Introductions

• This topic has 24 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 24 reply threads
  • Author

Meredith Pizzi

Keymaster

Introduce yourself to the group. Tell us about your professional experiences and what motivated you to take this course. Be sure to include where you live, if you are already doing work in early childhood and how you would like to make this information part of your practice.

Nicole Drozd

Participant

Good Evening! My name is Nicole Drozd and I am a relatively new private practice owner (est. July 2015). My practice is called Heart Song Music Therapy and I am located in Norfolk, VA. I have both my bachelors and masters in music therapy and my primary passion is working within the military (e.g. veterans, active duty,and military families). A lot of my experience and (comfort) has been primarily adults. Yes I have experience with children in a variety of settings and have enjoyed it, but it has never been a focus of mine. Since I started my work in Norfolk, I am getting a lot of referrals for kids with autism, SPD, and other development disorders as well as parents asking me if there is a music-social group that they can take their kids to. So part of me is taking this course as radical acceptance that I will be working with kids for awhile and that I need to brush up on child development literature and working babies and toddlers….But also, I live in a military community where bonding between parent and child can be difficult- especially when a parent is deployed for 6 months or more or a parent comes home not quite the same after a deployment. There is a HUGE need here for something like this in my community. I love that this is a community/wellness-based model and I love that the parents are just as involved with it as the children. I am excited for the next 9 weeks with everyone.

Julia Park

Participant

Nicole,

This is great! I love your integrative approach by working with not only the military clients but also with their families. I look forward to hear more about your stories.

-Julia

Anonymous

Inactive

Hello everyone. My name is Erika Svolos. I am one of the online moderators for this training. I live in New Jersey with my husband, my 2.5 year-old daughter, and our four cats. It is a joy to be apart of this fantastic program and to join in your Sprouting Melodies journey. I am a graduate of Marywood University and have been a music therapist in New Jersey for the past 16.5 years. Over that time I have worked in a variety of settings including in-patient child/adolescent psychiatry, a private clinic for autism, a large urban public school, private practice, and a private special education high school for individual’s with emotional and behavioral disorders. In August 2013 I started my own business/private practice; Music Therapy Services of New Jersey, LLC. I completed the April 2013 Sprouting Melodies online training and it is a wonderful addition to my practice. I began offering Sprouting Melodies classes in February of 2014 and I am truly enjoying working with my SM families.

I will be assisting with any questions and/or technical difficulties. I will be sending you an email with information about the online forum technology and my contact information. If you do not receive the email, please contact me at erika.svolos@gmail.com.

I am looking forward to getting to know each of you over the next ten weeks!

HOUSEKEEPING
      The forum takes some getting use to, but be sure to post your submissions in the categories created by Meredith. If you create new categories, others may miss your submissions.

This training is most effective when the participants read each others submissions and interact on the forum. Please be sure to check back, frequently to see what others have posted.

Check your emails from a message from me regarding the training.

Thank you,

Erika

Alexis Ramagnano

Participant

Hello! My name is Alexis Ramagnano. I live in Ardmore, PA and have been working as the Music Therapist at a residential nursing facility, in Philadelphia. The population consists of adults in wheel chairs living with MS,CP, SCI, TBI, etc. I have been working with this population for eight years now. Unfortunately, our roles are changing and new responsibilities are taking me further away from being able to provide the quality music therapy services I have offered in the past.
      I am also a mother of a 5 year old and a soon to be 3 year old. My interest in working with children has grown since being a mother and witnessing the music programs that are being offered at my children’s daycare. I want to be able to provide enriching music experiences for the children/families in my community and need a solid refresher course to help me find the courage to break free from my comfort zone and follow my instincts to pursue working independently.
      I find it very uplifting to hear from MT-BCs that have been successful in establishing community based programming! I hope this course will give me the tools, support, and the push I need to help me get started on this new journey.

