Music for development and music for skill building

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies Training – April 2017 Week 8 Music for development and music for skill building

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author

Meredith Pizzi

Keymaster

Share how you can explain to parents the difference between music for development and music for skill building.

Alison Barrington

Participant

I think the main difference to get across is that music for development explores the needs of the whole child. So it’s not just focussing on musical skills which is one important area. It’s looking at the whole child and working with physical, cognitive, emotional and social development. For example it’s helping the child to develop concentration and listening which are so useful in all areas of life and set the child up to have coping strategies. SM covers both areas but I’d say that skill building is just one aspect of the whole of a child’s development and, as such, music for development is a much more profound experience.

Elana Dietz-Weinstein

Participant

I would explain to parents that music for development involves using the music for non-musical goals, such as socialization, language, cognitive development, and gross motor movement. Music for skill building is used to learn specific skills within music, and music for development is intended to be carried over to the child’s functioning in the world around him/her.

Carolyn Keenan

Participant

I would say something similar to what was already stated above — that music for development focuses on the needs of the whole child and helps the children practice emerging cognitive, motor, social, and emotional skills. They are so closely intertwined. Elana, I like the way you said it is intended to be carried over in to the child’s functioning in the world around him/her. Music for skill building focuses on learning specific skills within the music.

Anonymous

Inactive

Hi Everyone, you are on on the right track here. Meredith and Beth like families to know that skill building is very important, however not what we are focused on in Sprouting Melodies. As you all said, we are focused on the whole child, and supporting that the child, their development and the family connection. Skill building is something we see more in music therapy, music lessons and other early childhood music programs where the goal is on building a specific skill like improving articulation, learning to read music or developing the ability to keep a steady beat. I hope that is helpful 🙂

Claudia Eliaza

Participant

I agree with all of you ladies. Music for development to me focuses on the needs of the whole child. We address various domain areas including: social, physical, motor, and cognitive skills. Music for skill building focuses on learned behavior and skills through music exploration and creation. The goals addressed in music development stages will carry over to the child’s over all functioning and development outside of music and their day to day lives. Both music for skill building and music for development are ideal healthy for the child.

I agree with all that was said above. Meredith and Beth talk a lot more about developing fine and gross motor, the differences in ability to play 1 vs. two handed instruments, being able to do more complex movements like skipping or jumping, and overall developmental milestones, rather than building musical skills. Similarly, in music together, the focus is on development and reaching basic music competence rather than being able to sing a song a certain way, learn a choreographed dance or play an instrument, all of which I would consider “skills”. While Sprouting Melodies seems to focus even more so on development and less on music competence I would think that by being in this rich music environment both would be enhanced.

Jen Hinton

Participant

Explaining Music for development vs. Music for skill building to parents/caregivers:

1:1 Music Therapy sessions work on the generalization a specific need.

Music lessons teach musical skills.

Sprouting Melodies uses music for development. In other words we come alongside your child and your family to support them and you as they grow. We use the repetition of music to ingrain concepts. We use everyday language in songs. We teach ideas that are developmentally appropriate. We support you as you learn and grow with your child.

*Trying to use “parent friendly language” —not sure if I hit it all…please help me re-phrase if you have feedback…!

Mabel Ortiz

Participant

I would explain that music for skill building targets a specific area, and it is guided by probably an assessment, goals, and treatment planning. Music for development is a more holistic approach to everything that is involved in growth.

Laura Pruett

Participant

I’m not sure how I missed this post before, but I am glad I am double checking all the weeks to make sure I responded to everything!

I appreciate what has been shared already. I would explain that music isn’t a fragmented part of a child’s experience, music and movement are all intertwined into a child’s development. I would go on to explain (similar to what Elana and Jen said above) that music for development is to support that whole experience. For example, music is there to support the bonding between parent and child, it is there to cue the child to leave, it is there to help the child move, it is there to help the child learn how to share, etc.

Music for skill building is exactly what it sounds like – using music to learn a specific skill, ie how to play the piano, or how to better articulate specific sounds. (Thanks for sharing that example, Erika, in how music for development is specifically different from clinical MT sessions!)

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content