Personal Reflection

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies – June 2023 Week 2 Personal Reflection

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Julie Palmieri

Participant

Post to the board a personal reflection of what you personally will bring to early childhood music therapy based programs?

Be sure to come back and respond to others as well.

Sarah Braverman

Participant

Personally, I’d like to bring new ways of using my voice in early childhood music therapy programs. The content this week helped me to understand how important it is for us to experiment with the sound of our voices in order to help our clients with vocalization and finding their own unique sound. Currently, I have clients who spontaneously vocalize and vocalize with the music that I bring in my sessions with them. I want to be able to encourage the clients to increase their vocalizations and help them to discover what they can do with their voices. This also gives me the opportunity to see how I can experiment with the tone of my voice to help clients take something out of the session that can be generalized to other settings outside of music therapy. Through learning about how language develops in children from birth-60 months, I can figure out the best way for me to use my voice as a reinforcer for language skills with clients that I’m currently seeing in my sessions.

Erika (TeamRH)

Keymaster

Hi Sarah,

Thank you for your insights!

Elizabeth also has a book about the use of the voice in music therapy that you may find helpful.

Here is a link:

https://barcelonapublishers.com/Functional-Voice-Skills-for-Music-Therapists

Brooke Langley

Participant

Thank you for sharing this book! Just like Sarah, I too need to work more on using my voice during sessions. I use a lot of pre recorded music like Ms. Rachel, because I know the children will recognize her voice and videos, but being able to express the tone of communication and sentence structure through song using live music will be so much more beneficial! I’m just not as confident in my own voice….

Talia Morales

Participant

How fun Sarah! I agree, vocal work and play is so key:) I second the importance for us to experiment with sound not only as practitioners but also for the individuals we work with. Thanks for the book suggestion too Elizabeth!

Erika (TeamRH)

Keymaster

Hi Everyone,

I hope you are all enjoying the course thus far!

Reminders:
      *Come back to pervious weeks, throughout the training, to read others responses, and comment on others responses. Past participants have informed us that those interactions have deepened the training for them.
      *Save all of your forum responses in a text, word, pages, or google doc in case there are any technical glitches. In the past we have had participants whose responses didn’t post due to the unpredictability of the internet.

Julie Palmieri

Participant

Early childhood features such huge leaps in development. Recognizing differences in development and meeting each little one at their individual level will bring the biggest benefit to them, as well as their caregiver.

Brooke Langley

Participant

Yes!! The HUGE expansion of developmental across just those first 5 years is insane!! And definitely needs to be addressed individually by each child’s own development stage.

Brooke Langley

Participant

Our early childhood group that we just started is set for Birth to age 5 and I’m realizing that as the group begins to grow and bring in more families, I’ll need to do different age groups! Because that 3 month old baby is needing to working on a whole lot of different things than that 5 year old needs to work on! I’ve been lucky so far that most of my clients are around the age of 3, but this helps me focus on that specific age development and create interventions specifically for them!

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content