Question about holding a child

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies Training – April 2016 Week 7 Question about holding a child

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Nicole Drozd

Participant

Hey there! So first off I want to say, Meridith and Elizabeth you guys are amazing! I am just amazed by the wealth of knowledge and musical talent you both have! Just wow!

While I was watching the video, I believe Meridith said that SM2 is the time when the facilitator can hold the child and engage with the child. My question is, if the child approaches you to engage with you musically during a song, do you wait until the child leaves your side during the session or do you give the child back after the song ends? I have little to no experience in work with a group of this age (I have only done 1:1’s with this age).

Anonymous

Inactive

Hi Nicole,
      I am going to share your question with the team. In my Sprouting Melodies classes, I would follow the child, but if the child was with me for more than a song I may encourage them to do something with Mom and Dad or their friends too. I found that at times, some of the children were focused on me more than engaging with their families and so I would want to make sure there is also interactions happening between child and family.

Nicole Drozd

Participant

Thank you Erika! I appreciate it!

Kristina Rio

Participant

I use the musical structure to either cue the response of going back to the parent/caregiver, or use a musical transition to cue movement to something different. For example, during a lap ride if I’m doing Row It Faster, I may cue “Quick! Get in Mommy’s boat” and pass the child back to the parent, or if they are walking let them move independently back to Mom. A cue for a transition may be a sung prompt, “do you want to play maracas?” This cue if used consistently will usually trigger movement to stand up and get ready to get a maraca from the bin.

I don’t think it’s wrong to let them sit with you if they are comfortable and are not moving away. It is a great opportunity to point out that the child is in the trust phase and is showing comfort and trust in you and the space now that they have moved away from the parent. I sometimes find children switch laps with other adults in the room and you no longer know which kid belongs with which parent, and that’s great! It’s all about forming relationships and exploring!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content