Role of Music Therapy

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies – September 2022 Week 6 Role of Music Therapy

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

Anonymous

Inactive

Share your thoughts on the role of music therapy in community-based settings on the forum.

Samantha M Lawrence

Participant

When we’re talking about the role of community music therapy, I think it all comes back to a non-judgement place where families are supported and support each other. Music inherently fosters support and bonding and as music therapists we can strive to be inclusive and welcoming to all. I loved the note in the videos this week that they have people wear name tags not just for the therapist to learn names, but so families can get to know each other as well.

Celia Grove

Participant

Music therapy in the community I think is to really show the community how beneficial music can be, while being accomodating and accessible. There aren’t too many easily accessible music programs the whole of the community can participate in- a lot of music events are through schools, or some are through religious organizations someone might not be a part of, or not very accessible cost wise (seeing live music or theatre), and music therapy led events for the community can build music for communities and prove how effective and beneficial music can be!

Leeann Mcmorrow

Participant

And schools so often have a trajectory of what they teach at each age/grade, it’s nice to offer community based services that don’t have to follow as rigid of a plan and can be more catered to each child based on their strengths, needs, and interests.

Erika Svolos

Great insights! Thank you all for sharing.

Grace Baer

Participant

I think music therapy is a great resource to parents and caregivers in a community-based setting. Sometimes caregivers can become isolated in the busyness of their day-to-day schedule, but a music therapy group can provide a space to slow down while socializing with fellow parents and caregivers. Parents can feel good about accessing a professional, developmental, insightful, AND fun program that utilizes a unique modality to address important steps in their child’s growth.

Hally Batterman

Participant

I currently run individual sessions at my job at the Music Academy for Special Learners in NY. Many of them are there for “community music class.” This is a form of community music therapy that we consistently promote at ur facility. It gives our clients an opportunity to explore music in ways they might not have been able to in school/day programs. It is accessible to everyone and often ties into their lives outside of our music rooms. For example, I have helped some of my clients prepare for other music program recitals and school theater shows. It definitely creates a sense of community between the client and therapist, as well as the client’s family. Family is often involved in the music and community music therapy can help form connections between the families. This is also very true of Sprouting Melodies groups. As mentioned in the videos, many times, the caregivers are looking for connection between other caregivers in the same position as them. Community music truly brings people together. It also is a great way for music therapy to develop a bigger presence amongst the people so that we can continue to advocate for the field.

Caitlyn Pawelek

Participant

Music therapy can be used to facilitate connections and bonding not only between caregivers and children but between families as well. Connecting families that are experiencing the same things or can relate to one another can aid families in finding a sense of community and support. Not only can kids connect and make friends, but the care givers can as well.

Brenna Sheaffer

Participant

This is such a good point Caitlyn. Since the families will be in groups with others than are going through the same process as them, they can continue to grow a community and a support system.

Brenna Sheaffer

Participant

The role of Music Therapy is an open, fun, nurturing environment filled with unconditional positive regard. Since we are working with caregivers and infants, it is important to be open and positive to support those developmental interactions. It is also appropriate to model ourselves as a resource for all things music and development. We are gentle and fun resource that can support these milestones and provide strategies/tips that caregivers can use or observe at home to continue to foster development.

Leeann Mcmorrow

Participant

Having facilitated a number of children’s concerts at the local library over the last few months, I’m realizing now how much more enriching music therapy-based early childhood groups really can be and I feel very challenged to incorporate more thought and intentionality into my sessions there. I’ve learned so much through this course on how to incorporate parents into the group. I recently read a research study that suggested the #1 thing that parents want in their communities are meaningful experiences they can do together with their kids. Music therapists are so well-equipped to meet this desire in our communities!

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content