Share how you can explain to parents the difference between music for development and music for skill building.

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies Training – January 2014 Week 8 Share how you can explain to parents the difference between music for development and music for skill building.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author

Meredith Pizzi

Keymaster

Share how you can explain to parents the difference between music for development and music for skill building.

Cassandra Mulcahy

Participant

I think the difference between music for development and music for skill building is that:
      – skill-building is more performance and/or educational based,
      – where as developmental music is based more on enjoying and creating music from the natural abilities that a child develops as he or she grows.

Kate St. John

Participant

Music for skill building sounds more performance-based to me, similar to the purpose of the music from a music educator’s perspective being musical goals such as matching pitch and keeping a steady beat. Music for development sounds like it is more about the child’s overall development in communication, social-emotional and motor skills. This matches much more closely with our backgrounds as music therapists, using the music to achieve functional non-musical goals.

Dany Orozco

Participant

I think the name helps explain it: music for skill building is more focused on specific things. Music for development is music used to support the developmental level the kids are in, and like Kate says can develop social and motor skills and communication.

Jennifer DeBedout

Participant

I agree that music for skill building speaks more towards performance or musical ability and that would be the focus of music education versus music for development which looks at the nonmusical focus of developing communication, mobility and motor skills and fostering social skills, more of our focus as board certified mts. In a presentation once, a member of my former music therapy team stated that the difference between music education and music therapy can be in the “intent” of the activity (intervention). While music in the educational approach can be therapeutic in nature it is not the primary focus and, vice versa, music in a therapeutical approach can be educational in nature but is not the primary focus. So, the two compliment each other but it is our role to communicate the “intent” or the focus as we work with groups. We should also communicate the value of both, and the way to extend both types of musical interaction, to our parents as we discuss the overall benefits of attending our groups with their little ones.

Elyse Suhay

Participant

Music for skill-building focuses on a specific thing such as keeping a steady beat or literacy prerequisites. Music for development doesn’t focus on a specific skill, but on the area of development the child needs to have to be able to perform certain skills.

Katie Maurer

Participant

Jennifer, I like the statement about intent. It’s so true that the things we do can be educational in nature, but it’s the intent that separates us.

I think music for skill building is just that, music with the intent to build skills. I can see it extended beyond even just music skills to things like academic skills. Music for development is more holistic and the intent is to support the child’s overall development – social, emotional, etc.

As a piano teacher, I use music as a skill building tool, specifically to develop the skill to play the piano. I can also support the child’s development through the lessons and activities, but the intent is to develop musical skills. I would call this music for skill building.

As a SM instructor/music therapist I use music to support an individual’s development or goals in a non-musical area. Some of the activities/interventions/songs can be educational in nature (I have a geriatric client that really wants to learn how to play the piano, but physically and cognitively will not be able to play independently. However we still use colored dots to play actual songs, but the intent is to not to “learn how to play the piano” but to support the goal of playing for enjoyment.) but the intent is to support the development of the individual. I would call this music for development.

Nancy Bair

Participant

I agree with the above comments! Music for skill building lends itself to more performance or educational based programs. Music for development lends itself to move experiencing the joy and creation of music and the “end result” instead of working towards a specific skill/technique/task. A perfect example is of observing a child swaying or rocking to the music as “music for development” in contrast to a child of the same age being prompted to play a music instrument or participate in a specific manner to “increase their knowledge and understanding” of the music at the moment when they are being asked to participate.

Caroline Gillott

Participant

I must have overlooked this question! Here’s my answer:
      Everyone pretty much hit the name on the head. If I answered earlier, I would have taken the literal approach as some did and agreed with–music SKILL vs Developmental LEVEL. So not to reiterate too much, I will say that I agree with musical skill being more performance based/more specified with a focus on MUSIC and LEVEL being more focused on the human, the body, the science and the ability of the person regardless of age.
      I liked the comment of intent!

Sarah jane Mason

Participant

Music for skill building is music learning for performance. Music for development is about the process, not the performance. It’s about working through each developmental level of the child in their time, when they’re ready.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content