Music and Early Development

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies – January 2023 Week 8 Music and Early Development

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Julie Palmieri

Participant

As a music therapist, you know how music making contributes to overall early development. This connection between music and development is a unique feature of this training. We also know that there are many community programs in which young children are taught music skills.

How do you explain to parents the difference between what you do and what another music learning based program does?

Jorden Liteplo

Participant

I think the biggest difference is that I will explain or point out those developmental milestones in class, much like was pointed out in the video, how you can use one child as an example to the group. I can point things out about development with an authority that music teachers may not have due to my specific training. I will often briefly outline the “why” we do things for parents which I have found they appreciate. I once had a parent complain to me that I did the same songs every week for a six week session, when she had taken a rec center class that introduced a new instrument every week and had a different lesson plan every week. I explained to her that while that is more engaging for parents, the kids have to process a lot of new information, especially when you only see them once per week. I think its important to point out to parents as they don’t always see the value in repetition, that we are about the process through which kids learn and integrate information and not about teaching them how to music. Children are already inherently musical, we just encourage them to make it in a structured environment, we are not teaching them how to make the music, we are teaching them how to engage in it and make choices in it and take ownership of it.

Sean FitzGerald

Participant

One of the big points that I lean on his how personalized music therapy is vs. a regular music class. Regular music classes will have a set of songs and activities that they want to do and they will do without much flexibility but in music therapy, we adapt our interventions in the moment to fit clients needs. This is a huge difference and the focus on being flexible and molding the experience to best fit the client means a lot to the client’s experience. Also, being able to explain why I am changing things in session can help to provide them with perspective into how their child is interacting with the music and how they can better connect with their child through the music. All in all (in my biased opinion), it is a more inclusive experience, a more comprehensive experience, and a more educational experience for the family as a whole.

Kayla Stubblefield

Participant

That is a huge difference!

Angie Snell

Participant

Sean, It sounds like you are able to explain it in a way that does not diminish music education classes, rather you differentiate the focus of music therapy is on individual and group needs.

Erika (TeamRH)

Keymaster

Thank you all for your insights. Your responses to this question are great to keep on hand when you may have to advocate or explain why the work you are doing (or classes you are offering) are unique and make you different from other early childhood music classes/experiences.

Kayla Stubblefield

Participant

The biggest difference between an early-childhood based music therapy program like SM and a music classes for children is that we are not JUST teaching music, we are supporting kids into becoming well-rounded humans. Music therapists know how to work on social, cognitive, academic, motor, sensory, and emotional-regulatory skills through music interventions that can be adapted to fit the need of the child. Other music-learning based programs aren’t focused on development as much as they are on making sure music fundamentals, theory, and instrument-specific exercises are being learned.

Leah Strand

Participant

I love that you mentioned specific areas that MTs are knowledgeable in. We have a lot to offer to those who walk into our sprouting melodies classes.

Leah Strand

Participant

I think the biggest thing to make clear is were not just there for the music, but we are their for your child’s development. Music WITH many other things in mind to be as helpful as we can for the caregiver and the child. As music therapist we have the knowledge to know when too much is too much or when it may not be enough just yet. To be experts on how to create a musical environment for all developmental stages is a great key factor on why what we do is different then just any music class.

Angie Snell

Participant

Generally speaking, I explain that music education has a music curriculum and the focus is on learning music, learning to appreciate music, and to recognize oneself as being musical. Music therapy assesses ones’ responses to music elements and interprets their relevance to learning, wellness (physical and social/emotional), strengths (often hidden ones) and weaknesses. It is tailored in-the-moment to immediate and long-term goals. This is not as smoothly stated as I usually do, but I tailor my explanation to the audience.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content