became a board certified music therapist. My online training experience was unique as I had already started to lead SM groups of my own, which was very helpful as a refresher, and gave me the opportunity to absorb the information in a more applicable way. I will be present during this entire online training course as a moderator like Erika Svolos to be another resource for you throughout your experience. I am here to respond to any questions you may have and offer my support as best I can, so please feel free to contact me here on the forum! You can also feel free to email me with any specific questions you may have at kristina@romanmusictherapy.com.

Elyse Suhay

Participant

Hi everyone! I’m Elyse Suhay, and I am a new professional. I finished my internship in June, got married in August, and began working for Central Ohio Music Therapy in late September. My company contracts to many facilities in Ohio, and my biggest contract is with a school for students with special needs. I absolutely LOVE working with the pre-schoolers, so my boss signed me up for Sprouting Melodies so that I can start doing more groups with the little kiddos. We are hoping to start several Sprouting Melodies groups in the surrounding area, and have already scheduled 2 monthly groups in a small town nearby! In March after I finish the training, of course. My internship was also at a specialized school, but I mainly worked with middle school-aged students, so I am looking forward to learning about how to design activities for younger children.

Meredith Pizzi

Welcome Dany, Katie, Caroline and Elyse! So glad to have you all on board for this training!

Kate St. John

Participant

Hi I’m Kate St. John and I have owned a private practice for children with special needs for 12 years. I received my B.M. in Music Therapy in 2002 from Chapman University in California where I am originally from, attended the Neurologic Music Therapy (NMT) training in 2003, received my M.M. in Music Therapy with an emphasis in NMT in 2012 from Colorado State Univeristy, and received a Graduate Certificate in Behavioral Intervention in Autism in 2011 from University of Massachusetts Lowell. This program included five graduate level courses in Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) and autism. The program leads toward board certification as a Board Certified Behavior Analyst (BCBA) following the required 1500 clinical hours. I have completed my hours and now I just need to find the time to study and take the exam!
      I am the Founder and Executive Director of NeuroRhythm Music Therapy Services in Colorado Springs, CO. NeuroRhythm provides exceptional music therapy services for children and adults with developmental and neurological challenges. We are a research-based behavioral music therapy company, and the only company that integrates the scientific fields of Neurologic Music Therapy (NMT) with Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA). We have extensive education, clinical training and certificates in NMT and ABA and, to my knowledge, we are the only company in the country that integrates these two fields this extensively and thoroughly for each of our clients. One day I would love to publish and offer CMTE’s on ABA in music therapy.
      I love early childhood but Colorado stopped recognizing the MT-BC credential for early intervention funding a few years ago (I have no idea why!) so we can no longer work in early intervention through any funding source. Because of that, I have not been able to work with anyone under age 5 or so for the last few years and I miss the young ones!
      I have also always been interested in Kindermusik but timing and funding never worked out. I just found out about Sprouting Melodies at conference in November and it looked like it would be so much better than Kindermusik because of the MT-BC requirement and the research. Becoming a Sprouting Melodies provider will enable me to learn even more about early childhood development, bring in the young ones, provide a needed service in the community, diversify and increase income, and assist in marketing and spreading the word about both Sprouting Melodies and my company. I’m excited to learn more and to be able to offer this related service in my practice!

Anonymous

Inactive

Welcome Caroline, Elyse, Dany, Katie, and Kate!

@Kate….In NJ they, also, do not recognize our MT-BC for early intervention. I understand your frustration! I am just starting to use Sprouting Melodies in my practice and it is going to be a great addition! Glad you are hear. You have quite the education. Very interesting your combining NMT and ABA. Look forward to hearing more about your work!

Erika

Anonymous

Inactive

*here…not hear

Meredith Pizzi

Hi Kate! Nice to see you online!

Kristina Rio

Participant

It is so great to hear from everyone and learn a little bit about everyone’s backgrounds. @Kate. I am especially interested in implementing ABA strategies into my music therapy sessions. The CMTE course would be fabulous!!!

