Role of Music Therapy

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies – March 2023 Week 6 Role of Music Therapy

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

Julie Palmieri

Participant

Share your thoughts on the role of music therapy in community-based settings on the forum.

Kimberly Werner

Participant

The role of music therapy in community based settings is multifaceted. Depending on the goals and needs being addressed, these groups can work really well, or can be little more than a social engagement (which is not inherently wrong, bad, or misaligned with MT goals, but may not be a primary goal). Groups can help individuals that may not otherwise have the opportunity to gather to connect with others, can help combat isolation, can become a larger peer network for outside of group session time, and can provide motivation and encouragement to work towards shared goals. Groups can also, unfortunately, go awry if participants are mismatched, or if the facilitator isn’t skilled in managing group dynamics.

Offering participants a shared musical experience can help to break down perceived barriers between self & others, and can cross generations, cultures, languages, and physical/emotional differences among participants.

Leslie Aldrich

Participant

These are good points. I think the isolation piece is huge in my community since we are a lot more rural. There isn’t a lot of groups for children period, let alone tailored, developmentally appropriate groups like music therapy can offer.

Maggie Johnson

Participant

I believe the role of music therapy in community-based settings includes providing a vessel for musical health to flourish in community. I think I’ve already mentioned this in a previous reply, but I’m reminded of music theorist Christopher Small’s description of music being for exploring, affirming, and celebrating ideal relationships (I think of these ideal relationships as values/ideals) through-often- nonverbal means via the gestural language of music. In SM this can look like exploring e.g.: the relationship of the family unit within community, sameness/contrast, “beginnings”(life, development, the musical relationship), rondo form, attachment schemas, V7-I, leading tones, pitch class, baby/parent as listener, passing the torch of musical values to the next generation.

We as a community-based music program can provide opportunities to explore the self, the self-within community, or inter/intra community identities through musical processes. Each SM group gives opportunity for rich musical exploration of the self-child, family unit within community, etc. Community music therapy groups offer a way to “play” with the concept of community in a way that is strengths-based and affirming.

Leslie Aldrich

Participant

Yes! love this. Like Meredith mentioned in the videos for the week, a lot of parents are feeling isolated and not confident in their parenting skills. I think these music therapy groups can help them find that sense of confidence and community within themselves and as part of a whole.

Leslie Aldrich

Participant

Music therapy in community-based settings is a real gift in my opinion because it’s very specialized programing. In my community specifically, there just isn’t a lot of things to do for very young children. Having a music therapy led music program would be wonderful because it’s entertaining for children and parents, but it goes deeper in catering to the children’s developmental needs as well as a bonding opportunity for caregivers and children. Being able to provide entertainment AND education on some important topics is really valuable.

Erika (TeamRH)

Keymaster

Thank you all for these wonderful thoughts and insights!

Katelyn Caruso

Participant

If we are working from the framework of each of us as a musical being, and music as an intrinsic piece of healthy development, I think that community-based music making is essential to the community and individual. While this is important for all ages, I see new parents and their young children as an especially vulnerable group in the population as it is already such a time of tumult and transition, as well as a time of big feelings and joy. How important to share these moments with your own community, or to create a community of people in a similar life stage to connect with. I think having the music as part of this community makes it easy and natural for parents to connect with their children, children to connect with peers, and families connect with each other. Not only do parents get out of the house, but their children get something tailored to them, and the group is set up to be very accepting in a world that is often critical of parenting. Additionally, having music therapy in a community based setting makes it more accessible to all and can include multiple generations, siblings, etc and is a place for everyone to thrive.

Melissa Neitzel

Participant

I like your point about the group being a place of acceptance in a world that is critical of how one parents their child. I feel that is so important.

Melissa Neitzel

Participant

I see community music therapy as connection. I wish I had a SM 1 provider during this stage with my children. It can be a lonely time and it would’ve been nice to connect with people who were currently going through it. Music is a natural way to bring people together, through movement and singing. It can create a sense of comradery between the parents and can offer a safe space for the parents to ask questions and receive validation from other participants.

Christine Wick

Participant

The role of community-based music therapy is to provide a positive and supportive space to connect. Music therapy in these settings can be tailored to meet the very specific needs of the community and can still have a far reach because of how accessible music is. It can become a safe space for people to meet each other and form meaningful relationships while also being a fun opportunity to try something that’s maybe new and different! That magic of community-based settings is bringing people together and supporting opportunities to learn and grow from each other.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content