Introduction

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Leigh Giglio

Participant

It has been really great getting to know everyone a little bit through the introductions! My name is Leigh Giglio and I’m from Dalzell, SC. I have been a board certified music therapist for the last 12 years working primarily with older adults, especially older adults diagnosed with Alzherimer’s Disease and/or Dementia,. as well as intergenerational music therapy porgramming. I earned a Bachelor’s degree from Marywood Univeristy in Scranton, PA and an advanced Master’s degree and a Gerontology Certificate from The University of Kansas in Lawrence, KS. I have spent the last four years being a stay-at home Mom to my two children ages 3 and 4.5. For the last two years I have worked several hours a week at my children’s preschool as the preschools music teacher working with children ages 2 through Kindergarten. I also am very involved in my churches Children’s Ministry program where I help lead the preschool children’s Worship and Bible Story time, as well as incorporate music into other aspects of the program or events.
      I am interested in taking this course for several reasons: 1. I see a growing need for early childhood music programming in my town that helps famileis connect to other famlies. The town I live in is a military town, so there is always new families with young children that are relocating here and looking for ways to get involved and plugged into the community to meet other families. Other than the preschool programs, there are not any other music programs available for young children in our local area. 2. With having two young children and being the single main caretaker of both, I need a program that can be flexible with the time I am available. 3. I love that this is a program that is music therapy based and is only offered by music therapists! 4. I really need CMTE’s and this will give me a good chunk of credits while expanding my knowledge in an area that I am already practicing in. Also, I love that the course is offered online and I can participate in “class” when I have some “me” time and my kids are asleep!

I am looking froward to getting to know you better through this 10 week study!

Blessings,
      Leigh

Elizabeth Schwartz

Keymaster

My husband is retired Air Force, and so I resonate with the unique challenges of military families. Sprouting Melodies and other early childhood music programs can be a source of friendship and support for young parents who are cut off from extended families and their home community. It will be great to explore how we can reach out to these moms and dads across the country.

Alyssa Kereki

Participant

Thank you for sharing so much about yourself and your journey! This is my first experience with an online class, and I was concerned about trying to connect with other music therapists without being face to face. Your introduction was so personal that I feel much more comfortable sharing my own.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content