In this training, you will learn a lot about how SM is unique from other early childhood music programs. I’m so glad all of you have decided to become Sprouting Melodies Providers. We really provide a great service for families and their little ones that is true to who we are as clinicians, even if we are not doing clinical music therapy. We have such a special skill set, and that’s what makes us so special and qualified! The parents in my classes truly appreciate what we have to offer and have given such great feedback on our program. I urge you to check out the testimonials page on the SM website! http://sproutingmelodies.com/testimonials/

Sarah jane Mason

Participant

Hello everyone! My name is Sarah jane Mason and I recently moved to Williamsville, NY (outside Buffalo) from Anchorage, Alaska. I have run a part-time sole proprietorship called Music with Sarah jane since 2008, focusing on music therapy services, voice and piano lessons, early childhood music groups, drum circle facilitation and adaptive lessons. Due to a conflict with another business in Western NY called “Music with Mar”, I am currently changing my business name (and all that that entails!) to Life Rhythm Music Therapy. I feel that is important to distinguish my services as a MT-BC. I earned my B.A. Music Therapy from California State University Northridge, completed my internship at New Avenues to Independence in Cleveland, Ohio, and most of my work has been with clients experiencing various disabilities including individuals on the Autism Spectrum and other developmental, intellectual, and physical disabilities.

My favorite population and what I am most passionate about is the littles! I have created evidence based and goal-directed early childhood music groups for preschools with some songs I’ve written and some I’ve borrowed. I also provide 1:1 general music for littles with the same evidence based experiences and interventions. In order to make my dream of being a full time MT come true, I feel as though Sprouting Melodies and a preschool piano program called WunderKeys have become an important part of my business plan. While MT sessions and music lessons have the potential to fill my afternoon and evenings, the other two programs can help fill my work schedule during the day. I also am really drawn to the already established marketing opportunities and organization on that level. Sometimes I struggle with the business side of being a MT with a private practice, but I also am proud of how far I’ve come on that end too.

It’s a pleasure to meet yall!

Anonymous

Inactive

Welcome Sarah!

Elizabeth Schwartz

Keymaster

Welcome once again to all. What a diverse group with so much to share with each other. One of the other hats that I have worn over the years is a the Government Relations Chair for my region. I have had the wonderful opportunity to advocate for music therapy both here in New York and in Washington. I would love to explore more the opposition to music therapy in early intervention in your state that several of you mentioned.
      Last year we were able to get the Sprouting Melodies Training recognized through the Illinois Early Intervention Training Program.

Sarah jane Mason

Participant

Hi Beth!
      What is the current recognition for MT in early intervention in the State of NY? Any recognition for Sprouting Melodies yet?

Meredith Pizzi

Welcome to everyone! It’s great to have you all on board! We kept this group very small intentionally, so please make an effort to check in on the boards, say hello and comment on the discussion. We promise, the more you put into this course, the more you will get out of it!

Elizabeth Schwartz

Keymaster

Thanks for the question on MT and EI in New York State. Although we have Federal clarification that MT can be an approved service under EI (IDEA Part C) this information has not filtered down to most of the funding agencies. It often becomes a case by case decision. I can send you the supporting documentation or you can find it at http://www.musictherapy.org.
      New York has a very active state recognition Task Force. You can find information on what is happening in New York by going to http://www.mar-amta.org and clicking on the state link.

Jennifer DeBedout

Participant

Hi all! I know I’m joining a little late here but in catching up I wanted to participate in the weekly forum topics.

My name is Jen DeBedout and I live in Burlington, VT. I got my undergraduate degree in Music Education from Westminster Choir College in Princeton, NH and my masters in Music Therapy from Florida State University. I’ve been board certified as a music therapist for about twenty years now. After my internship in Leon County Schools, Talahassee, FL, I worked as a full time music therapist for several years in the Fulton County Schools District in Atlanta, GA.

After my husband’s job required our move to Vermont I took some time off from the music therapy profession to become mom to my daughter and son. I started a private practice called Music Blooms Music Therapy when I moved north but I mostly did consulting and presenting for the first several years of my practice. About four years ago, I started taking contracts with local school systems serving individual students as part of interdisciplinary team addressing IEP goals and objectives. Currently I provide music therapy services students in three area school systems and clients through The Howard Center, a local large human service agency. I’m also employed by the Franklin County Home and Health Agency as part of their expressive arts team providing music therapy services to children in the Pediatric Palliative Care program.

Two years ago, I was approached by two local Parks and Recreation departments and asked to do 6 week music series through their program year for children 0-5. As Meredith and Beth mentioned in the introduction to this class, these groups are not considered music therapy but the directors setting up the classes have asked that I talk about music in relation to early childhood development. These classes are really fun and I love making music with the little kiddos and their families. I love the idea of gathering new ideas for these groups and learning/reviewing information that I can share with the kiddo “grown ups” related to development and growth. I am also considering opening a music therapy office/clinic that could host groups and I would love to offer groups for young children in any potential music therapy space. One thought I’m having is to offer groups specifically designed for little ones with different abilities and their families.

