Role of Music Therapy

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies – Sept 2021 Week 6 Role of Music Therapy

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

Anonymous

Inactive

Share your thoughts on the role of music therapy in community-based settings on the forum.

Rachel Sedmak

Participant

The main thing a music therapist does is address the needs of an individual or group, be that in the traditional form of addressing symptoms, or in a community wellness version. By responding to the needs of the community, music therapists can help to make a positive impact. Making music is a communal experience, so it seems natural that music therapy can play a role in bringing people together for a positive shared experience. Kids are future adults; starting them out with a foundation of how to listen and respect others, and by knowing they are loved are so important as they carry those foundations for the rest of their lives.

Favor Chujor

Participant

I love the point you made about music being foundational! Music is in our DNA, but the right environment can bring out one’s musical tendencies, and music therapy provides that environment. Music therapy can be expressed within the DNA of a person and their community.

Rachel Sedmak

Participant

So true, Favor! Music is in our DNA, which explains why kids are so drawn to music. It’s so wonderful that they are uninhibited in making music, too. I’m not sure when it is in development that a person starts to think they have to be good at singing or playing an instrument to make music. Listening to music is enjoyable, but I think it’s a much more fulfilling experience to participate in the music making. Hopefully these little ones will become life long music makers.

Favor Chujor

Participant

Community music therapy can be an opportunity for members of a community, who may have never crossed paths initially, to engaged in a shared, positive experience. Because we are musical beings, a music therapist can provide a safe and positive environment for community members to come together. Community music therapy can also provide a way to bond with others outside of a music therapy session. Generalization is a huge part of music therapy, and providing this service allows for the music to exist outside of the session and within one’s community.

Mikelia Wallace

Participant

The role of music therapy in communities can be so large, as this course is about Early Childhood, and in this community, we are looking to create a community of children and parents to be social, ask questions, and be developmentally healthy. However, in other roles community-based music therapy is used, it can very so different, for example, I’ve done work in a community-based mental health center, and their goals included wellness, processing experiences, and group cohesion.
      Music is so very ingrained in our lives and can lead us to meet all kinds of people with different experiences, as we all may have experienced in our education, and these different experiences allow us to learn from other perspectives, which I think is truly the role of community in music.

Erika Svolos

Wonderful insights! Thank you each for your contributions here!

Erika Svolos

Wonderful insights! Thank you each for your contributions here!

Amy Berggren

Participant

Music therapy can play a big role in community settings. I think one of the biggest impacts is the ability to bring people together and build relationships. Since music is such a fundamental part of human lives, people are easily able to come together and build relationships over it. As a music therapist, we have the added skills to facilitate and further these relationships. I think this aspect of community-based music therapy is especially important these days as we start getting back into the world post covid.

Sophia Paravalos

Participant

This is something I am very passionate about – the role that music therapy can have in facilities that aren’t health clinics or deep clinical work. Music is a tool that is so powerful and not just for kiddos with very specialized needs. It can support the growth of all developing kids and also act as a strong tool in inclusive classrooms. I believe music is so important in bonding and gathering within a community context alone that when met with professionals who have studied the benefits, and have the skills to facilitate groups with music a the tool, it works magic in a community!

Erik Hylan

Participant

As we all know, Music is a universal language and is something that communities can relate to and connect with. Music therapy in this setting can be the glue that holds us together when so many things in our environment try and divide us. As trained music therapists, we can facilitate experiences that make lasting connections within a community. It can decrease isolation and promote strong healthy relationships between community members. It can be a safe environment for people to learn about each other and themselves in ways that are unique through music. Then, they can take these experiences and apply it to other areas in life.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content