Most Valuable Take Away

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies – June 2023 Week 2 Most Valuable Take Away

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Julie Palmieri

Participant

What was your most valuable takeaway from this week’s content?

Sarah Braverman

Participant

I was able to take away a lot from this week’s content. I thought it was fascinating to learn how children can already be musical by the time their born. It’s interesting how when they begin to do things like instinctively suck and cry, they do so in rhythm. It made me wonder if the rhythm during that stage of birth to 3 months is the same or different for specific needs of every child. I also found it incredible to see what children are already able to learn from 3-24 months. It helped me to understand a bit more personally of where some of my current clients might be in their development and how I might use the tone of my voice to interact with them. The other day I was working with a child who took an interest in playing the colored xylophone. I use my voice to sing the names of the colors as I play them on the xylophone. The child watched me and then began saying the names of the colors after I played them on the xylophone. It was amazing! With the content I learned today, I can now understand where this child might be developmentally and think about next steps that can help the child reach new milestones in their development through music.

Erika (TeamRH)

Keymaster

Wonderful insights Sarah! Thank you for sharing 🙂

Brooke Langley

Participant

The rhythmic sucking I found very interesting too! I would love to see this being worked on in a NICU setting by a Music Therapist!

Julie Palmieri

Participant

It was fun to review the developmental stages, especially as I’m on the “other side” of this stage of parenting. I remember reading books and articles about development in little ones as a new parent.

I think my biggest takeaway and reminder is knowing that every child is going to be different and take a different path. One of my kids started standing at 9 months, the other at 13 months. Crawling and walking came at different times, as well.

One milestone that I absolutely loved was when my girls learned how to clap. We used to watch an adorable show called Classical Baby, where cartoon animals listened to symphony orchestras and watched animations and would clap after each selection. When my girls clapped with the animals, my Momma heart melted. Many, many times.

Brooke Langley

Participant

I’m definitely saving these powerpoints and my notes about each developmental milestone because when I am working with a young child (which is very rare currently but will continue to be more frequent here soon) I never know what’s developmentally appropriate, or what areas I may need to focus on. I don’t want to work on sorting and counting if the child is too young for that skill, but here I am thinking they’re behind! Or maybe I think the babbling is “normal” for that age, but they’re actually a year behind on that skills and I should be supporting that progress and totally missing the mark!

Erika (TeamRH)

Keymaster

We have found Elizabeth’s book to be a nice working book that is referenced frequently and look at things from the perspectives of where a child is as opposed to assigning things behind. When we move into the neurodiversity affirming paradigm a shift happens where we see that all children have their own timeline and Elizabeth’s book is set up nicely to follow someone on their own timeline throughout their entire lifespan.

Elizabeth herself said she also used her book as a working manual that she referenced frequently in her day to day work.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content