Kristina Rio

Participant

Hi Everyone! My name is Kristina Rio and I am one of the online moderators for this course. I live in Reading MA. I graduated from Anna Maria College, and I currently work at Roman Music Therapy Services(RMTS) with Meredith Pizzi as a music therapist, Sprouting Melodies Coordinator, Sprouting Melodies Provider, and practicum/internship supervisor. I work with a diverse clientele from birth to end of life in various populations. I have been a Sprouting Melodies Provider for three and a half years. I participated in the live training in NY with Beth and Meredith in June of 2012, and completed the online training in November of 2012 after I became a board certified music therapist. My online training experience was unique as I had already started to lead SM groups of my own, which was very helpful as a refresher, and gave me the opportunity to absorb the information in a more applicable way. I will be present during this entire online training course to be a resource for you throughout your experience. I am here to respond to any questions you may have and offer my support as best I can, so please feel free to contact me here on the forum! You can also contact me by email with any specific questions you may have at kristina@romanmusictherapy.com. I look forward to getting to know all of you over the next several weeks!​

Shelly Peterson

Participant

Hi everyone! I am Shelly Peterson and I have a private practice, Kids in Harmony, in Des Moines, IA. I have loved working with children since I was a child myself and have provided early childhood music classes as an MT-BC for 15 years now in daycare and parent participation type (studio) settings. I am taking this course in order to gain a new perspective, learn and refresh information about child development/music and apply it more thoroughly to my classes. I am hoping to become more creative by writing more original songs and want to inspire and empower parents and teachers to use music more throughout their day. I am continually impressed by Meredith and Elizabeth’s resources and presentations that I just had to jump in!
      I too see the need for such a program to promote bonding with military families as we have a base close by.

Daniel Henry

Participant

Hello All!
      My name is Adam Henry and I’m a MT-BC in Boston, MA. I graduated from Berklee College of Music in 2014 and currently work for Roman Music Therapy Services. Most of my professional experience is in working with the geriatric population,specifically those with dementia and Alzheimer’s disease. I currently work with a variety of populations and personally love working with children. I’m taking this course in order to expand my knowledge and gain the tools and resources to help children reach their full potential. I love how music allows us to connect with children and I’m excited to do more of that.

Elizabeth Carras

Participant

Hello! My name is Liz Carras, and I work for a private practice called Arts for All based in Mansfield, PA. I primarily provide IEP-based music therapy services through public school districts in the area, but Arts for All also offers early childhood music classes in the community.
      We have our own curriculum for these early childhood music classes, developed by my boss, Julie. She was at one point a certified Kindermusic instructor, but made the decision to drop the trademark to make classes more affordable to our clients in this rural area. I have experience doing music therapy with young ones through my internship at UPMC Children’s Hospital in Pittsburgh, but I am really looking forward to this Sprouting Melodies training because I want to learn more about child development specifically as it relates to music therapy and group music classes. I’m hoping that this course can help me become a better provider for these community based services!

Elizabeth Schwartz

Keymaster

Welcome, all! I am always eager to log into the Forum on Week One and get to know everyone. The talent, passion and diverse expertise of our course participants is so impressive. Thank you for joining us.
      You will get to spend time with the ‘virtual’ me in the next ten weeks, but here is a little more about the ‘everyday’ me. I still work clinically throughout most of the work week with children birth through age 5 at a wonderful facility on Long Island, New York called Alternatives for Children. Each week I also have the pleasure of teaching music therapy as an adjunct faculty member of Molloy College.
      I’m glad to see those of you here with connection to the military. My husband in retired from the Air Force Reserves and I remember clearly being a young mother holding things together at home while my husband was deployed overseas. Our children now are grown and successfully out on their own, so I feel as if I have been through all the stages of development right up into adulthood.
      As you move through the training, you will have amazing support for Erika and Kristina, but Meredith and I will be popping in and out. Please feel free,though, to email me directly at Elizabeth@RaisingHarmony.com with any questions or comments. Enjoy!

Julia Park

Participant

Hello, it looks like mine was posted on a separate tagline so just in case, I am posting this again. Please see below. Thank you.