I look forward to catching up on the material and learning more about the Sprouting Melodies program! Not to sound like an old lady but I have to say that when I did my internship a little over 20 years ago…we used records, we got song ideas from books in the library and conferences were often the only time to learn from others in the profession. It is amazing to me how new technology is now providing amazing resources to our profession! I’m floored by what can be accessed now and I think it is incredible! I’m also grateful for the opportunities being in Vermont. We have a very small (but mighty) group of music therapists here. It is great to be able to connect and learn from music therapists around the country in this (and other) format(s). Thank you Meredith, Beth and your great staff for making this course possible.

Anonymous

Inactive

Welcome Jen. Glad to have you with us!

Nancy Bair

Participant

Hello everyone-
      I’m starting this course a bit later than the rest of you, but will be catching up to you within the next week.

My name is Nancy Bair. I live in Camas, WA (just across the river from Portland, OR) in the beautiful (but soggy) Pacific NW! I have been an MT-BC for about 12 years, working with several populations, mainly two groups, (1) stroke patients and elders, and (2) children with ASD/DD. I also teach violin, orchestra and string ensemble coaching. I LOVE to teach and have taught middle school orchestra for 8 years in addition to my music therapy practice.
      My experience with early childhood education has been immense, as I am not a mother of four and have been in charge of the children at my church for several years. I currently have a 9 year old, 7 year old and 21 month old twins!

Several years ago when my oldest two were about 1 and 3, I investigated the KinderMusik Program and became a Kindermusik teacher. I taught for about 2 years, but I didn’t enjoy the program. It was so rigid and I couldn’t use my music therapy training to cater to the children’s needs, I had to stick with their program. It was hard for me to follow the program when I could see that what I was supposed to teach next wasn’t going to work that day or with that child.

Fast forward to the past few years where I have taken a break from MT to raise my kids (have the twins..haha-don’t ever think we’ll have just one more…!). I’ve been working with a family off and one through my pregnancy and just recently again. Their son has ASD and GDD. He is the most amazing little boy and the family is so very receptive to music. My experience with him has opened my eyes to such a potential with other children like him. I have received so many referrals from other families wanting to know how they can find someone like me for their children. One parent even asked me if I would consider doing a group session. it was then that I knew I needed to rethink thei early childhood music therapy connection and I remembered hearing about the program at past conferences and knew I had to be a part of it.

What I hope to get out of this program is to understand better then connection between MT and childhood development, and to possibly start my own program in my community.

Anonymous

Inactive

Welcome Nancy! It is great to have you with us!

Sarah jane Mason

Participant

Thanks, Beth! I attended the NY State Task Force session in JAX and got a lot of information there. They were more focused on the LCAT vs. non primarily, and didn’t really touch much on EI. I will check out the websites you suggested, and report back how my efforts go.

Cassandra Mulcahy

Participant

Hello! My name is Cassandra, and I am super excited to jump onboard to this training.
      I graduated from Berklee College of Music in 2006. During my at Temple for my MMT (’11) I took a class with Beth to broaden my understanding of developmental music theory with some of my clients with developmental delays. I enjoyed it very much, but am excited to studying this at a deeper level after I have had a few years of experience.

I currently reside in Danbury Connecticut, and work for Connecticut Music Therapy Services. I have had more than a few early childhood group/individual sessions. I never saw myself enjoying work with this population, but it is quite rewarding to watch their growth. On a note of self disclosure: babies used to terrify me. I had NO idea how to interact with them, and their fragility was a little overwhelming. One day, my boss had an opening for a library group with babies and parents, and my schedule needed some plumping. How scary! I expected a room full of red-faced screaming ‘lil tots! In no time at all my intuition kicked in and I had a room full of coo-ing, bouncing, jolly little music makers. My group was surprisingly successful, and although the library could not support the ongoing funding, I now have a ‘following’ in a particular town. The mothers have been hounding my boss, and she decided to sign me up for this group so we can (hopefully) run groups in the future with the sprouting melodies brand.

On another note- how cute is the name ‘sprouting melodies’?! I am so excited to dig into this training and further inform my work. Now hopefully I can catch up!

Anonymous

Inactive

Welcome Cassandra!

Elizabeth Schwartz

Keymaster

Nice to meet you again, Cassandra. I remember that Temple course fondly. An exhausting but fun three days!

Viewing 28 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content