Post to the board a personal reflection of what you personally will bring to early childhood music therapy based programs and how this information will support your work as a music therapist.

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies Training – September 2015 Week 2 Post to the board a personal reflection of what you personally will bring to early childhood music therapy based programs and how this information will support your work as a music therapist.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author

Meredith Pizzi

Keymaster

Megan Calabro

Participant

Hi, again

I think one of the biggest challenges I’ve faced in my hospital setting, and will probably continue to face, is the justification of the what/why/how of MT. While some staff members get it, others really do not. One of the things I think (hope!) I can bring to early childhood MT based programs is an absolute love for this age group, and for what’s happening developmentally. I’ve spoken with many families who are questioning development, early intervention, treatment options for a child with ASD, etc, and I’ve felt that this has always been something of a more natural fit for me. As part of my personal life, I am a mom of 2 children, and my younger one has ADHD, an auto dory processing disorder, and some senosory challenges. I feel like I can relate to parents who may be questioning what’s going on, and also offer either a different perspective, or some thoughts on ways they can encourage their child to reach their highest potential. I hope to use my experiences from this training to really help further my ability to effectively work with hindering and their families, and eventually transition from my current position into something more closely in line with something early childhood based (ie the child development center, private practice, etc). Have a great week, all!

Megan Calabro

Participant

Just out of curiosity (I guess this is more directed towards Beth/Meredith/Erika..??) – is anyone familiar with the association for infant mental health? If so, may I ask if MT’s are able to become endorsed, or if that is something that is decided upon state by state? I reached out to someone in the NJ infant mental health association, but am not getting any responses from them. I’m just curious as I know there have been debates on whether MT’s can work within early intervention, based upon what the state dictates… Thanks!!

Elizabeth Schwartz

Keymaster

Hi, Megan. Meredith has done a lot of research lately in infant mental health, and I have written about it some. She and I will be presenting on the topic at the upcoming AMTA conference, and can share some of that information with you. On a different level, music therapy can be approved under Part C of IDEA (early intervention) but this information has been slow to trickle down to the states. Judy Simpson at the AMTA office has posted a number of updates in the AMTA newsletters over the years and there was an article with information on MT and EI regulations in the early childhood music therapy magazine imagine. We can talk more if you have any more questions. Erika is also in New Jersey and so she might have more information and contacts.

Megan Calabro

Participant

Hi, Beth. Thank you for your response! I had tried reaching out to a few EI agencies, but was either not getting a response, or hearing that MT isn’t recognized in the state for EI. It’s frustrating, but I guess that’s just the politics behind it all. I have given several families the info sheets from AMTA that state how MT is recognized as a related service under IDEA, and am hopeful that some steps can be taken that will eventually include MT as part of EI, but we shall see. I will absolutely go back to check out the imagine article – thank you!

Anonymous

Inactive

Hi Megan,

Yes, I have received the same response from EI agencies, MT is not recognized by the state. In fact, I had one agency that begged me to go back and get a masters in a recognized field so that could get me in and use music under one of the approved providers by the state. I am hoping that the possible licensure in NJ will help with this issue. Thank you Beth for sharing that MT can be approved through IDEA Part C for IDEA. I actually was not aware of that. Right now I have one client who was receiving EI, but the family paid me privately.

Megan Calabro

Participant

Hi, Erika

I have been contemplating getting a second master’s degree for that very reason.. I’m also hoping that state licensure goes through, and that some progress can be made with regards to the recognition of MT. Let me know if either you’re able to magically find a loophole, or know any MT’s who have! =)

Dina Breaux

Participant

Hi, Everyone!
      I believe my years of teaching music in public schools, my training as a music therapist with many age levels, and my experience as a mother of 3 daughters will bring a strong knowledge base to my practice in early childhood music therapy. Most of my professional experience with very young children has been in 1:1 music therapy sessions. This course will give me an opportunity to work with both typical and developmentally delayed children, along with their parents, in a way that can help many of these young parents navigate the sometimes overwhelming world of raising children. I’m so excited to jump back into music therapy again, with a focus on wellness for the entire family through music making!

Joanna Calahan

Participant

Lately I have been very interested in early childhood development, early intervention, and educational curriculum. I’m still very young in my professional career, so I feel I have many avenues I could take in regards to implementing early childhood music therapy based programs whether within a school setting, clinical or private practice. I think the more I continue to work with this age group and continue to develop my clinical skills, the more I will be able to provide music therapy services for young children where it may not be offered.

Lauren Klimek

Participant

For some reason my post never went through so here goes again. I plan to bring a fresh, fun, effective, informative and always expanding and knowledgeable approach to my early childhood music therapy based programs. The information I learn form this training will be the foundation of the work I do and will help me to better serve my clients and their families. I will be able to effectively identify problems and needs based off of each developmental stage and appropriately change the music and format I use to address those needs. This information will support my work as I can provide the parents and caregivers with songs and tools that they can take home to promote their child’s growth and well-being while connecting with their child on a much more emotional level. This training will also help me in promoting early childhood music programs to facilities that don’t have anything in place or who have programs that are in need of a music therapy based approach.

Gina Greeson

Participant

It seems I missed this post! Yikes! Very sorry! I hope to learn more about early childhood music therapy so I can bring this service to my community, whether it be at a library, moms club, head start program, or private practice. I have learned so much during this program!

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content