question

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Caroline Gillott

Participant

Just like last week I have a question and have created this section for others to ask their questions too.

My questions are:
      How often or ever do you intervene non-musically when things are chaotic or “off”?
      Do you ever stop a music experience to intervene non-musically?
      Approximately how much time do you spend per session explaining (verbal) purposes/directions of activities? OR do you present it musically first and let the music do the explaining. (I feel it’s the latter, but I thought I’d ask any way.)
      Who is expected to intervene? ( I think you briefly mentioned this in an earlier week saying that the parents expect that the MT as the facilitator take the lead when intervening.)
      What strategies (musical or non musical) have you found to be the most valuable when redirecting and regaining attention/participation of a chaotic group?– I think this is one of my biggest “fears” when running a group of kids–chaos.

Kristina Rio

Participant

I make a point to intervene if there is a situation where someone could get hurt such as pushing, throwing, biting etc. There are going to be times when things are chaotic, especially when you have kidos that have been in the classes for a long time. When I find myself losing control of the group, I usually make a point to stop and try something different. It is always good to let parents know what you are doing and why you are doing it. I may say, “we are a really active group today! Let’s try something different and dance while we sing hello”. I may also let it ride as long as no one is getting hurt. The older guys are expressing their independence by roaming around etc, so usually I will say, “let’s do a lap ride, this is a great time for one because it is going to give them the stimulation they are seeking by running around. The more active your child is, the more bounce you should give them!” Or try a gathering song where you need to hold hands in a circle to re-gather everyone. Gross motor movement is a really great way to regain the attention of a chaotic group who is seeking a lot of movement. It is Ok for the kids to be moving around a lot, it is unrealistic to expect the kids to sit for a whole 45 minute session and participate the whole time, and it’s important to let the parents know this. Joint attention experiences are great as well where you have one instrument for everyone to play in turn. There are so many different strategies you can use to re-engage a chaotic group, and that’s why we are so good at what we do. We are comfortable meeting them where they are and recognizing and understanding what it is they need in that moment, or we know how to intervene and redirect. Use your clinical skills! You’ll be surprised how good you are at redirecting! You are expected to intervene, and I would unless the parent has already done so before you had the chance. The information you give to parents in between or during experiences should be short and sweet. I believe in this course you will have the opportunity to write up some short statements that you can relay to parents as you are facilitating. It is very important to keep the music flowing and moving, so keep your statements short, or say them during transition times.

Let me know if you still have any questions or need me to clarify anything!

Caroline Gillott

Participant

Yes this is great. I would love to hear from others too–even if they piggy back on what you said. I like to keep the music going as much as possible in my sessions. For many years, I did not talk at all, unless it was an absolutely necessary aspect of therapy. Recently though in the setting that I’m working in, I have started the tendency of talking TOO MUCH. And, with the very few EI clients that I have seen, I also had a tendency to talk a lot because the parents were talking! It all came down to my lack of communication of expectation and my goals for the session time. So, I’m worried that with a group of parents and kids that I could potentially allow talking to get excessive which could lead to a disconnect in the group, which could lead to chaos!

Thanks for your response!

Elizabeth Schwartz

Keymaster

I tend to do very little talking once it is music time. The music begins and the children and grownups generally watch the first few times and then join in.
      As we have (or will) talk about on the videos, we have a number of very short, very concise statements that we use to either educate or instruct or redirect. We call them “Sprouting Melodies Sayings”. You will get a taste of those in the course soon.

Cassandra Mulcahy

Participant

I try to use more music and less words too. If something potentially dangerous, hurtful, or talkative happens, then I will intervene with words. A HUGE tool to use for talkative adults is dynamics. Lowering or raising the volume of a group helps grab the attention of people who may have lost focus.

Kate St. John

Participant

I think if the music can be used to redirect, then great. But there are times when stopping the music and verbally intervening is necessary, especially when there is danger of someone getting hurt. My expectation that I would communicate to parents is that they will manage their own child for everyone’s safety, but maybe that’s not how SM is set up? I’m not sure so I hope to hear more about this.
      I really appreciate the ideas Kristina has such as a lap ride to provide an appropriate time to run around or a gathering song where everyone holds hands to join the group together again. I am also looking forward to learning the SM sayings that Elizabeth mentioned.

Sarah jane Mason

Participant

Certainly adjusting to the needs of the kids is part of what we are trained as MT’s to do. So incorporating gross motor into a song when they need to “get their sillies out” and they’re all standing up anyway works great. For transitions I try to write little melodies rather than speaking the instructions. If I am trying to get the attention of the group sometimes I lean in and whisper, and often, not always, that helps. And I love the idea of letting the parents know from the start that it’s OK if their child isn’t sitting down. I go to this library music class with my son and there’s one mom who just chases her son around the whole time trying to get him to sit. So then he’s focusing on her and not the music. Finally the teacher said something that I liked. She said “It’s ok. At this age the kids are just practicing sitting still and listening. It takes practice.”

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content