Post to the board a personal reflection of what you personally will bring to early childhood music therapy based programs and how this information will support your work as a music therapist.

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies Training – January 2014 Week 2 Post to the board a personal reflection of what you personally will bring to early childhood music therapy based programs and how this information will support your work as a music therapist.

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author

Meredith Pizzi

Keymaster

Caroline Gillott

Participant

I view this question as something that I will continue to ask my self on a regular basis as a form of self exploration. I really like that it was asked in the beginning of this course because I know my answer will change or at least evolve from now until the end of the course. As of today, I hope to bring to early childhood music therapy base programs a unique approach that is child-centered. I hope to base my program on research as well as what the child brings to the experience. I am looking forward to developing my own melodies and lyrics that are developmentally functional for early childhood and I want to eliminate any misconceptions of “what kinds” of music children at this age respond to. I can’t wait to diversify my toolbox!

Dany Orozco

Participant

There are a couple of early childhood programs in my city, but none that are based in music. That’s why I think that creating a program that is music therapy based is very important, especially if it’s going to give the child and mother a new way to connect and bond. I have heard of a good amount of people who are interested in this since mothers want to be involved in their child’s learning. Like Caroline said, I also think my perception of what I will bring is going to change, but I think I will be able to bring a well fundamented practice, one that is based in research and music therapy instead of only music. I think that’s a great way to start this kind of program in Mexico, setting the bar high.

Sarah jane Mason

Participant

Personally, I feel as though I bring flexibility and a comfortable approach to needing to be spontaneous and in the moment as needed. I have written songs during early childhood groups in the moment for various reasons, that I later developed into activities. This is something that distinguishes my skills as an MT with others who may just be musicians running the group. To be able to respond to the situation in the moment, to address whatever issue through music, redirect as needed, follow the key of what the kids/parents are singing rather than forcing them to sing in my key, to use live music at the tempo of the group that day at that time… these are all things I feel I contribute in a positive way to early childhood music groups as a MT-BC.

Meredith Pizzi

Hi Ladies, It’s great to see your pictures on here! 🙂
      We all have such unique skills and gifts that we contribute to our work as music therapists. Thank you for sharing what you bring to this work. And yes, as with everything, as our skills develop and grow we are able to contribute more and more and widen and sharpen our perspective!

Elyse Suhay

Participant

I really appreciated learning about a few red flags to look for that signal possible developmental delays. So often, parents don’t realize that their children are missing milestones in development. I believe that early intervention is key, and if I am able to recognize some signs, then that child might get a few more years of services and make a lot more progress than they would otherwise. I believe that what I bring to early childhood music therapy based programs is enthusiasm. I LOVE working with the little kiddos, and I’m sure I’ll also be able to bring expertise to the table when I am finished with this training. Both the training and running Sprouting Melodies groups will help me out when I eventually decide to have children.

Katie Maurer

Participant

Everyone has such great answers.

I think I will bring a number of things to an early childhood music therapy based program:
      -My experience and history of working in early childhood.
      -My education and experience as a Music Therapist, including participation in early childhood continuing education opportunities. Knowing the purpose and reasoning behind specific songs and activities sets us apart from other early childhood music programs. Being able to develop our own songs and activities also sets us apart.
      -Being extremely comfortable working with groups of young children.
      -I think Elyse makes a great point about being knowledgeable of possible development delays. This can allow us to guide parents into seeking the opinion of a diagnostic professional, if appropriate. I see our background as Music Therapists as being critical in this area.
      -I’m sure that I will add to my answer as the course continues and when I begin SM groups.

The information we’re learning in this course will make me a much better early childhood Music Therapist because I have gained a greater understanding of appropriate development. I’m really looking forward to the section on musical development since that is an early I feel less confident about.

Kate St. John

Participant

I echo what Sarah and Katie said about specific examples of how music therapists are uniquely trained to bring another level of professionalism, expertise, and research-based methods to these music groups. We are able to compose appropriate songs as needed on the spot, adapt, address an individual’s needs within the group, etc. These skills along with the knowledge on early childhood development will help me in music therapy practice to more effectively work with children. It will also help me understand developmental milestones and how to foster healthy growth all around for my own future children.

Kristina Rio

Participant

It was so great to read through everyone’s answers! As a Sprouting Melodies Provider, I have had some experience having those difficult discussions with parents or caregivers when you have observed a red flag. It is so important that you be sensitive. One way I do that is by mentioning what I have observed, and then asking them if it is something they have seen their child do or not do in other settings. Helping the parent or caregiver become aware of what it is you see can really help. Sometimes they don’t want to hear it, but it is our job to address these issues, and give support and resources as needed to support the development of the children in our program. Another important note is to always say what you see! As music therapists, we see so much growth and wonderful responses from our kiddos, but the parents don’t always see it the way we do. Make a point to tell a parent what a great thing their child just did!

