Most Valuable Take Away

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies – June 2022 Week 2 Most Valuable Take Away

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Anonymous

Inactive

What was your most valuable takeaway from this week’s content?

Elizabeth Bentz

Participant

I think my most valuable take away this week was respecting children’s imaginary play. I’ve worked with some parents who take away toys when the child isn’t playing with it “the right way” (it’s intended purpose). For example, I had a parent take away drum sticks because the child wanted to hold the tipped end instead of the fat end. I feel exploration of materials is natural and should be encouraged.

Holly Jurca

Participant

The level of detail of all the developmental milestones (as well as the small things) has helped me to understand child development in a whole new way. For example, from 18-24months, the description of how the child may be feeling things, though may not understand what those feelings mean. The way of explaining the lack of context and what they are experiences as they move about the world was a statement I will keep in mind each time I am working with children at this age. Additionally, getting into 36 – 60 months, the point that is made of children being incredibly overwhelmed with new information helps to gain perspective on the emotional aspect of that developmental time.

Erika Svolos

Thank you all for your insights!

Diandra Doble

Participant

My biggest takeaway from this week is associated with imaginary and make-believe play. I think it is important to allow the child to explore new objects and things they came across in any way that feels right to them. As long as they are not harming themselves in any way, I feel as though children should have the freedom to explore however they please. There is no right or wrong way when a child is exploring an object for the first time. Especially thinking about this in a music therapy context. I will see a child in a music therapy session exploring a shaker for the first time and the staff in the room will use hand over hand to make them play it “like it is supposed to be played.” There is no right or wrong way to play an instrument and I want to work on that advocation; assuring that child that however they are exploring that instrument is great!

Erika Svolos

Hi Diandra,

Thank you for that very important point! No right or wrong and how important it is for children to have bodily autonomy and freedom to explore and express themselves.

Meghan Hanley

Participant

My most valuable take away was all of the small steps necessary to explore and understand one’s environment as an infant and toddler. By playing instruments, toddlers can be working on picking up and holding objects and sitting up straight.

Elizabeth Bentz

Participant

It is so fascinating how all these seemingly small things infants and toddlers do (which we often take for granted) are vitally important to future development!

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content