Music and Early Development

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies – March 2023 Week 8 Music and Early Development

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

Julie Palmieri

Participant

As a music therapist, you know how music making contributes to overall early development. This connection between music and development is a unique feature of this training. We also know that there are many community programs in which young children are taught music skills.

How do you explain to parents the difference between what you do and what another music learning based program does?

Kimberly Werner

Participant

As a music therapist, we are exceptionally well positioned to talk about the developmental framework that Sprouting Melodies is based on. Many other community music program facilitators that have training via different programs are not required to be MT-BCs, and while that doesn’t automatically discount their skills, and doesn’t mean that they don’t understand development, accommodations, there’s a little bit less “insurance” for having a leader that is well-versed in these things.

Although these programs aren’t marketed or presented as music therapy, having a MT-BC facilitating the groups will inherently pull in some more therapeutic goals – fine/gross motor skills, social skills, regulation, bonding/attachment – which may or may not be present to varying degrees with non-MT-facilitators.

I imagine that explaining these differences to caregivers in a way that doesn’t set them up for the expectation of a specific therapy group, while also reinforcing that our training AS therapists helps to inform our community groups, can seem a little muddy for the general participant. I would likely take the approach of reinforcing that I’m well-trained in developmental milestones, constantly assessing and monitoring for signs of over/understimulation and am able to make adjustments in the moment as appropriate, and possibly peppering in the some of the evidence-based/research-based data to support my reasons for making some of the choices provided.

Leslie Aldrich

Participant

I would explain that the difference between this program is that it was created by music therapists. Music therapists have training in whole person care including assessment, emotional support, social skills, language development, movement and can really create music experiences that work to help facilitate this growth in your child. Sprouting Melodies is more than a fun music group; each music experience provides the foundation for learning and development on some level. Parents can also feel safe knowing that as a music therapist, we can assess for stimulation level and group safety so that each child’s needs are being met and they are being encouraged to grow from where they are at.

Erika (TeamRH)

Keymaster

Thank you all for your insights. This question really helps to create an “elevator speech” to showcase why family music programming is unique when facilitated by a music therapist. It is great to have for those who may be marketing these classes in the future.

Melissa Neitzel

Participant

I would highlight the fact that Sprouting Melodies is a training based on a developmental framework created by music therapists for music therapists.

As a music therapist, I am watching how your child is developing, musically. Although I am leading the group, I am observing how your child engages with the music. How they respond to music will guide the group. There isn’t a specific formula we must follow for each group like other classes. Here, we will follow your child’s lead. We will build upon their strengths and give them opportunities to grow through music at their pace.
      Not only will your child learn new music but you will, too! I will provide songs that you can learn in group and use at home to support your child’s development and create special bonding time.

Christine Wick

Participant

I would explain how the program was designed following a developmental framework by music therapists. Music therapists are trained musically and also have the education and background to possess the therapeutic skills necessary to provide whole-person care.
      This program models that in that there is no set structure or specific model that each group must follow. Instead, a music therapist will follow the child’s lead by validating choices, celebrating strengths, and adapting to needs in the moment to support developmental skills. Because of this, supports become tailored to each individual and group, providing meaningful strategies for parents and caregivers to readily take home.

Maggie Johnson

Participant

I think the “no set structure” and “following the child’s lead” can be such an important asset in parent’s eyes for these programs!

Maggie Johnson

Participant

I think all parents want to see their children fall in love with music and see possibilities for growth and development, to make connections with others, and develop self-esteem along with their accomplishments. Many of the highest quality music programs check a lot of these boxes, but music therapists have the skills and training to help all children and families promote a “musical self-concept” that isn’t based on pleasing a teacher, passing technical proficiency, winning a competition, passing a test, or the need to pass through specific curriculum to be considered worthy of that deep deep connection with music that we all have the capacity for. Furthermore, any music class can promote child development because I think anyone seeking music programming for their child has at least an intuitive understanding that music is important to a child’s development, however music therapists are especially knowledgable and skilled in responding through the music and creating that strong relationship between facilitator/therapist and participant and parent-child etc., also facilitating overall developmental growth through musical play and connecting specific developmental opportunities with specific musical development or capacities.

Katelyn Caruso

Participant

While other music programs are still valuable and can teach great skills, the benefit of having a music group facilitated by a music therapist is that the music will always be developmentally appropriate to the child. As music therapists, we are trained to look for and respond to developmental milestones through music. We also are here to be a resource for parent and caregivers to best support their child’s development at home, and have songs and ideas to share with you and your family. Wherever your child is at in their development, we are here to encourage and support their needs and growth. As we are trained to respond and react to each individual musically, these music groups are tailored to fit each child in the group rather than following a set curriculum or song list, as some other programs do. We also are able to detect signs of overstimulation or understimulation, and change what we are doing with the music or offer support to the parent and child to regulate and participate again.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content