Elizabeth Schwartz

Keymaster

I so agree with Kristina about celebrating and pointing out the achievements of each child. Many of the parents I work with get so focused on following the ‘rules’ and ‘doing things right’ that they miss the developmental responses of their own child. I try and create an atmosphere of community and support so I also try and point out the achievements of the parents! A simple “You are doing a great job with Bobby” at the end of a session can go a long way to helping a parent.

Sarah jane Mason

Participant

Good point! We need to reinforce the parents with a little “atta girl” from time to time too. It would be interesting to document the change in the parents before and after reinforcement.

Jennifer DeBedout

Participant

Catching up with these posts…I agree with others that the qualities and training of music therapists can benefit the environment of an early childhood program. I will combine my music therapy training with my background in music education to design an early childhood program that is “in tune” with the developmental stages, musical stages and musical responses of the little ones I am working with. This course will help me to remember that at each stage the little ones are gaining new skills, abilities and behaviors that can be explored and celebrated in the musical setting. As others have mentioned, the red flags are good to keep in mind and we can be especially sensitive and aware given our training as music therapists. As music therapists, we also understand the importance of creating community with everybody involved in the setting. Our profession promotes wellness, stress reduction and increased communication which can not only benefit our little kiddos but also the loved ones attending our groups too.

Jennifer DeBedout

Participant

Catching up with these posts…I agree with others that the qualities and training of music therapists can benefit the environment of an early childhood program. I will combine my music therapy training with my background in music education to design an early childhood program that is “in tune” with the developmental stages, musical stages and musical responses of the little ones I am working with. This course will help me to remember that at each stage the little ones are gaining new skills, abilities and behaviors that can be explored and celebrated in the musical setting. As others have mentioned, the red flags are good to keep in mind and we can be especially sensitive and aware given our training as music therapists. As music therapists, we also understand the importance of creating community with everybody involved in the setting. Our profession promotes wellness, stress reduction and increased communication which can not only benefit our little kiddos but also the loved ones attending our groups too.

Nancy Bair

Participant

Hi All-
      I’m catching up with you all this week. I enjoyed this review of early childhood development. As a mom of four, (9, 7, and 21 mo twins), I can tell you that I have experienced all these developmental phases (although I may have slept through some of them). I appreciated re-learning it from a MT point of view instead of a Mom. My twins were early, spent a month in the NICU and are currently in early intervention/speech/physical therapy to “catch up” on their developmental stages. As a Mom, I have a lot of real-life experience I can bring to the table because of this and previous experience with my older children. Especially in those moments when your children are not meeting their developmental phases and how as a parent you feel like you have failed–when really isn’t necessarily your fault. Having one of my twins have severe colic for 5 months (nonstop crying) and the ONLY thing that would soothe her besides a warm bath was me dancing/rocking and singing/humming a melody that I sang until I lost my voice.

As a music therapist, I feel that I will also bring a lot to the table when it comes to early childhood programs. First, I absolutely adore and love kids. I am a Mom, I get it. I love music, I’m so passionate about it. I have a background in teaching and music education as well as music therapy, and I have taught early childhood music education programs before (Kindermusik). I think as a music therapist, being able to customize my program/goals/outcome to the participants based on where they are developmentally is a huge assets.

Also, I felt like the picture of the beginning was very profound. The picture represents several images to me. First, it represents the difference between any two children, whether special needs or not. Every child develops, although at generally the same rate, in their own time and in their own manner. As music therapists, we need to be aware of this and adjust our techniques and goals accordingly. The second thought that comes to me is celebration. Its OK to be different, to take a different path, to get to the same place a little later or earlier than others. This is important to me as a music therapist because music is the great equalizer (in my opinion) and it can make the playing field level for every child, including special needs children. This program also allows us as MT’s, to be able to customize the path WE are going to take with the children we are working with. Maybe drumming isn’t the best today, but something else is better. We can choose which path works for each child and really celebrate each other through the wonderful gift of music.

Elizabeth Schwartz

Keymaster

Lovely thoughts, Nancy. Thank you.

Sarah jane Mason

Participant

Nancy, I like how you put that. That music can “make the playing field level for every child”. I have often felt that but hadn’t put it into words yet.

Cassandra Mulcahy

Participant

So many great reflections!
      I too appreciated the red-flag suggestions.
      I also feel that this review of developmental milestones can be a framework of celebrations that little ones reach. As I am not a mother, and have not seen my own little ones work through these stages, this is a good list of things to communicate with my parents about when I notice changes. I have not yet had the experience of sharing an observation regarding delayed development to parents of my young clients, but I feel more prepared to do so when the time may come.
      While reviewing this information, I felt myself checking in with the development of some of my disabled clients and identifying certain behaviors within the various age categories. I feel that it also informs some of my work with older kiddos who have had traumatic experiences and may be regressing.

Can’t wait to move on to the music 🙂

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content