Introduction

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Hi! I posted this in reply to Meredith’s original post but then saw that everyone else created a new post. So.. here’s mine in a new post. 🙂 I’m Kim Rodgers-Melnick, music therapist in Cleveland, Ohio. I have been a music therapist for a little over 3 years and have spent that time working in Iowa and Ohio with a variety of populations including long-term care, adult medical and typically developing children aged 3-5 in head start programs. I recently started a private practice, Create Music, LLC (www.createmusicllc.com) ???? and became a Music Together teacher in October 2016. I currently teach 3 Music Together family classes, 1 general music and movement class for 3-5 year olds at Life Time Fitness, teach private piano lessons and work with 3-5 year olds in head start programs at a program called ‘Toddler Rock’ that is led by music therapists and hosted by the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I’ve really enjoyed my work thus far with Music Together and after dialoguing with our colleague Carol Ann Blank, recently applied for the Music Together Within Therapy license to be able to use their materials in a clinical setting with individuals and small groups of children 0-5 and their families. As I’ve started my private practice I am realizing that I really enjoy working with children and am also working with another of our colleagues, Rachelle Norman in her ‘Rock that Contract’ program to hopefully begin a contract at a daycare or pre-school working with young children.

I was motivated to take this training because I was the winner of the training at AMTA National Conference in Sandusky! I had also considered the training at the time I considered Music Together training and chose Music Together at the time because of an immediate opportunity for teaching classes that was made available to me and a need for income as I started my private practice. That said, I have come to really like Music Together and am looking forward to the opportunities that the Within Therapy license will provide.

I am hoping to begin using the Music Together Within Therapy materials to lead a few small groups starting in the fall and so I am really looking forward to the knowledge that this training will provide/refresh for me related to early childhood and development, parent education and classroom management. I also purchased the You and Me Makes We song book at conference and have successfully implemented some of the songs with my groups at Toddler Rock and Life Time Fitness (used Like a Lion Like a Lamb for introducing Letter L last week ???? ) I have really enjoyed all discussions I have had with Meredith and Beth and any materials that they have written and feel so fortunate to have received this training! I can’t wait to dive in!!! ????

Jen Hinton

Participant

Kim, I just checked out your website and FB page. Looks great! Especially your awesome pictures. It is inspiring me!! ???? I am interested to hear your input about Rock that Contract. I work at a daycare but it came to me by way of referral. The funding is through the Parent Board. They specifically were looking for a MT or a Music educator! Kudos to them, right?! The parent education focus in this material is also really exciting to me. It’s awesome that you won this training! Looking forward to the journey together! Jen

Anonymous

Inactive

Hi,

I am the training Moderator. Welcome and thank you for introducing yourself. In the coming weeks please answer forum topic questions in the Topics created by Meredith. It is difficult for everyone and myself to keep track of everyone’s submissions if there are multiple topics. Thank you!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content