I am very excited to begin this journey with everyone. My name is Julia Park from the rocket city, Huntsville, Alabama and I recently had a baby girl named Amelia. She is the reason why I decided to do sprouting melodies so that I could have my daughter in my program. I am so happy to even think about my daughter in my class where she can see me as a professional who is teaching her, her tiny friends and their families how to have fun and learn in fun, engaging and supportive ways.

Before I got married and had my first child, l worked mainly with children with autism spectrum disorder(ASD) and social communication disorder (SCD). I started my master’s program in marriage and family therapy in 2013 and expanded my practice working with children and youth at risk. I then left music therapy for two years while I was working on my licensure in marriage and family

When my daughter came into my life, I have decided to do what works for my family. I want to do something that is beneficial to my family in positive and supporitive settings. I am very eager to learn more about early childhood development so that I can support my daughter during her physical and emotional transitions and as a by product, help and support the new parents and their children in their transitions.

Thank you everyone and looking forward to hear about your stories.

Best,

Julia

Kristina Rio

Participant

Thank you for reposting Julia! Welcome everyone!

Kate Potrykus

Participant

Hello everyone!

My name is Kate, and like Nicole, I’m a new private practice owner in Northern Virginia. The practice, NeuroSound Music Therapy, has been up and running since July and I currently work with adolescents and adults with various developmental disabilities. I was drawn to the Sprouting Melodies program for a multitude of reasons, the first being that I recently met Meredith at the Mid-Atlantic Region Conference, and she convinced me that this would be a great course! I’m already loving it.

Another reason is that of all populations, I have the least experience with using music therapy in early childhood development. I spent several years working at a special ed preschool and have worked in clinical settings with children who fall in this age range, but I am excited about developing my knowledge and skills for working with this population in a musical setting.

There are many music programs for young children in my area, but nothing like Sprouting Melodies. I cannot wait to become a provider and offer my community an excellent early childhood development program through music!

Kate

Flora Whitmore

Participant

Hello!
      My name is Flora Whitmore, I’m a MT-BC from Burlington, Vermont. I graduated from Acadia University in Wolfville, Nova Scotia in 2009, and did my internship at Holland Bloorview Kids Rehab Hospital in Toronto, Ontario. I am one of three music therapists in Music Blooms Music Therapy, a small private practice that provides support to the local VNA, several school districts and area nursing homes. My areas of interest and expertise are music therapy with youth at risk and autism and developmental disability.
      I enrolled in Sprouting Melodies to expand my professional repertoire and knowledge base.

Hi everyone! My name is Marcie Hernandez. I actually work with Flora in the same practice, Music Blooms Music Therapy, based in Burlington, VT. I received my degree from Queens University in Charlotte, NC, and I completed my internship at MJHS Hospice in NYC. I’ve been living in VT now for 3 years, and working as a music therapist here for the past 2 years. I have a diverse caseload which includes seniors, children and adults with special needs, and working within a pediatric palliative care program. I also provide fun music groups (not therapy) for children in one of the local libraries. I’m doing this training so that I can also expand my knowledge base and skills working with this young age group.

Vanessa Quirarte

Participant

Hi everyone,
      My name is Vanessa Quirarte. I’m a board certified MT working in Northwest Indidna with individuals with developmental and intellectual disabilities. I mainly work with adults and we get reimbursed through the Indiana Medicaid Waiver Program. Lately, many children have been able to receive services and not be on a long waiting list. We have been getting many referrals for children as young as 4. I am taking this course to expand my repertoire and enhance my clinical work to better support the young children we are starting to see in our program. I look forward to learning and growing with everyone here!

Rebecca Woodruff

Participant

Hello everyone! My name is Rebecca Woodruff, I’m an MT-BC from Alberta, Canada. I just completed my American music therapy certification in December and will have everything processed through on my Canadian certification in about a week or two. I earned by bachelor’s in music therapy at Utah State University, in Logan, Utah and completed my internship at Hartvigsen School in the Salt Lake area. At Hartvigsen, our clients were special needs students K-12 with a variety of disabilities (Autistic Spectrum Disorder, CP, TBI, Downs-syndrome, blindness, etc.). My internship was an excellent experience for me and I am looking to work with similar clients. After I finished my internship, I moved back home to Canada where I have been teaching piano and guitar as well as gigging with harp and piano.

