Reviewing what you heard today, describe a moment in your practice when you saw a child in one of the developmental stages. Post your story to the board.

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies Training – September 2014 Week 3 Reviewing what you heard today, describe a moment in your practice when you saw a child in one of the developmental stages. Post your story to the board.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author

Meredith Pizzi

Keymaster

Ericha Rupp

Participant

As soon as I started reading about the development stage of independence I immediately thought about one of the younger classrooms that I get to bring music to once a week. There are six kiddos around the age of 12-16 months. During ‘music time’ they thrive off of repetitive music, uses a variety of vowels and consonants when vocalizing, engages and recognizes familiar melodies, are entertained by musical surprises (i.e. fermatas, glissandos, and silence) and ‘active silence’ works wonders. When I engage active silence it’s almost like I can see their wheels turning in their heads, waiting, wondering what is next, processing what they just heard, etc. It’s a beautiful experience. So glad that you mentioned this in the power point. I often have to explain myself to both teachers and parents why I use active silence.

Lysa Wright

Participant

Working with so many young ages every day present a opportunity for so many examples! The first that popped into my head was when singing my songs that use a lot of sound imitation, it’s always fun to hear not only the children that typically vocalize along with me, but the younger ones of the group that start making sounds just after my song, it’s so great to hear them growing in their abilities!

Ian Crawford

Participant

A few of the classrooms I see came to mind when reading and watching the material on independence. 90% of the classes I see are gathered round in a circle (either with or without teacher support). But there is one class, probably just over a year old, who are scattered throughout the room every time I’m there. A few will be right with me on the carpet, but others are off in a corner, or wandering around. But even while wandering or sitting across the room in a comfy bean bag chair, they are usually engaged in some way. Whether actively listening, smiling, or playing an instrument quietly, they are engaged. It took me a while to get used to the idea that this is ok, and I’m glad you included that in your discussion. I also appreciate that you talked about different ways to encourage and celebrate independence.

BJ Waelz

Participant

I have always tried to let my parents of younger children know that “sitting in the circle” is not yet age appropriate. However, so often the parent fears they are not engaged in class properly unless they are sitting directly and imitating. I try to point out how each child is participating in their way at their level. I have a young man, who is often off on his own usually with his back to his group. It was great to hear this little voice responding to songs through vocalization during pauses and purposeful silence. He made it clear he had been listening and wanted the music to continue. It also helped his mom be comfortable that he was truly engaging.

Laura Myers

Participant

Since I do not currently practice with children, this is difficult for me. However, I do have a 14 month old, so I have been able to see her go through these developmental levels. One example that pops into my mind is the first time she held an egg shaker I bought her at a conference. She grabbed the shaker, and began to shake it. The look on her face when it made a sound was precious. She was so excited. She then began to laugh while shaking it and pointing it to my husband and I for us to shake. This happened when she was about 8 months old.

Ericha Rupp

Participant

Laura~
      Thank you for sharing your story! I too have a little one at home (7 1/2 months) and relate to your egg shaker story. I handed her a pink maraca and she went crazy excited! She absolutely loved the cause and effect and completely enjoyed being in complete control. I can’t wait to introduce her to other instruments. 🙂

Shonda Malik

Participant

I have a three year old client with a potential diagnosis of autism although she is still waiting to be officially assessed. I have observed her displaying characteristics of the control stage. One of our recent goals was for her to learn to answer the question “what is your name?” I used a song with her and after two sessions she sang on the third session “my name is _____”. She seems to understand the question answer form AEB her not singing the question and just singing the answer. Another characteristic of the control stage is that she loves when I match my keyboard accompaniment to her instrument playing, with all of her abrupt stops/start, slow, fast, as well as mimic her vocalizations, and I in turn use different songs to lead her in imitating me.

Adrienne Salmon

Participant

Currently, I am working with a wonderful and very musical little four year old boy with acquired blindness due to brain surgery. Also from the brain surgery, he suffered a stroke and thus is working through some left side paralysis, speech/language delays, and other developmental delays. For most of our sessions, he is really in the awareness and trust stage; we are able to have meaningful musical interactions with him responding appropriately to musical opportunities, etc. However, the most recent session, he started showing stages of independence, singing a song for me that I did not know was one of his favorite. Until this point, we have used mostly nursery rhymes (which he loves, also in this session humming notes of Three Blind Mice and laughing gleefully when I guessed correctly) but he started humming the first few notes of Funky Town! I had no idea he has an affinity towards disco, and when I asked his mother, she said that her husband does play a lot of disco! So not only did he show independence in that session, he also showed how his home environment is affecting his preferences, and although he can not ask for them verbally, he is vocally requesting as well, showing independence.

Anonymous

Inactive

As you continue the training and using these materials in your work I believe you will find that thinking from this developmental perspective will not only be invaluable, but will also help inform the work you do even further. Laura, although having a child is not necessary to be an excellent Sprouting Melodies provider, I have a 12 month old and watching her development has been a great experience and helped me with my work.

Kana Kamitsubo

Participant

I work with children from 6 months to 4 years old in a group setting. In the group with 6-12 months old, most of musical activities I present is to bring their awareness toward the sound, silence and music. Especially, the use of silence is important. When the young babies notice the sound and music, they look at the direction where the sound is coming from. I try to introduce make each activity simple and introduce ideas one by one. I also make sure to take the time for the babies to process new ideas and sounds. Sometimes, I see them moving their tongues and mouths as I and their mothers/caregivers sing to them. As they come to the group class more and more, some babies start to their bodies to the music and it is when I notice that they started to recognize the song, the sound, and the environment.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content