Most Valuable Takeaways

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies – January 2022 Week 2 Most Valuable Takeaways

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author

Anonymous

Inactive

What was your most valuable takeaway from this week’s content?

Amy Brownell

Participant

Children experience so much change in just five short years! Development and learning starts from the moment they are born, however these changes may be subtle, so it is important to know to look for different skills and stages. We as music therapists can assist parents in understanding these stages as we nurture the development that is occurring or take note of when milestones have not been met at expected times so that we can add extra supports. While certain developmental experiences may not be appropriate at all times (ex. mouthing items in an unsanitary environment), it is important to allow children to still have those experiences in a controlled setting (ex. finding appropriate and clean items for them to put in their mouths to further explore their environment). While development is fluid and each child will grow at a slightly different pace, understanding the different stages is key to then observe and nurture their musical development.

Amy Brownell

Participant

I would also like to add that I currently provide music therapy services at a daycare where I have babies, toddlers, and preschoolers in a group setting. As I watched the videos, it was interesting to think about each stage and picture what I have observed with working with the children in each group. It helped to have that visual and to relate the information to the different age groups!

Aliza Llovet

Participant

It’s so incredible to watch the individually unique journeys with the developmental understanding as a solid foundation of support.

Aliza Llovet

Participant

I think one of the most valuable takeaways is reframing what can be viewed as a challenging (exhausting) behavior to what it actually is as a developmentally appropriate behavior. This actually occurred in one of my early intervention telehealth visits this week with a family of twins. Mom really wanted one of the twins to sit at their table for the session and he was able to attend at the table briefly (swaying in his seat to the music) but then he wanted to get up and have more physical movement. As the provider, I was able to explain to Mom, who was getting upset that he wouldn’t stay seated, that he is at a stage that he wants to get mastery of his gross motor abilities (he was a late walker). We were then able to discuss how we could possibly support this behavior through movement activities before attempting more “structured” activities, changing expectation that maybe he is first standing by the table, etc.

Amy Brownell

Participant

I completely agree! I have had this happen as well when parents expect skills from their children that are a little beyond where they are developmentally – fortunately we are gaining the knowledge and resources to provide parents with support! Sounds like you did a great job with this!

Anne Reed

Participant

Foundations are important- such as understanding child development. However, being able to understand child development does not make me an effective music therapist. Applying developmental principles to my therapy- that is the thought provoking, challenging piece since no two children develop the same.

Amy Brownell

Participant

Yes! Understanding child development gives us a foundation, and now I am looking forward to learning more about applying the music with this group!

Emily Fabian

Participant

I thought one of the biggest takeaways is the allowance of exploration of developmentally appropriate behaviors. In particular, the review of 36-60 months, how we as therapists can provide an environment for these experiences that demonstrate to the child safety, responsibility, and empathy. I see all the time in my pre school aged classes, children asserting that need for independence and testing boundaries. With the application of the developmental standards, I can integrate effective, thought-provoking, and creative interventions in my classroom.

Amy Brownell

Participant

So true – it’s important to allow them to grow but to do it in a safe manner. It sure can get challenging when they start to declare independence and test the boundaries we have set, but it’s so rewarding to see them then use those skills to make music and grow!

Jessica Gelineau

Participant

My most valuable takeaway from our lesson this week was: “we are not looking to see how well the child is doing musically, we are looking to see how well the child is responding to what they are doing musically”. I think that is SO important to take with me as I continue this training. As music therapists we often get confused with music educators, and families often ask me how their child is “doing musically” or if they are “where they are supposed to be musically”. I think this statement will go a long way as I explain that as music therapists, we are not looking to see how well or how correct the child is doing something. We are looking to see which interventions, songs, chants or instruments the child is responding well to, so that we can help the child reach their fullest potential in their goals and development.

Amy Brownell

Participant

Yes, this is so important! It’s our job to share with the families that different way of looking at how children are interacting with the music.

Erika Svolos

I’ve enjoyed reading what each of you took away from this week’s content.

Jessica Gelineau

Participant

Hi everyone,
      I have really enjoyed reading what everyone has said throughout the week. Emily, I like your point about keeping in mind developmental standards. I find it is so important to keep in mind the chronological age of our clients, but also their developmental age. It is so important to make sure we are choosing interventions that are least restrictive, and that will always set our little ones up for success!

Maggie Murphy

Participant

Hi Everyone,

I’m a little behind, but will work on getting caught back up! I know that there is even more content in week 3!

Learning about all of the milestones and developmental markers this past week was a great refresher of the human development class that I took over 10 years ago… so, yes, much needed!

My biggest takeaway this past week was that it is important to have a clear knowledge and ability to explain the developmental markers of children within various early childhood age groups… not just for planning session/observing for behaviors in session… but also for being able to educate/advocate to employers. I actually had this experience and was able to explain to my boss (at a local music studio) the developmental differences of an 8 month old and a 3 year old and why it is important to offer multiple music sessions for children within these very different stages of development.

As you can imagine, I’m so grateful for signing up for this course, as I am already putting the knowledge to good use!

Erika Svolos

Hi Maggie,

That is wonderful to hear this training is already supporting your work! I love how you were able to inform your boss so that better decisions can be made for the work you do. Such great advocacy work on your part.

Amy Brownell

Participant

It’s great that you have been able to explain some differences and share this information!

Hannah Floyd

Participant

I think one thing that really stood out to me was how much change actually occurs during such a short time. As a new MT-BC, who took child development years ago, it was really interesting to relook at all this info. I also realized one of my downfalls was thinking development started later, not when the child is born. It was really enlightening to recognize that every moment there is development occurring. I currently have a client at the age of 3, and this information made me think how not only can I, the MT-BC, bring this into the session but also how to discuss these stages with the child’s mother. This week reestablished my foundation, and from there I take the information and use it within my practice.

Amy Brownell

Participant

I totally agree – so much of our outlook changes when we see that children start the journey of development from day 1! Our interactions with them matter at such an early age, which makes this program so beneficial for families!

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content