During my time at Utah State, I was able to complete one of my practicums in a group that is similar to Sprouting Melodies. I greatly enjoyed that practicum and wanted to start a similar program. I felt like enrolling in the Sprouting Melodies training would help me fill in the gaps of my understanding of development and to ensure I am using best practice principles. As a new professional, I am excited to hear the input of all you with much more experience than I.

Christina Bass

Participant

Hello everyone! My name is Christie Bass, I am a MT-BC in Colorado Springs, CO. I earned my bachelor’s from Colorado State in December after completing my internship at Osawatomie State Hospital in Osawatomie, KS. I am currently working as an independent contract music therapist for the company Moved by Music, LLC. We provide individual in-home services as well as some groups at various locations. Before my internship, I worked as an educational assistant for children diagnosed with autism in the early childhood program in Colorado Springs School District 11. I began to discover my passion for working with young children. I am currently working with few young children (ages 4-7) in my caseload and I’m looking forward to learning more about working with these children with a developmental approach!

Susan Gannon

Participant

Hi, my name is Susan Gannon and I live in the Ann Arbor area of Michigan. This is about a 3rd career for me as I was over 50 yrs old when I started, but this is the career I most love and am sticking to. I received my bachelor’s from Eastern Michigan University and my master’s from Colorado State through their distance learning program. I have worked for the last 8 years at a wonderful children’s clinic. This clinic has a strong ABA component but unfortunately does not appreciate my music therapy. I am told that it is because everything else at the clinic is reimbursed by insurance companies, but not music therapy in Michigan. I am doing the Sprouting Melodies training because I am thinking of starting my own business and offering a children’s music program. I was a Kindermusik educator for many years but I was always troubled by the scripts and proprietary nature of the program. We had to sell expensive music materials for the children, much of which I didn’t feel was very useful. I am also struck by how things seem to be falling together for me. I am receiving some advice and opportunities for starting my own business, and just yesterday I came upon this class for Sprouting Melodies. I was so happy to be able to join it even though you are well into your second week.

Kristina Rio

Participant

Welcome everyone! Susan, we are glad you could join us as well!

Charniqua Snell

Participant

Hello, My name is Charniqua Snell. I received my bachelor’s at the University of Miami and completed my internship at Season’s Hospice in Miami, FL. I am currently working at Joyful Music Therapy which is a private practice in Orlando, FL. I work with individuals of all ages and diagnosis from early intervention to Alzheimer’s patients. Working at Joyful Music Therapy, most of the clientele are young children and children with disabilities. Since my internship was working with older adult at end of life, my skills with children have become rusty. I am looking forward to learning more about working with children and learning new songs and interventions to use!

Kristina Rio

Participant

We are glad you were able to join us Charniqua. Welcome!

Anonymous

Inactive

Welcome everyone!

Johanna Horn

Participant

Hello! My name is Johanna Horn. I am a MT-BC from Northern Virginia. I graduated from Shenandoah University in 2007 and I completed my internship with Fairfax County Public Schools. After graduation, I worked at a private daycare ‘teaching’ music to preschoolers ages 2-kindergarten. After one year at the preschool, I worked as a contract music therapist for Frederick County Public Schools in Winchester, VA. Then, I worked at a private elementary school for children that were unable to meet their full potential in public schools due to a variety of challenges (including Autisim and ADD/ADHD). During that time, I became pregnant with my now 3 year old twin daughters and needed to go on hospitalized bed rest. I was bedridden for 15 weeks before my daughters were born. I knew it wouldn’t be the same working at the school I was at, and my interests had changed drastically, I went back to the daycare I started at out of college. I’ve been working there for 3 years now and it is wonderful doing music with the same age groups as my daughters. I still get my music therapy fix as a contract music therapist for a private music therapy company out of Northern Virginia, Capital Music Therapy Services.
      Looking forward to learning new approaches to early childhood!

Anonymous

Inactive

Welcome Johanna

Viewing 24 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content